Chapter 1-Anemone

Garden of Confession

 

        It was a normal November day for a certain young blonde. As she made her way though the semi packed hallways of her high school,her  best friend in tow.

       She ignored the ever present stares that seemed to haunt her every move,the whispers of her breath-taking beauty that could easily reach anyone's ears,or those who went weak at the knees when she made a brief eye contact with them. She was accustomed to this by now,her angelic grace seemed to never tire this student body,even in her final year attending this high school.

       3 years of nervously unprepared confessions,sweaty palms with a quivering rose in between them,cheesy lines stolen right out of romantic comedies.She mentally scoffed,it's as though the word 'creativity' had never crossed the hormonal teenage mind.

       She made her way to her locker,as she opened it she was not surprised to find dozens of love letters scattered amongst her textbooks.She felt it was just unlucky for her that the lockers' vents were wide enuogh for items to slip in.

        "Seriously Sica,you need to get ugly." Tiffany said,peering over her best friend's shoulder to get a view of the scattered confession that would only be read by a trash can.

        Jessica chuckled lightly at her friend,she had to admit that would everything much easier.

        "I wish Tiff,I wish." she said pulling out a Science textbook from the white hoard of hearts.

        She closed her locker,turning away in the process before a fluttering blur of red and green entered her peripheral vision.Thus gaining her attention.

       "What the-"she mumbled,as she bent down to pick up the foreign object.

        She then realized it was a flower.Not one of the cliche flowers that always seemed to associate itself with her admirers,but a flower that she has never recalled seeing before.A flower with a stem of no more than 5 inches long,its wide dark stiigma decorated five rub red petals. A small note was attached to the stem of the flower,with what was assumed to be a bread tie,written hastily in Hangul.

      "This will most likely never reach you eyes,but I can always try. I'm scared but I'm willing to take a chance for you." she read out loud,under neath her breath but loud enough for Tiffany to hear.

      "What's that Jessi?" she asked,once again peering over her friend's shoulder.

      Jessica rose from her current half-kneeling position,giving the flower and note to her friend.

      Once Tiffany read it she squealed,"Eeeeek~,that is so cute!Different...but still cute!" she said,her crescent eye smile ever present on her face.

       It was times like these that made people wonder how the bubbly Tiffany came to be friends with the Ice Princess.

       But Jessica nodded,a small smile twitching up the corners of her lips. Unlike others that claimed the latter was her 'soulmate',this one seemed not so sure. They had an attraction to her but they weren't going to porclaim their alleged love for her,as others have done in the past.This thought gave Jessica enough reason to not throw the flower away.      "What's that Jessi?" she asked,once again peering over her friend's shoulder.

      Jessica rose from her current half-kneeling position,giving the flower and note to her friend.

      Once Tiffany read it she squealed,"Eeeeek~,that is so cute!Different...but still cute!" she said,her crescent eye smile ever present on her face.

       It was times like these that made people wonder how the bubbly Tiffany came to be friends with the Ice Princess.

       But Jessica nodded,a small smile twitching up the corners of her lips. Unlike others that claimed the latter was her 'soulmate',this one seemed not so sure. They had an attraction to her but they weren't going to porclaim their alleged love for her,as others have done in the past.This thought gave Jessica enough reason to not throw the flower away.

       "Yeah.But why this flower?I mean yeah it's pretty but I would have expected a rose or something."Jessica said,a confused expression taking place over her features.

       "I'm not sure.Maybe the flower has a different meaning than a rose!"Tiffany said excitedly "You should take it to the botany lab after school,Seohyun could tell you what it means."

       "Sure,why not."She said. She put the textbook down on the floor gently,before carefully putting the flower's stem in between the folds of the note card. She then picked up the textbook and placed the flower+card gently in between the cover and the first page.

        "Come on,I want to get there early enough so I can sleep."she said,dragging a smirking Tiffany along as the hallway's population began to thin.

         "What are you smirking about?" she asked ,once they had both taken their seats in the back of the classroom. 

          "Oh nothing,"Tiffany jeered,false innocence dripping throughout her sentence "Just that I've never seen you show any interest towards one of your admirers before."

           Jessica scoffed"Oh shut up,I never said I was interested. It's mere curiousity.Besides,I've never seen you show any interest to anything besides Taeyeon's bedroom and you don't see me complaining about it."

          That remark cause Tiffany's cheeks to flush,a pinkish tint adorning them,since she knew that what Jessica said was true.As if on cue a familiar short figure made its way over to their seats.

          "Hey Sica,Hi Fany."Taeyeon greeted,smiling cheesily at the duo,mostly Tiffany.

           Jessica merely tilted her head, a sign that she was about to enter her most sacred ritual of the day: sleeping. She crossed her arms on the desk and laid her head in them.

          "Hey Tae-Tae." Tiffany said,mood brightened by the sudden presence of her girlfriend.

           "How has your morning been so far?" Taeyeon asked,her attention no towards her and Tiffany's intertwined hands rather than the question she had asked.

            "Nothing eventful for me.Although...."she trailed off,eyeing the sleeping beauty as she did so 'Jessi's showing an interest in one of her admirers." She said chuckling menacingly.

             A chilling presence to her left could be felt,enough to stop her maniac-like chuckling. She gulped,turning to be met with the icy glare of the infamous Ice Princess.

           "I-I-I love you."She said in English,a forced smile showing her uncomfortableness.

