XIX;

Sweeter Than Fiction

"I don't understand why though,"

Jiyong entered the room just in time to see Chaerin pressing her palms to her head as she sat down; an equally devastated looking Baekhyun kneeling before her.

He closed the door behind him and walked towards the bed. "Is everything okay?" He asked as he scanned the room, then back at only two people seated at the edge of the bed.

Chaerin abruptly stood up and walked to the washroom, not paying any heed to Baekhyun's calls or Jiyong’s presence.

The latter quietly watched as the young doctor silently pushed himself up on his feet and ran his palm through his face in frustration.

"What is she mad about?" Jiyong asked as he pursed his lips and sat the fresh bouquet of white roses on the table beside the window.

Baekhyun heaved a sigh before turning to look at Jiyong with tired eyes. "She's mad at me for not wanting her to go through with the surgery."

Jiyong formed a small O with his mouth and nodded. "She's quite stubborn, isn't she?"

"Yeah," Baekhyun mumbled as he scratched his elbow. "I... I also opted out of the procedure. I can’t do it."

Hearing this, Jiyong looked up and knit his brows together. He knew how badly Chaerin wanted Baekhyun to be the one to perform the surgery on her. She trusted him the most, even if he wasn't the most experienced or the best at the field- she just wanted her friend to be by her side while she went through the whole process.

"That's all that she'd been talking about ever since the proposal for the surgery was approved, Baekhyun." Jiyong supplied, although he knew why Baekhyun was doing what he was doing. "She trusts you."

Baekhyun closed his eyes and pressed the bridge of his nose as he dropped his shoulders. "I'm not qualified enough. I.. I will only slow the rest of the team down and... I won't risk that. I can't risk Chaerin's life."

Feeling torn, Jiyong settled his blazer on the bed as he gave the young doctor a pat. “I’ll try to talk to her,”

Baekhyun only managed to nod quietly as he gave a quick bow and exited the room, giving the two the privacy they needed.

Jiyong ed his cuffs and walked towards the door, softly knocking it. "Chae,"

A few seconds passed before a squeaky voice answered- "G-go away,"

"Honey, can I come in. Please?" Jiyong asked again, leaning his forehead on the door. "I have to leave for a meeting in a few minutes and I don't have much time."

A minute later, the door opened revealing a red-eyed Chaerin wiping furiously at her swollen eyes.

As soon as she stepped out, she crashed over to Jiyong, wrapping her arms around his neck and sobbing inaudibly.

"Come on Chae, don't cry." Jiyong cooed as he rubbed his fiancé’s back and pressed a kiss over the crown of her head. "Tell me everything, okay? Tell me whatever’s on your mind."

Nodding obediently like a child, Chaerin held onto Jiyong's arms as she dragged her foot to her bed and crawled under the sheets that Jiyong held up for her.

Her eyes searched for that ever smiling friend of hers around the room but found nothing but stillness.

"I was told you didn't sleep a wink last night." Jiyong said quietly. "What's wrong?"

"You weren't here." Chaerin replied. "I couldn't sleep."

"It wasn't because your head hurt, right?" Jiyong asked seriously as he took a seat right beside the bed and reached for her forehead, pressing the back of his palm over it.

He knew how Chaerin didn't like taking medications and would often avoid eating them as much as possible.

"Just a little," She confessed with a small lop-sided smile. "It's gone now though."

"Okay," Jiyong breathed a sigh of relief as he tucked her in and glanced at his watch before resting his chin over the edge of her bed, directly facing her. "I'll be flying to Jeju in half an hour. Do you want me to bring you something? Anything,"

Chaerin shook her head as she closed her eyes and ran her hand over his jawline. "Just come back safely."

Jiyong smiled a sad smile as he leaned into her palm and kissed it.  "Of course, I will."

 

 

 

 

"Chaerin-ah,” the young resident- Dr. Go peeked through the small opening of the door.  After confirming that it was indeed her, he stepped in, holding a clipboard to his chest. "Hi," he smiled.

"Hello," Chaerin replied, looking up from her diary. "I've already taken my dozes." She said, thinking that the doctor had come to check.

However, contrary to her assumption, the doctor shook his head with a warm smile gracing his lips. "I've been sent to inform you of the rescheduling of your surgery."

Chaerin raised her brow quizzically. "Rescheduling?"

