Chapter 4-The Lilac and The Ginger

Garden of Confession

 

*Note: This chapter takes place 2 Mondays after the previous, so Jessica has already received a flower and is on the verge of receiving another one. So around December 4 let’s say*

           The early days of December were just around the corner, little snowflakes appearing now and again. The days grew shorter and people scurried through the streets, layers of clothing more apparent than in recent months.

           Sooyoung leaned against the brick wall building of the school, tugging at the scarf around her neck as she waited for her best friend to appear.

           She smiled at the sight of an obviously ecstatic Yuri make her way towards her, despite the harsh winds that hastily ripped through the gray Seoul air.

           “Someone looks happy.” Sooyoung said, as she and Yuri made their way inside the heated school, steps in sync.

            “Yoona and I hung out again on Saturday and yesterday~.” Yuri said, sighing dreamily at the end of her sentence.

             Sooyoung rolled her eyes at the friend who was always telling her to be less cheesy, “Why don’t you just ask her out Yul? I mean, the feeling is obviously mutual. Unless you’re too busy staring at her face to notice.”

              “I will, I will. They’re hosting another one of those Winter Balls this year. I’m planning to ask her to be my date.” Yuri said, smiling smugly. “What about you? Eh, eh~.” She added, nudging Sooyoung with her elbow and winking exaggeratingly.

              “Are you ever going to stop bugging me about that?”

              “As a best friend, it is my birth born duty to . But since you two haven’t gotten together yet, I have to get you together…and then .” Yuri explained, her expression deadpan.

              Sooyoung simply said nothing as they both removed their thick outer layers of clothing and placed them inside of their respective lockers. It wasn’t that she didn’t know how to confess her identity, she just thought that Jessica would be disappointed. Sooyoung had seen some of the guys and girls to chase after Jessica. Some of those were dubbed as the handsome guys in the district, claiming themselves as her ‘Ice Prince’, able to get any girl to drop at their at the snap of their fingers. And then there was Sooyoung.  The girl who had never had such a strong attraction to someone until she came across Jessica. How could she, a tall, skinny, shikshin win the heart of an angel?

              “….earth to...Soo…can you….me….CHOI!” Yuri said shrilly, earning passing glances from passersby.

              “Did you say something?” Sooyoung said, oblivious to the continuous ramblings of her best friend.

               “I said, that Yoona told me Jessica’s going to be singing a song for the Ball thingy majiggy.” That got Sooyoung’s attention.

               “It’s just a called a Ball Yuri. No thingy majiggy at the end is needed. And she’s going to be singing a song? I wonder what she sounds like singing…” Sooyoung trailed off, as she watched said blonde girl open her locker, smiling at the flower and note that she found. Her smile, although meters away, made Sooyoung’s heart skip a beat at the latter’s beauty.

               “Well she’ll be practicing in the music room during our free period.”

               “Are you suggesting….”Sooyoung began, finally getting the implication of her friend’s statement as they closed their lockers, making their way to their first class of the day.

               “Oh yeah~.” Yuri said smiling mischievously.

-                                                               -                                                  -

Jessica sat in the heated music room, extracting the lyrics sheets from the piano seat. She studied them closely, surprised that they had chosen an English song for her to perform this year. She was quite close with the music teacher, his singing lessons that she couldn’t taken part of publicly, for obvious reasons.

              Which is why she sat there now, waiting for her music teacher to come as the clock’s ticking was the only sound to be heard in the room as she silently read the lyrics.

               ‘You know I’m such a fool for you

                You got me wrapped around your finger

                Do you have to, do you have to, do you have to let it linger.’

                ‘Why does a person I have never met face to face have such a strong pull on my heart?’

                “Oh Jessica, right on time I see.” A voice interrupted her thoughts, she turned to see her favorite teacher standing in the doorway, arms spread wide as though anticipating a hug.

                “Songsaengnim. You are not a bird.” Jessica stated bluntly, failing to hide her smile as her teacher pouted.

                “I swear you get meaner and meaner every lesson.”

                “Mianhae Jaejoong oppa~.” Jessica said, getting up as she hugged Jaejoong.

                “It’s about time you stopped calling me Songsaengnim, you know it makes me feel old.”

                “But you are old.”

                “Jung.”

                “I’m kidding, I’m kidding.” She said, throwing up her hands in mock defeat.

                 “That’s right, now come on, let’s see how your vocals have improved since last year. Do you like the song I picked out?”

                  Jessica smiled as various flowers entered her mind, the notes of the latter forever etched into her brain.

                  “I love it.”

