Chapter 5-The Gardenia and The Jasmine

Garden of Confession

*NOTE:This takes place two weeks after the previous encounter. Think of this as December 21nd*

       “Yah, Hyomin! Stay still, will you?” Sunny said shrilly, struggling to pin a makeshift, but intricately designed snowflake to the doorway of the gym.

        “Why can’t you use a ladder, like normal people?”Hyomin complained, body wavering what with the 90 pound girl sitting on her shoulders and what not. Hyomin was currently holding onto Sunny’s legs, fixing the girl’s position to be sturdier. As being recruited to be on the Winter Ball Committee 3 weeks ago, decorations were a part of their to-do list.

         “Hmmmm, good point. I don’t know, sitting on you is more comfortable.” Sunny said, as she was finally able to hook the last of three snowflakes onto the doorframe.

         Hyomin blushed, knowing all together that what Sunny said had no underlying meaning to it, but she blushed all the while.

         “Whatever, just get down shorty” Hyomin teased, causing Sunny to slap the back of the girl’s head harshly. Which turned out to be a not-so-good idea, for that caused the both of them to lose balance, resulting in them becoming a tangled mess of limbs beneath the door frame.

         Sunny stared down at Hyomin, who had somehow ended up beneath her. She was able to feel the latter’s racing heartbeat through the thin space that separated both of them. Sunny blushed furiously, hoisting herself off and Hyomin and pulling her up in the process.

         “This is why you need to use a ladder.” Hyomin said, after moments of awkward silence.

         “Yah!” Sunny said, slapping Hyomin’s shoulder.”We and the others did a pretty good job don’t you think?” Sunny asked, as she and Hyomin stepped back to admire the 3 weeks of work that had been their task.

         They had somehow been able to transform then gym into a winter wonderland type ballroom. White clothed tables could be seen scattered about the gym, fine cutlery and glasses adorning them. The basketball hoops had been transformed into twinkling auras of light, as lines of rhinestones draped themselves over the hoop, twinkling at the light that struck them every now and again. Makeshift snowflakes hung in various spots from the ceiling, spinning in laziness.

          “We make a pretty good team.”Hyomin said, sparing a side glance to the bunny who remained entrance by the completely transformed gym.

           “Indeed, we do. Why don’t I treat us for coffee?” Sunny asked, not waiting for an answer as she already grasped Hyomin’s hand and walked with her down the hallway.

           “Does ‘you treating me’ for coffee involve you sweet-talking the cashier to let you go free?” Hyomin asked, trying hard to keep the bitter jealousy out of her voice.

           Sunny chuckled at the girl’s obvious discomfort,” I’m sorry Hyominnie~.” She cooed, latching herself onto Hyomin’s left arm, a habit that she failed to demolish.

          Hyomin rolled her eyes at the futile attempt to win her over…so futile it worked. The girls snuggled closer together as they walked, Sunny’s head resting on Hyomin’s shoulder, both making their way through the snow covered streets. 10 minutes later they reached the coffee shop, warming themselves up from the freezing cold that was Seoul.

          Hyomin secured them both a booth, as Sunny approached the booth with both cups of coffee in hand.

          “Here you go milady.” Sunny said, feigning a gentlemanly voice as she set Hyomin’s cup down in front of her.

          Hyomin rolled her eyes,” I’m still wondering why I asked you to the Ball tonight.”

          Sunny faked a shocked expression, “How dare you doubt me? It is simply because Lee Soonkyu is perfection.” She said, flipping her hair as she sipped the warm coffee.

          “Right.”

          “Don’t test me Park.” Sunny said semi-threateningly, before her expression changed to be deadly serious. “So what are we going to do about your stupid friend?”
          “Yah! She’s not….well.” Hyomin started defending, before realize she had nothing to say.

          “Not like that. I mean we need to figure out a way to get her to show her identity!”

          “Join the club,” Hyomin said, sighing exasperatingly, ”Stupid Shikshin is too scared to.”

          “Which is why I have a plan..” Sunny trailed, smiling menacingly

          “Shoving them both in a closet won’t do anything.” Hyomin stated bluntly, receiving another light smack on her arm from the bunny.

            “God why is my date so violent?”
            “Shut up and let me tell you my fool proof plan.”

            “Fool proof. Right. Sooyoung’s been hiding her feeling for Jessica for 3 years, going on 4, if by some strange twist of fate Jessica catches her with the flowers, she’d be able to make up some believable excuse.” Hyomin explained, not wanting to break the bunny’s bubble, but it had to be done.

             Sunny leaned back against the leather seat of the coffee shop booth, sighing in exasperation.

             “Oh come on, we could at least try.”

             “If you want to.”

-                                                              -                                                -

Sooyoung lay on her couch, clad in sweatpants and a sweatshirt as she lay flipping through channels, none of the shows catching her eyes until a familiar movie appeared on the screen.

“Hmm, Letters To Juliet.” Sooyoung said, laying down the remote as she began focusing on the screen before her.

 She was 45 minutes into the movie before she received a text message, via vibration

Yo Choi. You’re not coming to the Ball tonight?-KkabYul’

Sooyoung fumbled with the phone as she wrote her reply

‘Not for slow dancing I’m not’

Bzzz Bzzz

‘Waaeeee, don’t you want to see your girl sing?-KkabYul’

Sooyoung thought, although she had already heard the girl sing, she wondered what she would look like in the beauty of the ballroom. Surely the twinkling winter wonderland, sparkling rhinestones and pale white snow would further accentuate the girl’s beauty.

‘Well yeah, but I don’t want to lounge around for an hour just for her to sing’

Lies. Sooyoung would wait until she lost every strand of hair on her head, if it meant it was for Jessica.

‘Liar. The Yul knows everything. But whatever you say, Yoona said Jessica’s going to be backstage at 8:15. Why don’t you come at 8 and drop of some flowers or what not.-KkabYul’

Odd. Yuri never really liked the whole flower idea and suddenly she was encouraging it. Sooyoung glanced at the cable box

‘7:30’

Her shop should be open right now.

‘Sure why not. Thanks for tip.’ She texted back, lying down her phone as she went to the shoe closet and put some shoes on, wrapping a scarf around her neck in the process.

-                                                         -                                                      -

“Perfect!” Sunny exclaimed, ”So when Jessica sees Sooyoung dropping off the flowers, she’ll admit, they’ll fall in love and live happily ever after~”

      Hyomin just rolled her eyes towards the plan she was for sure would fail, as she, Sunny, Yuri, and Yoona sat a table in the dimly lit ballroom, rowdy couples swinging about around them.

       “Can we do what we came here for and dance?”Hyomin and Yuri said at the same time, getting out of their seats as they offered their hands to Yoona and Sunny. The girls both looked at each other, before taking their respective girl’s hands as she led their way to the dance floor.

-                                                         -                                                         -

         Sooyoung stood backstage, marveling at the sight before her. News of the Ice Princess’s performance had spread like wildfire throughout the school, the many encouragement and shouts that she received bringing down Sooyoung’s confidence.

         As she noticed the stacks and stacks of flowers and notes that lay piled backstage, 90 percent of which definitely belonged to Jessica. Sooyoung could hear the principal’s voice calling out to everyone that there would be an ‘extraordinary’ performance.

         Sooyoung then decided that maybe it would be better for her to give Jessica the bouquet later on, as to not pile onto the load that the girl would have to dig through. Sooyoung then made her way into the ballroom, not caring that all she was wearing was a thick sweatshirt and baggy sweatpants, not that anyone really seemed to noticed.

          Little did she know that if she had stayed one second longer she would have been met face to face with a gorgeous blonde, who began rummaging through the piles of flowers, disappointed that the one she had been expecting, was absent.

-                                                        -                                                          -

 

          “Please give a very warm welcome to…Miss Jessica Jung!” The principals’ voice rumbled throughout the ballroom, along with the excited claps that belonged to the student body. Sooyoung amongst them as she leaned against the wall at the far back of the gym, where as her friends wouldn’t see her but she could see them. She could Yoona and Yuri clutching hands, stealing glances when the other wasn’t looking, and she also saw Sunny and Hyomin, who were busy feeding each other, before smearing it on the latter’s face.

            She chuckled, all laughter fading as she took in the sight before her. Time seemed to freeze as she saw Jessica make her way to the platform at the front of the gym. The girl was glad in a knee length white dress, showing her smooth and well shaped legs. Whereas the dress itself wasn’t too close fitting but accentuated her curves and everlasting beauty as the spotlight shone down upon her.

             Sooyoung was right; the twinkling rhinestones in the vast darkness that was ball room sent lines of rainbows down her way, making her look like what Sooyoung had always thought she was.

              An angel.

             The light sound of a guitar made its way through the speakers that were placed firmly around the facility. The couples on the dance floor drew out of their love struck positions back into their dancing stances, moving slowly in sync to the sound of the music.

                And then Jessica began to sing.