"I'm afraid Dr. Yang will be leaving for the States day after tomorrow for a very important conference." He paused for a minute and watched as Chaerin closed her diary, slipping it under her pillow. "I'll be preparing you for a biopsy in an hour. The results will be out in 5 hours so, if they are favourable, you'll be prepared for the surgery for tomorrow."

A sudden panic rushed through Chaerin's mind as she thought of going through it alone, now that Jiyong was Jeju.

She shook her head at the doctor. "No, I... I'm sorry that's-"

"Are you waiting for someone? Kwon-nim, perhaps?" Dr. Go asked. "Can they make it today itself?"

Chaerin shook her head again. "My fiancé, he... He won’t be back until next week."

The doctor sighed. "Dr. Yang will be gone for a month Ms. Lee. If you don't do the surgery tomorrow, I don't think you'll be able to do it before your wedding, which is in a month, I believe.”

Chaerin nodded as she bit her lip.

“I'm sorry."

Chaerin raised her head and passed the nurse a warm smile. "Don't be sorry, it's not even your fault."

Still, the young doctor apologized again for the sudden change in plans.

"Can you call Mr. Byun for me, please?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Ask Dr. Yang to cancel his meeting or postpone it for some other time." Baekhyun shouted over the phone, talking to the said person's intern. "I don't care if it's a WHO meeting for Ebola. This is my best friend we're talking about. She’s not ready yet, aright!?"

Chaerin winced at his harsh tone. She crept to the edge of her bed and nudged him on his side. "Don't yell at him, Baek."

Baekhyun sighed and hung his head low as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "Forget it," He breathed out tiredly onto the phone.

Chaerin gulped as she watched her friend slip his phone into his white coat in slow motion. "Baek,"

Baekhyun hummed and ran his hand through his hair in frustration.

"I'm sorry for this morning." She mumbled timidly, eyes placed downcast.

Baekhyun smiled despite his frustration and ruffled her hair lightly. "Silly, I should be the one apologizing." He said. "I'm sorry for not being strong enough for you."

Chaerin lifted her eyes and weaved her hand around his neck as she embraced her friend, her only friend in this whole world. "It's okay. I get what you mean now." She mumbled against chest. "I wouldn't be able to cut your head open either."

The two friends chuckled lightly as Baekhyun gently caressed her hair, knowing that she wouldn't have her hair anymore after the surgery. "I'm going to miss this." He mumbled as they pulled away.

Chaerin pouted unwittingly. "I'm going to be bald. Bald and ugly,"

"Don't worry Chae, I'm sure Jiyong Hyung will love you regardless." He patted the girl on her shoulder.

"Then I guess he can love Vin Diesel too." She joked, causing Baekhyun laugh out loud.

"Hey," he said as he tried his best to supress his laughter. "Don't be so sour. You should be happy that you didn't shed any of your hair through your chemo sessions."

Chaerin heaved a sigh and leaned against the metal head post. "Yeah,"

A comforting silent moment later, Baekhyun removed his shoes and crossed his legs on the bed.

"What're we going to do?" He asked, his tone suggesting helplessness and desperation. He knew he couldn't just ask Dr. Yang to rule out his WHO conference. It was for a good cause.

As selfish as he wanted to be right now and wished that Dr. Yang would cancel everything for the sake of his friend and her fiancé. He knew it wasn't possible.

"I can't ask Oppa to come back." She mumbled, gnawing her lower lip. "It's a very important business meeting and neither can we ask Dr. Yang to cancel his meeting."

Baekhyun nodded quietly.

"But what we can do is go through the surgery without having to trouble anyone, right?" She sat straight and placed her hand on his knees. "We'll just inform Sehee Emo. Besides, I'll be back fit and fine." She grinned.

Baekhyun, despite being against not telling Jiyong about the surgery, agreed to the plan as he gave a small nod and watched her as she smiled.

He just didn't have the guts to rub it off her face.

 

 

It's the reason I fell in love with my bestfriend.

 

 

 

 

 


Hi guys~ 
I don't even know how to apologize, because I know every word that comes out of my mouth would sound like a lie- like the liar that I am. T___T 

I don't have any excuses for my absence. 
In all honesty, I just lost my touch and inspiration for this story with the amount of on-going stories that I have.
 

Let's have a talk about your opinions on CL's US debut, 2NE1 not winning any of the Daesang awards despite slaying international charts, 2NE1 not even being nominated for the best MV/ Album of the year in MAMA.
I could rant on and on about this.... Oh! Not to forget Bommie's absence in the sbs gayo because of those knetz- effing schmucks!