                                                               *30 minutes later*

                   Jessica exited the music room, waving good bye to her teacher as she entered the empty hallway. As soon as she exited the room she was met with an unusual sight. Parallel to the classroom was a flower taped to the wall. It was an extremely pretty light red flower, the shape of which slightly resembled a pine cone. Although it was mid-December in Seoul, the flower smelt fresh of spring. Jessica could smell the fresh scent of spice that emitted itself from the beautiful flower.  Jessica tore her attention from the flower, heart once again fluttering in anticipation as she read the note.

                   ‘I knew you were an angel, but I never thought that an angel‘s voice could be so beautiful. I’m glad I fell for you.’

                   Jessica blushed at the compliment, wondering how Flower Girl was able to get one on such short notice. But she was blushing for the most part of the last sentence, it had been about five weeks since the flowers had arrived for her, and it was only until just now that Flower Girl admitted to being in love with her. Jessica was elated, extremely elated, although she had not a steady idea as to why. But either way, she found the two sentence letter sweet as she hurried towards her last class of the day

-                                                                        -                                                                      -

      “SSUL, I’M HOME~.” Sooyoung’s voice echoed through the barren apartment, throwing her bag onto the couch in the process. The living room was empty, except for a few scattered bags of chips on the coffee table.

                     Sooyoung scratched her non-itchy head before another voice broke through the atmosphere,” I’M UPSTAIRS.”

                     Sooyoung made her way up the carpeted stairs, opening Sulli’s room door to be met with the eye-smiling girl and another girl, who quite resembled Yoona and Yuri, sitting on her bed.

                      The girl has jet black hair, and her blank expression was cold enough to freeze the warmth in the room and scaring Sooyoung slightly, before she smiled and introduced herself.

                      “Hi, I’m Krystal.” The girl said, as she stood up and gave Sooyoung a ninety degree bow

                      ‘Why did that name ring a bell?’

                       “I’m Sooyoung, Sulli’s older cousin. Uh, Krystal..Jung? “ Sooyoung asked tentatively, wondering if this was the girl that Yuri told her was Jessica’s sister.

                       “Yeah, how do you know my surname?” Krystal asked a confused but friendly expression on her face.

                       “Oh well Yoona told my friend and I about you coming from America to stay with Jessica. I just assumed you had the same last name as her.” Sooyoung explained, not wanting to come off as a stalker towards the girl.

                          Well, I’ll be downstairs if you two need anything.” Sooyoung said, exiting the room, ”Nice to meet you Krystal.”

                         “Bye Sooyoung-unnie.”Krystal said, before turning to Sulli and mumbling, ”You’re cousin’s hot.”, earning a slap on the arm from the latter.

                          Sooyoung chuckled, making her way to the kitchen, beginning to prepared food for her guest, herself, Sulli, and Hyomin and Sunny who she had invited over. She finished the kimbap, samgyupsal and rice in about 45 minutes, placing all items on the table before sitting back on the couch.

                          Suddenly the doorbell rang, causing Sooyoung to reluctantly pull herself off of the couch.

                         “I don’t want your cookies-Oh Hyomin.” Sooyoung said groggily as she saw her best friend and another girl shivering in the doorway. Sooyoung shuddered herself, as the harsh winds from outside entered the warm house.

                         “Choi Sooyoung rejecting cookies? I don’t believe it.” Hyomin said, as she and the girl in the doorway chuckled.

                         “Shut up Hyomin, Hi Sunny.” Sooyoung retaliated, acknowledging the shorter girl’s presence, moving out the doorway to let both girls enter the house.

                          “Hey Soo.” Sunny said, as she and Hyomin began peeling off their clothes and sat down around the table.

                           No one even needed to call down Sulli and Krystal, for the intoxicating smell of food wafted upstairs, resulting in bringing both girls down from their little teen heart-to-heart or whatever.

                            “Krystal? I didn’t expect to see you here.” Sunny said, as the raven-haired girl sat across from her, Sulli to Krystal’s left.

                             “Hi, Sunny unnie~, I just came here because Sulli invited me over.” Krystal said, digging into the scrumptious meat that Sooyoung had prepared.

                             “How do you two know each other?” Hyomin asked, more focused on watching Sunny eat than her own warm plate of food, much to Sooyoung’s amusement.

                              “Krystal just moved here about two weeks ago from America. I offered to show her around and we became friends! Oh wait, I don’t think I know you,” Sulli said, looking at Sunny, ”I’m Choi Sulli, Sooyoung’s cousin. ” Sulli replied excitedly, her eye smile showing threw her full mouth.

                              “Hi I’m Sunny.” Sunny replied smiling before turning back to Krystal.”You’re staying with Jessica right?” Sunny asked, for re-assurance.

