Chapter 8-The Panic Project (Dun Dun Dun)

Garden of Confession

 

Park Kahi stood outside of English class 2-B, a Styrofoam cup of coffee warming the palm of her left hand. The hallways were completely deserted, minus the one or two stragglers that hurried towards their first class of the day.

             She took a sip of the hazelnut coffee, allowing the liquid to warm her body before she drew in a deep breath. She made the sign of the cross across her chest and turned the brass knob that led to her classroom. Once she entered the class she was met with a not too surprising sight; most of the girls fixing make up in their compacts, the boys trying desperately to grasp their attention and for Park, Kwon and Choi…..God only knows what they were doing.

              When her presence was thoroughly noted they all scrambled towards their seats, waiting for the voice of authority to speak. Kahi mentally smiled, admiring the discipline that she seems to have been able to instill into the beasts that she dare call teenagers. She smoothed out the invisible wrinkles in her shirt, adjusting her collar before smiling widely at the class.

              “Good morning class. Isn’t today a beautiful day?”She inquired, eyes twinkling under panel fluorescent lighting as she gestured to her right. The windows gave view to a semi-sunny mid-January day, one small beacon of sunlight shining through the gray clouds above and onto the half melted snow on the ledge.

               Her enthusiasm was returned with moans and groans of protest, along with an exceptionally loud and pitiful sounding “Why am I even alive.”

               Professor Park sighed, feeling failure pulsate through her right temple. Unfortunately it could sometimes be quite hard to bring educational excitement to teenagers of today’s society. Almost as though to emphasize her defeat the door of the classroom swung upon, to reveal a tall and slender woman leaning against the doorway.

               “Aha, you’re class sounds like a hoard of dying donkeys. You lost the bet, see you tonight, love~” The figure said, ducking to avoid a chalkboard eraser that was chucked through the doorway.

                “Kim Jung Ah! Attend to your own class why don’t you?”

                “Alright, alright….you still lost though.” Jung Ah said, closing the door just in time to dodge another airborne eraser.

                Kahi dusted off her hands, before turning to the now fully attentive and astounded class; all of which were shocked at the altercation they had witnessed between two teachers.

                “Are you freaking kidding me? I have to assault my wife and colleague to get your attention? .....I don't want to live on this Earth anymore.” She muttered, burrowing through the clutter of files and papers on her desk as the students began chatting amongst themselves about what they had just witnessed.

                “I never said any of you could speak.” She snapped, effectively silencing the class when she found the paper she was in search of.

                 “Since Professor Kim so kindly reminded me, I’m informing you of a 2-3 week joint English project between our class and Professor Kim’s class 1C. Now before you go barging out of the door like a bunch of middle-aged woman at a garage sale I must also add that your partners have been picked by me and Professor Kim beforehand, along with the state that your project will be on. You and your partner will collect 3 pages worth of information; 1 per landmark in each state. Pictures are mandatory and this entire project will be written in English. Surprise.”Professor Park then said, adding obvious sarcasm to the ‘Surprise’, ignoring the whines and groans that once again erupted over the classroom’s occupants. All except the 3 Chodings placed in the back row, two of which were crossing the fingers and mumbling incomprehensible words of prayer and one who was simply drifting off into the confines of her mind.

                    Professor Park shot a cold glare across the room, that once again silence everyone as she cleared .

                   “Please listen for your name, your partner’s name and the state you will be studying.” She said, reading off names on the list, beginning with the front row down to the back. Some people contained bursts of joy while others merely slid down into their seats, thoroughly disappointed.

                   “Kwon Yuri. Your partner is Im Yoona and your state is Florida.”

                    Yuri bit her tongue to contain her happiness, giddiness erupting in nearly every corner of her soul.

                    Sooyoung merely patted her friend’s shoulder, before leaning in and whispering,” We both know what you two are going to be doing when you get together. And it sure isn’t studying.”

                     That earned her a punch on the arm and a fury of contradicting statements from the tanned girl.

                     “Park Hyomin. Your partner is Lee Soonkyu and your sta-“

                     “Sunny.”

                     “Excuse me, what?” Professor Park asked, changing her line of sight to meet Hyomin’s fixated stare.

                      “She prefers to be called Sunny, Professor Park.” Hyomin said clearly, almost daring the teacher to speak against her defense of her girlfriend. As expected Professor Park held her gaze, neither of them wavering before she lowered her eyes and sighed, ”The I put up with.”

                       “You and Lee SUNNY.” She said, emphasizing the new name, to Hyomin’s content.

                        “Your state will be California.”

                        Hyomin smiled in approval, leaning back against her chair before reaching over Sooyoung and fist bumping Yuri at their accomplishment at being paired with their girlfriends.Sooyoung just marveled at the Choding mentality. They hadn’t changed a single bit in the almost 1 month they had been with their respective girlfriends; well of course some things changed.

                         Like the fact that Sooyoung was banned from making height jokes, or that Hyomin had to become Sunny’s ladder 24/7, or that Yuri had to admit to her saggy sleeping tongue habit. She was almost jealous at the way her friends were able to just come clean about their feelings; no worries, no over thinking, just a clean outburst of love. She sighed before sipping from her water bottle, wondering why that characteristic couldn’t find its way towards her.

                        “Choi Sooyoung. Your partner will be Jessica Jung and you’re state is New York.”

                        Almost immediately Sooyoung violently began coughing, water caught in as a hand repeatedly slapped her back, clearing her air passages. All of the class’s attention was fixed on her either in concern, amusement, jealousy, or an obscene mix of the three.

                        Professor Park lowered her eye glasses slowly, but intimidation ringing around her, her voice sending cold enough to re-freeze the slush of snow outside.

                        “Is that going to prove to be a problem Miss Choi?” She asked icily.

                         Sooyoung gasped for breath, eyes still wide from her partner’s identity revelation. She gave the teacher a small smile, not wanting to further trouble her.

                         “It’s fine.”

                          As she slumped into her seat, wondering what she was going to do to survive a 2-3 week project…spending time together……alone…..with Jessica Jung…, she saw a boy from the corner of his hand raise his hand into the air.

                         “Yes Donghae?” Professor Park called uninterestedly, filing through papers for the agendas of that morning.

                          “May I ask permission to switch partners with Sooyoung-sshi?” Donghae asked stridently, a mischievous glint twinkling in his eyes.

                           “NO~!”Sooyoung, Yuri and Hyomin chorused in a deep unison, glaring down the boy who lost the mischievous glint and slowly cowered behind an English textbook.

                           Professor Park merely smirked; for she now knew her judgment over the Choi girl in these past few months had been correct.

                           She had picked the partners beautifully.

                           She took another long sip of coffee, nearly chuckling at how pathetic Donghae looked under the scrutinizing gaze of the three girls; most importantly Sooyoung.

                            She made eye contact with the boy, whose eyes looked as though they pleaded for help. She rested her half empty coffee cup on her desk.

                            “What they said.”

-                                                           -                                                              -

                           "Okay Soo, come on now, deep breaths buddy, deep breathes.”

Shallow, hitched breathing followed the coaxing voice, the inhalation echoing eerily through the confined space. The breathing continued peacefully for a God forsaken 2 seconds before the breaths were spluttered out of the latter’s mouth.

                 “Why the hell am I having a therapy session in a damned restroom, Kwon? Is the scent of radiating piss supposed to calm me down or something?!” Sooyoung demanded furiously, breaking from her meditative trance, her glare hardening as her friend beside her went to great lengths to conceal her approaching laughter.

                  Yuri drew in a few breaths after she silently laughed her insides out as she took in their surroundings.

                  She and Sooyoung were sitting side by side in the handicapped restroom stall (A/N You know that stall that’s always bigger than the rest of them? Yeah that one.) Their backs were pressed against the wall, with their knees pressed against their respective chests as Yuri tried calming down her panic-stricken friend. The same calm and collected friend who violently dragged Yuri out of the cafeteria, claiming she urgently needed to talk to her.

