XVII

Sweeter Than Fiction

tumblr_n6jgbbboEY1sz6du8o1_500.jpg

~Chapter seventeen~


 

“Are you alright Chaerin?” Dami asked as she placed her hands on the said one’s shoulder gently as she coughed. “Get Agasshi a glass of water.” She ordered and like a bunch of slaves, the employees at the boutique rushed to grant the queen her wishes.

“I-I’m fine.” Chaerin feigned a smile; raising her hand to gesture she was doing okay. “My saliva went through the wrong pipe I think,” she smiled sheepishly as she straightened her back and swallowed hard. “Sorry,”

“There isn’t any need to apologize.” Dami said as she took a few steps backwards to check the dress out in its full view. “Wow!” she exclaimed, clasping her hands together. “It really did come out well.” She beamed, rushing forward to place the veil over Chaerin’s head. “P-Perfect.”

Chaerin gulped as she twirled around and met face-to-face with her reflection. It was a miracle that her jaw didn’t drop to the floor with how beautiful and exquisite the dress looked. Although she’d never gone as far as imagining her own wedding dress (because she simply didn’t think she’d ever get married), she was sure this was how it would’ve looked if she did. “Unnie, t-this is beautiful.” She croaked, her voice cracking due to sudden rush of emotion.

 

If only mom and dad could see me. She thought miserably as she dabbed the heel of her palm on her eyes and took a deep breath. This wasn’t the time to feel emotional. This was the time for her to look forward to her future with Jiyong; the one and only who held the key to her heart.

“It’s okay to cry Chaerin,” Dami’s voice reached her ears and she shook her head to deny it but realized that it was already too late.

“I-I’m just—”

“I know,” Dami smiled through her own glassy eyes and gave the girl a hug before brushing her hair behind her back to reveal her lean shoulders. “Cry all you want now Chaerin-ah because you know what?” she asked with a chirpy tone as she fixed the train of the dress. “My brother is never going to let you cry again.”

 

 

“This is not acceptable!” Mrs. Kwon cried as she pushed her fist to her temples. When she’d received a call from her son asking both her parents to meet him at the conference hall at the K-corps building in Myeongdong, she hadn’t expected him to say what he’d said.

“I’m getting married,” Jiyong stood firm, his hand clenched into tight a fist. He had a hunch that this was the reaction he’d be getting, but for the sake of his happiness, he thought, maybe just maybe they’d give him their blessings. “I love her.”

Mrs. Kwon blew out a puff of air with sarcastic chuckle as she stood up and stared at her silent husband, sitting with clasped hands; unmoving. “And there’ll be a dozen more,” she reasoned shamelessly. “You can’t just marry someone just because you love them.” She glared at her son then turned to look at her husband. “Say something to him would you?” she cried in exasperation.

“Did you just hear yourself mother?” Jiyong shouted in disbelief and moved forward and averted his gaze to his father. “Father,” he said in a much calmer tone. Ignoring his mother’s inaudible grumbling; he leaned his hands on the table and knelt down. “I know this is sudden and you certainly weren’t expecting this. But, I just wanted you to know before it got out to the press.” Despite all the shouting his mother had done earlier, a smile crept to his face at the thought of spending the rest of his life with the person he loves. “Chaerin, s-she is beautiful, smart, and witty. She’s everything I’ve ever wanted. Father—”

“Kwon Jiyong,” Mrs. Kwon shouted in exasperation. “I did not raise you to become like this. Rebelling against your parent’s wishes?” she shook her head in disbelief. “What has that girl done to your senses? Are you—”

“Quiet!”

Both mother and son whipped their heads around to look at the head of their family, Mr. Kwon rise up from his seat, closing his eyes as if his head hurt. It probably did. “We’re all adults here, let’s talk like one.” He simply said as he moved away from the chair and proceeded to pat his son on his shoulder as he headed towards the door. “Let’s talk somewhere else.” He nodded his head towards the balcony and Jiyong pressed his lips into a thin line before following and passing his mother a scowl.

Just as soon as they reached outside and the cold hit him, Mr. Kwon pulled out a pack of cigarettes and offered it to his son who simply shook his head. “You quit?” he asked, surprised. He’d never really appreciated seeing his son smoke ever since his teen days but he was never the type to force him to do something when he himself did it. “Since when?”

Jiyong shrugged as he took the lighter from his father’s hands and lit it for him. “I don’t know. Since I woke up from the accident I suppose.” He answered, unsure. Pressing his back against the glass rails, he lift his head up and looked at the darkening sky, closing his eyes as he let out a steam of air through his mouth. “She makes me want to be a better person.” He answered, this time sure of his answer.

Jiyong’s father smirked as he let out a puff of smoke and tapped the cancer stick before sticking it back to his mouth. “You seem to like her a lot.” He casually commented and the boy nodded his head with a silly smile on his face.

Kwon Daemyun had always wanted to have a bonding time with his son. As surreal as it sounded, his family was all that mattered to him. However, his status and position had never made it seem like it and he highly regretted the times he sent his children away to boarding schools when all he wanted was to watch them grow up and be the persons that people loved and looked up to.

His entire life, he worked hard day and night to prove his worth to his father; a kind of father he never wanted to be to his children, but due to unforeseen circumstances, became one. He’d wished his children would never have to spend their youth like he did, going around for meetings and conferences, interviews, media appearances and what not. All he wanted was for them to spend their time like normal people, going for movies, taking a stroll near the Han River, singing at karaoke bars. But when he saw his son becoming the kind of person he didn’t wish for; the kind that would live his life inside the office, not even sure of what day or month of the year it is, he became convinced that being born in this kind of blood was a doom.

Until now,

 

“You said her name’s Chaerin,” he noted and Jiyong blinked his eyes open to look at his father with a disbelief look on his eyes.

“Y-Yes,” he murmured, running a nervous hand over his hair before clasping them together. “Lee Chaerin,”

“It’s a beautiful name,” Daemyun commented before flicking the cancer stick away and glancing at the door where he could see his wife walking around the conference room with knitted eyebrows. “Your mother wants what’s best for you.”

“She’s the best for me,” Jiyong replied quickly feeling his anger boil up due to the mention of his mother. “I love her, father.”

“What happened to Hyomin?” Mr. Kwon asked, curious about what had happened to his friend’s daughter and his son. Back in 2007, it was the first time Jiyong had ever publically shown his girlfriend to the world, deeming her his “first love” in a few interviews he’d had during their relationship.

“We were kids then,” Jiyong replied in a casual tone. His father had expected him to be uncomfortable, but seeing his casual front he knew his son had moved on. “I was intrigued with the idea of love and all that. I guess I did love her, but not like I love Chaerin.” He said as the corners of his lips curled up. “It’s different. She’s different.”

A flashback of his own filled Kwon Daemyun’s mind as he thought about his youth days when he too, talked like this.

Her name was Jooyi, Hwang Jooyi; the eldest daughter of their head house maid. He’d met her when her mother brought her over to the Kwon mansion to help her when a few of the maids had taken leave for thanks giving.

Ever since, they’d formed a beautiful friendship, the kind that couldn’t be described in words. She saw him through his mask and he saw her in her purest form. She’d offer her shoulder whenever he’d get tired of the pressure his father gave him, while he’d offer her himself, protection and care. Eventually, they fell in love.

 

But life was never easy.

 

When his parents learnt of this affair and they sent him to London, making sure that they’ll never get in contact again. They were indeed successful in their goal as he spent 5 years there, completing his matriculation and his bachelors.

Although hurt and upset, he wasn’t surprised to find the love of his life married off to someone, in his parent’s exact words “their own standard”. Months later, he too got engaged to someone- someone his parent’s chose for him and deemed her the “best” suit for him.

 

His wife, Moon Kyesun now Kwon Kyesun.

 

 

“When you married my mother, did you know she was the best for you?” Jiyong’s question brought him back from his reverie and pressed his lips together before taking a deep breath.

“No,” he answered truthfully, taking Jiyong aback by his answer. He’d always assumed his parents married by their own will. “But eventually, I realized she was exactly what I needed, which made her the best for me.”

“What do you mean?” Jiyong asked curiously.

“Your mother and I were put into a spot we both didn’t deserve. She was in love with someone else, while I,” he chuckled, pressing his fist to his mouth. “I loved someone too. However, being the filial daughter that she was, she agreed on our marriage. Through the years, we spent our time understanding each other since we both knew of our situation and we could empathize. We fell in love and hence, your Noona was born.”

Hearing this story for the first time, Jiyong’s jaw dropped and he couldn’t even hide his shock as he bore a hole through his father’s forehead.

“Son,” Jiyong’s father placed his hands on his son’s shoulder before giving him a soft smile. “I was never brave enough to do what I had to do. It was never in me. But seeing you become a man I could never imagine myself to be. I have nothing but to say that I’m proud of the man you’ve become.”

 

“I wish you and Chaerin the best for the future you two will have together.”

 

 

 

 

Author's note:

Omg, it's been months since I last updated it right?
Honestly speaking, I lost all my inspiration to write this story and focused on the story that I'm co-writing with a dongsaeng of mine. However, my little sisters at church kept telling me to update and continue the stiry because the love it. I got my inspiration back. HAHA. (Dunno how long it'll last though.)

This story is my baby. I won't give up on it.


Thanks for being there. MUAH

 

 

Love

E