                              “Yes, that’s the only way umma would let me come to Korea anyway .” Suddenly, Krystal smiled mischievously, placing down her knife and fork before slightly leaning over the table.

                                “Is it true unnie has a secret admirer that she likes?” Krystal asked, seemingly oblivious to the violent choking attack that dawned itself upon Sooyoung, which was fortunately saved by Hyomin violently slapping her back.

                                 Sunny looked from Sooyoung’s I’m-okay-now gesture back to Krystal, before remembering the bit of information that Jessica had shared with her.

                                 'In the note she said thanks for taking care of my cousin. And the girl I was helping, her name is Choi Sulli. Do you know anyone with that name?’Jessica had said one night over the phone. Sunny had said no, pitying her friend who was aching to find out who her admirer was.

                                Sunny mentally fan girled, glad that she was able to solve the mystery of the Flower Girl. Well sort of. She looked at Krystal, making sure Sooyoung heard every word she said,” Like would be an understatement. I’m pretty sure she’s in love with them.”

                               Sooyoung’s eyes widened, before she re-focused her attention onto her meal, ignoring the confused glances from her cousin.

                               Krystal giggled, ”It’s about time! Yoona unnie told me everything! Does she have any idea who it is?”

                               Sunny chuckled,” Not a single clue.” She was amused that Sooyoung’s expression now grew calm.

                               “Aw man, I wanted to go huntin’.” Krystal said, leaning back in her chair and pouting, chewing the last bits of her dinner.

                               ‘Don’t worry Krys, we’ll be going huntin’ soon enough”, Sunny finished laughing at the girl’s triumphant fist pump, before giving a last sparing glance to Sooyoung who was busy devouring half of Sulli’s plate.

                               “Well Hyomin and I have to go back to my house, Bye Sooyoung, Krys and nice meeting you Sulli.”Sunny said dragging the confused taller girl out of her seat “Thanks for a great dinner, Sooyoung.” Sooyoung smiled, and waved rubbing her contentedly full stomach.

                              Hyomin and Sunny retrieved their clothes, waving once last goodbye before exiting the house.

                              They walked quietly through the dim streets, harsh winds able to be heard whistling through the now barren trees, before Sunny spoke up.

                               "Sooyoung is Jessica’s admirer isn’t she?”

                               Hyomin choked on air, before frantically thinking of an excuse, ”I have n-n-n-no idea what you’re talking about.” She spluttered out, failing to hide her nervousness.

                               Sunny rolled her eyes, but was amused at the taller girl’s cuteness.

                               “Come on Hyominnie, I just figured it out. I swear I won’t tell Jessica~.” Sunny whined in her aegyo voice, holding onto Hyomin’s right arm as she laid her head on her shoulder.

                                Hyomin felt her cheeks flush from the intimate contact before sighing. Sooyoung would have to tell Jessica sooner or later.

                                “Fine, fine, fine yes she is Jessica’s admirer. For quite a while now actually.”Hyomin answered, hoping she’d be doing her friend a favor.

                                “I knew it! Come on.” Sunny said, dragging Hyomin through the streets,  ignoring the girl’s protests to slow down.

                                “Why are we rushing?” Hyomin asked, despite the cold wind that contacted her face with every 2 steps.

                                “We’re gonna make a plan.” Sunny said, mischievously, ignoring the tingling sensation that came as she moved her hand down Hyomin’s arm to clutch the girl’s hand.

-                                                  -                                                        -

                      “Ooooh~. This would be Syringa vulgaris, known as lilac. It represents first love” Seohyun said, referring to the small bundle of light purple flower that her unnie had handed to her. The comment about first love making her blush..”And this is a pretty one unnie. This would be Nisi She, the ginger flower. It represents being proud of something.” Seohyun cooed, referring to the flower Jessica had received after her vocal practice, much to Jessica’s delight.

                   Seohyun had begun getting used to Jessica’s weekly visits, although this specific one was unexpected, for she came with two flowers. She would have found it odd if the girl hadn’t visited her once during those 5 days.

                    “I appreciate this a lot Ju Hyun.” Her unnie said, exiting the botany lab again, as she had down 5 times in a row.

                     Seohyun smiled and simply waved, at her unnie’s retreating figure.

 

 

========================================================================

A/N -The reason why Sunny and Hyomin were together will be revealed next

6 pages and 2,360 words on Microsoft word

But I do it cause I love ya'll

-This story may end in 3 or so chapters

Or not since 'WOOOOT' doesn't want me to (;

-JungLi will be relevant

-Sunny is observant yo

And these are the flowers:

Lilac:

Ginger flower:

I hope you all gusta'd