              “Well Soo, you’re notorious for choosing the strangest places for heart-to-heart conversations.”Yuri replied, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively, no doubt referencing to Sooyoung’s untimely run-in with a certain blonde inside of a cemetery.

                Sooyoung’s angry gaze now grew to one of abashment. “Let.It.Go. She found me. It’s pure coincidence.”

                Yuri scoffed, getting a strong whiff of the cheap air freshener that was placed firmly in the bathroom stall’s lone outlet.

                 “Coincidence my . She followed you bro. She freak.ing.Li.kes.yo.u!” Yuri said, now kneeling in front of her friend and knocking her taller girl’s forehead with her knuckles with each emphasized syllable she uttered.

                  Sooyoung swatted Yuri’s hand away annoyingly, resting her cheek on her knees in an attempt to hide her growing blush, avoiding Yuri’s gaze in the meantime.

                 “She doesn’t like me. She likes the person who gives her the flowers.” She mumbled

                  Silence consumed them, only to be broken by Yuri’s sonorous voice.

                  “THAT’S YOU STUPID!”

                  “Well, she doesn’t know that!”

                  “She would if you’d get the balls to tell her!”

                  Sooyoung groaned, extending her legs outward and leaned her head against the tiled wall.

                   “Ugghhh, not this right now alright? That’s not why I called you in here.”

                   “Called me? You make it sound as though you made an appointment. I was brutally dragged here! A case I’m more than willing to show my attorney.”

                   Now it was Sooyoung’s turn to scoff,”Oh please. Like a midget ert that resembles an 8 year old is going to get me 25 to life.”

                   “Don’t underestimate the Taeng yo,” Yuri rubbed her behind, a flicker of pain dashing across her eyes. “Anyway, whaddaya need me for? Dr. Kwon at your service.”

                    Yuri hoisted her body off of the floor and onto the toilet seat’s edge, crossing her legs and laying her on her palm, a philosophical gaze smoldered to her face. She would look quite professional if not for the fact that they were in ill-catered-for girl’s bathroom stall.

                      Sooyoung eyed Yuri once, choosing not to give any remark to her friend’s odd seating plans. Seeing as hers wasn’t any better.

                      “It’s Jessica.”

                      “Oh I know.”

                      “What the-“ Sooyoung’s eyes widened, ”How could you possibly know?”

                      “Seeing as you nearly choked to death when our partners were announced I just made the assumption.”

                       “Oh alright then. But what do I do?!”
                       “……”

                       Sooyoung brought her gaze down from the ceiling to meet Yuri’s less than amused expression. An expression that uncannily resembled the anime icon of ‘-_-‘

                       “What?” Sooyoung asked innocently.

                       “You. Choi Sooyoung. A freakishly tall twig with the stomach of a black hole just got paired up with a 2-3 week project, where you will most likely have to spend time alone with each other, with the HOTTEST, IEST, PRETTIEST, and most sought after girl in the whole freaking school. A.K.A. the love of your young teenage life. Half the school would kill to be you right now. Hell, the other half is probably planning to. Now, disregarding my last sentence, please tell me….WHAT THE HELL IS THE PROBLEM?!”

                        Sooyoung recoiled, not from the ominous tone of her soon to be planned murder and what not, but more of how serious her friend sounded. Something which was rare coming from the Kwon.

                        “Everything you just said is a problem! I have been able to hide my feelings really well over the past 3 years. But now I feel like I can’t hide it any-What is so funny?!” Sooyoung said shrilly, once she saw Yuri stifling with her palm.

                         “Hiding them well? I recall once in freshman year when you bumped into Ms.Jung and you said,” Yuri cleared ,” And I quote ‘rarrghhhflarrhhaaggghh”

                          “You really . As I was saying, I feel like, at any given moment, my heart’s going to explode!”