                Sooyoung could have sworn the whole room had evaporated, leaving only her and the angel-voice goddess in front of her. Her jaw dropped, as her heart repeatedly and continuously fluttered. Jessica’s voice was so light but heart piercing that it sang itself into Sooyoung’s soul.

                But I’m in so deep, you know I’m such a fool for you

                You’ve got me wrapped around your finger

                Do you have to let it linger

                Do you have to, do you have to let it linger

                Sooyoung knew the song was in English, these being the only lines of the song that she understood. Those being the same lines that melted her heart, filling it up with blonde angel that stood meters away from her. 

                 Those same lines that Sooyoung felt would describe the way she felt about Jessica.

                  Those same lines that for some strange reason, she felt as though Jessica was singing to her.

-                                                        -                                                             -

                  Jessica tugged the leather jacket around her shoulders, cursing herself for not picking a longer dress as she and her friends walked out of the school building, the Ball now over.

                   She was quite nervous up on stage, although she dared to not show it, for she had anticipated a ‘Good luck’ note from her admirer. But unfortunately that was not the case. As soon as she got off stage she was bombarded with compliments from her friends, and compliments from the admirers that still thought they had a chance with her.

                    The dark snowy night invaded her senses, the only sound to be heard were the mild chattering between Yoona and Yuri, Sunny and Hyomin, and Taeyeon and Tiffany. They all made their way towards the parking lot, their feet simultaneously crunching the semi-hardened snow. Another sound invaded her sense as well; the sound of crinkling plastic and paper.

                     She looked down, heart stopping as she picked up the bouquet off of the floor, looking around for any signs of life that could have dropped this off. Finding none, she bent down to retrieve the bouquet of the white ground, causing everyone to look at her from behind in slight confusion.

                      The examined the bouquets, its beauty never failing to stun her. There were beautiful white flowers, maybe 8 or 10 altogether in the wrapped green bouquet. Some looked like small cauliflowers, whereas others looked more opened, their petals slightly resembling those of fans.

                       She reached in the bouquet to find three notes, slightly damp, but dry enough for her to read.

                        ‘Yes these are for you. I didn’t want to leave the bouquet backstage because there were so many. Did you miss me? Well anyway, you looked beautiful tonight, I can’t begin to explain how angelic you looked. Your singing melted my heart, Ms. Jung.

                         Jessica felt her heart beat quicken, as her cheeks heated despite the cold air that surrounded her. She could have been stark in Alaska  and she would have been toasty warm if she had this note with her.

                        She then turned her attention to the second card. This one was not hand written, but rather printed, in a business card like form. It had a picture of the cauliflower like flower on it.

                        ‘Jasmimum sambac, most commonly known as the Jasmine flower. This flower is native to India and has many uses, such as for tea and oil. The meaning behind this flower dates back to Old World times of Asia. This beautiful flower symbolizes grace and elegance.’

                         ‘

                         Jessica smiled as she reached for the third note that had a picture of the opened flower on it.

                         ‘Gardenia jasminoides, better known as the Gardenia is a flower native to Hawaii, Africa, Asia, Australasia and Oceania. This simple flower dates back all the way back to the 1800’s. This flower symbolizes the purity of secret love’

                          Jessica’s smiled widened again, at the thoughtfulness that the person figured she would want to know that flower’s meaning.But a thought invaded her mind.

                          'Is she staying secret forever?'

                          “Hey Jessica, are you okay over there?” Taeyeon’s voice broke through her train of thoughts.

                           Jessica turned around, totally forgetting that she had 6 people that were watching her the whole time. She continued smiling before gesturing to the bouquet and the notes, signaling them that her admirer had struck again. Tiffany squealed and went over to Jessica to read the note. Taeyeon rolled her eyes at her girlfriend’s overreaction over romantic things. Tiffany squealed again at the sincerity and cuteness of the note.

                           Meanwhile, Sunny, Yoona, Yuri and Hyomin all shared an eye conversation that said the same thing.

                          ‘Time for Plan B’

 

 

 

=========================================================================================================

A/N 2,387 words and 6 pages

But I do it cause I love you guys

and since the Hurricane is passing New York today I may lose power for today and tomorrow

Maybe

and since you guys want it so badly

I will indeed prolong this story as much as I can for ya'll

You're lucky that you guys are the best readers ever

This is le Gardenia:

And this is le Jasmine:

 

The song was indeed Linger by The Cranberries

I've never seen Jessica perform it, but I think it'd be awesome if she did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Kspj3OO0s&ob=av3e

Comment and subscribe bbs