           The blonde continued glaring for another moment,before giving her friend a sweet smile that only a handful of people have had the pleasure to see.

           "Love you too"she said,before returning to her previous sleeping position.

            Tiffany let out a breath of relief as Taeyeon chuckled at the two American girls' display of affection.

            "Let's hope this 'Interesting Admirer' can put up with her mood swings."Taeyeon mumbled,much to Tiffany's amusement

            "I heard that Kim!"

                      *                     *                       * 

         "Unnie,why are you staring at that flower?" Yoona,one of the small clique of friends that Jessica had come to love,asked. The clique consisting of Jessica herself,Tiffany,Taeyeon,Yoona and Sunny. They were the only people that she trusted with her secrets,for everyone else chose to be near her simply because of her looks.

         Jessica had been twiddling the flower between her fingers for most of the period, a smile taking over her features. She had been so overly-blissed with the flower's beauty that she hadn't eve noticed the 4 confessions that had taken place just in the past 23 minutes. It surprised her friends more that she didn't even seem to realize her own actions.

         Stopping Tiffany from giving an embarassing explanation Taeyeon spoke up "One of her pursuers gave it to her. She's like obsessed with it" Taeyeon said,ignoring the cold glare she received in return.

         "Unnie,can I see it?"Yoona asked,her outstretched palm extending over the table.

         "Sure Yoong~" Jessica replied,placing the flower's green stem gently in Yoona's nimble fingers,before turning to Taeyeon,her glare once again fixated on her. "And I am not obsessed,just intrigued.It's not an eve- YAH IM YOONA,DO NOT EAT THE FLOWER!"She yelled,ignoring the incredelous stares that she gained from surrounding tables.She frantically but gently removed the flower from the raven haired girl's clutches,before it twas meant to be devoured by said girl.

          She held the flower in her hands protectively,ogling Yoona with an "Are-you-out-of-your-damned-mind" look

          Yoona shrugged casually,"I though it would taste like berries." she said bluntly,focusing her attention to her half eaten kimbap.

          Jessica stared at her again,awed at the people that she associated herself with.She looked up,able to see that a tanned girl from a nearby table was looking at their direction. In specific,her loving gaze was directed solely to Yoona.Jessica smirked internally before calling out to the Shikshin.

          "Hey Yoona,isn't that the girl you like?" Jessica asked,once she had caught Yoona's attention she tilted her chin to the direction of the table observing the interaction between Yoona and the tanned girl.

          Yoona turned around,eyes meeting with the other girl,before both parties turned away,a hint of red evident on both of their faces.

          Yoona turned her gaze over to the window,trying desperately to get rid of her blush.

          "Y-Yeah.But I don't think Yuri-sshi would be interested in m-SQUIRREL!" 

          The bickering TaeNy couple stopped what they were doing to join Yoona's gazing at the furry brown tuft of fur that was sitting on a tree branch.

           Jessica dropped her head and rubbed the bridge of her nose,tapping the flower against her left temple.

          "I'm surrounded by idiots."

                      -                                -                       -

        In the botany lab stood a tall,ebony haired goddess,who was so focused upon the plant in her hands that she didn't notcie the extra presence that had made its way into the lab.

       "Seohyun!"

       The younger girl nearly dropped the white potted plant,as a familiar high pitched voice broke her train of thought.

      "Heh heh,sorry did I scare you?" Jessica askedrubbing the back of her neck sheepishly as she made her way over to Seohyun.

      The girl smiled shyly,placing the pot down with gloved hands as she turned to Jessica.

      "Not at all unnie.What do you need?" she asked,taking off her gloves as she spoke.

      "Umm well I was wondering if you would happen to know the meaning behind this flower?"Jessica asked tentatively. She reached into the front pocket of her bag,of which she had taken great care to not squash the delicate flower. She took out the beautiful plant,placing it into Seohyun's palm.

      Seohyun gently the smooth stem of flower,before lightly rubbing the rub red petals and smiling.

      "This would be an anemone unnie." she said,looking up to meet Jessica's confused expression.

      "That thing Nemo lived in?" Jessica asked,in all seriousness

       Seohyun chuckled at her unnie's botany naivety."Aniya,that's a sea anemone. This is Anemone coronaria,related to the Pulsatilla family of flowers. The meanings vary but it mostly deals with sincerity." She explained,allowing Jessica's confused expression to lighten as formed an 'O'.

        So this person was trying to express their sincerity . But unlike her other admirers this person wasn't trying to make a grand show of it,in that sun streaked room Jessica found it...sweet .

        "Ohhh,thanks Hyunnie!" She said,taking the flower back before placing her textbook in her bag,zipping it up and throwing it over her shoulder

        "You're welcome Sica-unnie. One of your admirers?"Seohyun asked,out of sheer curiousity.

        Jessica just bit her lip before uttering a faint "Yeah"

        Seohyun nodded in her understanding,although she was mentally smiling at the way that a simple flower cause her unnie to react.

        "See you later Ju Hyun!" Jessica said,as she was already halfway out of the lab exit.

        "Bye unnie~" Seohyun replied,as she re-applied her gloves and began re-inspecting her white Gardenia

================================================================================================

 


        

Chapter Summary

-We meet Jessica

-Jessica gets a flower and a note from an admirer

-Finds out the meaning via Seohyun

-Likes this current method so far

This is what the flower looks like: