I;

Sweeter Than Fiction

 

~Chapter one~


It all happened so fast that he remembered almost nothing up to the situation that led him to this. Groaning in pain, his vision blurred as the hurrying lights above his head made his head dizzy; the sound of people rushing and running, some were screaming to “Make way”. He tried to sit up, but a sharp pain ran through his ribs. Raising his hand in the air he tried to grab the person speed walking beside him. He hadn’t realized his secretary standing beside him, pushing the stretcher along with the doctor and the nurses.

“Mr. Kwon! Mr. Kw— ” he grabbed his boss’s hand and held it in between his two large ones.

“w-what hap-happened?” he croaked, “w-where is Mr. Moon, m-my driver, i-is he okay?”

“Sir, please. You need to calm down. The doctors are taking care of him.” This was the first time Jaehyun lied for the first time to his boss. “He’ll be fine.” swallowing hard, he released his grip on his hand and watched as the doctors pushed him into the Operation theatre.

“I’m sorry sir.”

 

*  * *

 

Jiyong’s eyes fluttered open, the sounds of machines beeping welcomed him, so did the medicinal smell of the room. He didn’t know how long he’d been out, probably a day or two. He couldn’t tell. Trying to get a hint, he tried to raise his left hand to check his watch, but the IV attached to it didn’t allow him. Groaning in irritation he banged his right hand on his bed.

“!”

His eyes darted to the right and he watched the blinds semi-open. The scenery outside barely visible, but he got a gist of the dark colour. It was night time. Pinching the bridge of his nose, he wondered what would happen while he was absent in his office. Looking around, he realized he was in his own hospital. But that wasn’t what caught his attention; his eyes locked itself on the other person present in the room. She had straight long-light brown hair, blonde at the ends, her head bobbing as she grooved to whatever music that was playing in her headphones. Her eyes were closed and she tapped her hand on her thighs, feeling the music. His new found discovery was cut early when the door flung open and his secretary, Jaehyun entered. His eyes darted to the girl, still oblivious to their presence, probably she couldn’t hear them. He cleared his throat and approached his boss as he fixed his tie and adjusted his cuffs.

“Sir” he bowed, something he never missed whenever he’d see Jiyong, although he’d asked him not to do it anymore, Jaehyun still did. He was a man of manners after all. “I see you’re awake.” He smiled as he stood beside his bed. “Welcome back.”

Jiyong didn’t bother replying as he waved his hand dismissing him. He wasn’t interested in anything other than what could the reason be that a girl was sharing a room with him. He pointed at the girl and stared at Jaehyun.

“What is this?” he spat, as always he let out his anger, his frustrations on his secretary, who nonetheless never minded it, or maybe he just didn’t show it. “Why am I sharing a room with another patient?”

“About that sir.. I— ” Jaehyun spoke, but was cut off immediately as Jiyong held his hand up.

“Get me a room.” He ran his free hand through his hair, which felt dry and dirty. Cringing at his unhygienic condition he spoke harshly but quietly. “Right now!”

“Sir, you do remember the policy you implemented few months ago? Two beds in one room?” Of course Jiyong remembered. How could he not? It’s his hospital, his policy. How was he supposed to know ‘few months ago’ he would be one of the patients? All he wanted to achieve was more accommodation space for the patients; more beds, more patients, more patients, more income. His main and only motive.

“What about t-those VIP, uh- private rooms?” he murmured, suddenly feeling like an idiot. “We have those, right? Get me one. Park.” He said, sinking deeper into the bed. He still couldn’t feel his legs and his collar bones and his ribs hurt.

“I’m sorry sir but, that won’t happen because it’s all occupied and it would not do good for the business if we transferred any of the patients so you can occupy the room. It won’t serve a good image for you.” He shook his head and looked at the tiles, apologetic. There was nothing he could do for his boss; not even Jiyong himself with all his power will be able to do that.

The silence in the room that followed after their conversation was deafening. Feeling uncomfortable, Jaehyun excused himself to fetch the doctor and left immediately, leaving Jiyong on his own self…. and his uninvited roommate.

Jiyong almost fell into deep slumber only to be woken up by the creaking sound of the door.

“Mr. Kwon.” The doctor said. He knew his face, but his name, Jiyong forgot. Pointing at himself with his pen, the doctor smiled. “Dr. Go. Go Junghwa.” He flipped his clip board and smiled again. He smiled too much for Jiyong’s liking. “Your test results are out and nothing seems abnormal. Just a few fractures, broken bones and just some bruises on certain spots. Other than that, you are absolutely fine Mr. Kwon. There is nothing wrong with you internally. You are very lucky.”

 

“How long do I need to stay?” Jiyong asked, it was the most important question. He needed to get back as soon as he could, who would take care of everything during his absence? He couldn’t bear to imagine the disappointment of his father if something went wrong. After all, he is the one responsible for ‘K corp’ industry in the whole of South Korea.

“I say, at least—  ” Dr. Go removed his spectacles and slipped it into his whites. “2 and a half weeks minimum. You will need to do physiotherapy and-”

“It’s too long.” Jiyong relied immediately, letting out a sarcastic chuckle. “3 days. Max”

“That is not possible sir.” Dr. Go stood said. “Unless you want to keep coming back here because you were too busy to stay for 2 weeks. I suggest you leave this to me and let me handle it. After all, I am the one responsible for you and without my consent you will not be let out of this hospital.” He replied firmly and Jiyong raised his eyebrows in surprise. Does this man even know who I am? As if he could understand his thoughts, Dr. Go let out a small laugh and continued. “I know you own this hospital, but sir—  I’m only doing my job. I cannot let any of my patients out without proper care. I hope you understand.”

 

 

“Jesus!” Jiyong groaned. It had already been 5 minutes or so since the doctor left after delivering his speech, it already felt like 5 years. Though he had to admit, he was happy his hospital had such devoted staffs, but he was missing out on so much. He had some contracts and deals he needed to complete; now how will he be able to attend those meetings if he sat here? Rotting, doing nothing.

“You do realize you’re not the only one here right?”

Jiyong turned his head and stared at the girl, holding a novel in her hands, her eyes scanning the texts. Startled by her bluntness, Jiyong could only manage to squeak. “w-what?”

“I said—  you’re not the only one in this room.” She folds the end of the page to bookmark it and closes the book as she pulled the straightened out the sheets neatly. “You can express yourself however you want, but please…. Just lower your volume.”

“What are you?” Jiyong spat, he hadn’t meant to say ‘what’ but it was already out and he couldn’t take it back. Besides, he was sure she’d get the point.

“I am a human; just like you—  ” She answered seriously. “Unless, you’re actually from another planet.” She bent a bit forward and scrutinized his face. “You’re as white as a sheet. Are you alright?”

Jiyong gaped at the girl. How could someone be so random? Accusing him of being an alien, then asking him if he was alright? He made sure he’d Blackmail Jaehyun until he’d finally agree to move his room. He knew he won’t be able to keep his cool if he’d stay long in this room, with this girl.

It’s going to be a long 2 and a half weeks.

He silently sighed shaking his head.

“Are you crazy or something?” Jiyong asked. He didn’t care if he’d hurt her feelings. He never cared about girls' feelings, why would he start now? And besides, after 2 weeks, he wasn’t going to see her again.

“Neither” the girl replied. Jiyong stared at her in disbelief. Seriously?

“I’m Lee Chaerin.” She beamed. “Nice to meet you.”

 

 

* * * * * * * * * *

 

Author’s note:
 

How’s it so far? Good? Not good? So-So?
Give me some feedbacks.
I’m excited about this one. Gahaha! ;O;

 

With Love~

E