                           “That’d be interesting to watch…”

                           “Not helping!:

                           Yuri sighed before speaking, ”Look Soo, I don’t know what to tell you. I have a girlfriend. Why? Because I took a chance and told her about my feelings. YOU on the other hand have waited far too long. Maybe this is your heart telling you to confess before you become one of those long lost, depressing love stories.”

                           A confused look from Sooyoung probed her to elaborate.

                          “You know the ones. You fall in love, you wait too long to confess, your love interest gets married, they live happily ever after and you die alone with 43 cats and a parrot name Roger that mimics the voices on your TV. Now tell me, “Yuri peered closer to Sooyoung, squinting menacingly. Sort of.”Do you want to die alone with cats and a parrot named Roger?”

                          “….Wouldn’t the cats eat the parrot though?”
                          “NOT THE POINT!.” Yuri said exasperatingly, rising from her toilet throne to straddle Sooyoung and firmly grasp the girl’s shoulders, ignoring the bewildered look in the girl’s gaze.

                          “Look right now, I’m being dead serious. Something that will never happen again until the day I’m 6 feet under so enjoy it while it lasts. Let.Your.Heart.Lead.You.And.Don’t.Listen.To.You.Stupid.Shik.Shin.Brain.I did NOT let you fall in love with this girl for 3 and a half years to let you blow it.No.No.No.No.No.I shall not allow it! We’re going to college in 8 months, and you know what that means.”
                           “……European food?”
                          “No jackass! We are all going to be split up; it’s inevitable. Nothing guarantees we’ll be going to school on the same continent let alone the same country. So tell her while you can! I repeat. Listen.To.You.Heart. Kayk?”

                           Yuri clambered off of Sooyoung’s lap and back to her parallel positioning against the door the separated their stall from the next. She sat in a position identical to Sooyoung’s, their feet meeting in the middle of the cold linoleum floor.

                           They sat in silence for a long amount of seconds, neither attempting to speak as they analyzed the situation. Yuri wondering how long her friend was going to hoard her feelings. Seeing her childhood friend heartbroken was definitely not on her to-do-list.

                           “But what if I don’t trust my heart?” Sooyoung muttered, low enough to be considered under her breath, but loud enough for Yuri to hear    .

                            “That's synonymous to saying you don’t trust your mom.”

                             Sooyoung ripped her gaze away from the graffiti decorating the bathroom’s walls to meet Yuri’s unbothered stare. Sooyoung’s gaze hardened slightly  at the mention of her late mother in such a crude situation. But once she got the implication of Yuri’s words she drifted her head backwards to rest on the tiled wall. The only sounds at this point were the rhythmic hum of the heater and her and Yuri’s steady breathing.

                             She exhaled from , blowing her bangs up in the process, before letting out a soft chuckled, eyes closing as she did so.

                             ‘It really when you’re right, Yul.”

                             Sooyoung could almost hear the smugness lacing Yuri’s voice as the girl spoke, ”I know. But where would you be without me?”
                             “Well…..”

                             “Shut up.” 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N U GUSTAAAAA?

Yes this is the first chapter without any flower action

I posted this because I felt I was withholding you guys from an update and I didn't want to bore the out of you, so baddaboom!

Plus I'm separating the chapters so I can update faster and prolong the story for you guys and what not

LOL the bathroom scene just popped into my head when I was reading a book and I couldn't help it

I know this is short and sorry if it wasn't what you expected C(:

Yes the projects are relevant

Since we did something similar for my Spanish project, I just converted it to an English class project

Like a boss

LOL I just can't get over how weird the bathroom scene was, but that happened to a friend of mine too so High five for your author's weird life!

Yeaaahhhh, i think that's pretty much all that needs to be said

Adios my lovess

Oh and Donghae has a relevance. But then again, anytime there's a fanfic with a Jessica pairing, Donghae's lil fish face always comes in somehow (LOL that sounded offensive but I'm just kidding)

(P.S. Jung AhxKahi are married teachers here kekekeke. I always find ways to squeeze in my OTPs nyehehehe. Slick Author is slick)

More comments or I'll start delaying my updates!

kekeke I kid I kid

But seriously

I love you guy's comments <3