Chapter 15 – What Happened

Sacrificed Love

‘knock knock’ ‘knock knock’ *no answer*

 

“Juu An!! Min Noh!! Are you in there?” Yoseob starts calling when there was no answer after he knocked on their door multiple times. “Juu An! Open the door. It’s me, Yoseob. Min Noh, open the door.” Yoseob yelled, his fist banging on the wooden door.

 

When there was still no answer, Yoseob was contemplating whether to knock down the door or not. While he was preparing himself to knock the door down with his body, the door then suddenly slightly opened and the small opening revealed a scared looking little boy behind the door. “Yoseob hyung?” Min Noh said with his shivering voice.

 

“It’s me Min Noh-yah. Yoseob hyung. Open the door for me. I’m not gonna hurt you.” Yoseob said, trying to calm Min Noh down.

 

When Min Noh opened the door wider, Yoseob went in ready to bombard Min Noh with questions but he was unable to do so because Min Noh suddenly hugged himself on Yoseob, sobbing.

 

“Hyung! I’m scared! What am I to do? What is going to happen to noona?” Min Noh said through sobs while still hugging onto Yoseob’s feet.

 

Yoseob bend towards Min Noh and patted Min Noh’s head. “Min Noh-yah, tell me what happened? Where’s your noona?” Yoseob said. He’s trying really really hard to be as calm as possible so he won’t break down.

 

“Noo….*sob noona is in the room. She’s sick.”Min Noh said trying to stop himself from crying. “I don’t want her to die!!!!!” and he lunged into Yoseob’s body once again.

 

Yoseob was trying to hold himself down before running into Juu An’s room. “Lets go see your noona okay? She’s going to be alright.” Yoseob assured Min Noh and gave a firm pat on his back.

 

When he open the door to Juu An’s room, Yoseob’s heart sank. Juu An was laying on the bed with her eyes closed and blanket covered to her chest. If it weren’t for the sweat on her face, you’d think she’s fallen asleep. Her body was laid flat and it seemed like there was no life in her. The room was a mess. Juu An’s clothes were all over the floor and her study table was messed up too. Music sheets from Juu An’s musicals were also scattered all over the floor. Yoseob dare not walk further in to the room. He was praying. Praying really hard so that Juu An would be fine. Praying hard that she won’t die. Praying hard that she will wake up and have jajjangmyeon together with Min Noh. If there really is a god, please listen to my prayers. Please let Juu An be alright. Please… please…. Please!

 

Yoseob took up the courage, and walked over to Juu An on the side of her bed. When he kneeled down, he realized she isn’t as peaceful as she looked. She was actually frowning and looks like she’s mumbling something incoherent. His hand was shaking when he wanted to tuck Juu An’s hair away from her face. Her hair was wet from all the sweat and it hurt Yoseob so much to see her like this. How can he help? What can he do so Juu An won’t be hurt anymore?

 

Yoseob turned around to Min Noh and said, “Min Noh-ya, tell me exactly what happened?”

 

Min Noh walked over to Juu An’s bedside and sat beside Yoseob. “Father came home on Monday. He came in when we were having dinner. Noona looked sad that day. I don’t know why but she wouldn’t talk the whole day. And she didn’t go to work too. When father came home, he asked for money again, but noona didn’t answer him. He asked for money again but noona still didn’t answer him.” Min Noh said pausing and taking breaths.

 

“When noona didn’t give him money, father pulled noona up from the table and dragged her to her room. And then he searched everywhere. He looked through noona’s closet and took all her clothes out. Then he went over to her table and went through all the drawers but he didn’t find anything. When he got hold of a scissors on the table, he pointed it to noona. He said if she didn’t take out the money, he’ll kill her.” He said. Yoseob was listening while looking at Juu An. But when he heard about the scissors in Juu An’s stepfather’s hands, he turned to look at Min Noh with shocked eyes.

 

“I rushed in front of noona when I saw father trying to attack her.” Min Noh said.

 

Yoseob grabbed hold of Min Noh’s hand on both sides and said, “You did what? Are you crazy?”

 

“I’m fine.” Min Noh said looking down. “That’s why noona is sick now. Because she pushed me behind and stood in front of me when father attacked. And he cut noona on her arm.” Min Noh said as she pulled the blankets off Juu An.

 

Juu An’s arm was wrapped with bandage. And blood can be seen from her wounds. “When father cut noona, he got scared and then he left. But he said that he’ll be back. For more money.” Min Noh said. “Noona was fine. She wrapped her wounds up and then she went to sleep. But she haven’t been awake since. She had really high fever, and I didn’t know what to do so I just laid her on her bed. She wakes up once in a while though. But then she falls asleep again.”

 

Yoseob looked at Min Noh and then back to Juu An. “Why didn’t you call Yoseob-hyung? You know I could’ve helped you.”

 

“I don’t know. I didn’t think. I couldn’t think. I didn’t know what to do but sit here with noona.” Min Noh said looking at Juu An. “I’m scared Yoseob-hyung! I don’t want noona to leave me. I just want her to be well again.” Min Noh started sobbing again.

 

“You don’t have to worry about anything now. I’m here okay? Yoseob-hyung’s here. I’ll take care of your noona, get her medicine, buy you food, and things will be alright again okay?” Yoseob said. He hugged Min Noh and pat him on his back. Min Noh’s sobs slowly slows down and soon stopped.

 

I’ve got to make sure everything is alright again. I need Juu An to be alright again. I need her. I’m going to make it better. Yoseob thought.