Chapter 22

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73zD5JW6XNI

Exo-K: The First Snow

====================================

“Three Iced Coffee, two Mocha Latte with soy, and one Iced White Chocolate Mocha!” Yeonhee called out.

Minjoo got to work at once.

“Two Vanilla Latte!” Yeonhee said.

Minjoo nodded and frantically rushed towards the refrigerator.

“Make one of those latte a soy!” Yeonhee shouted.

Minjoo nodded again. She took out the soy milk and accidentally spilled it all over the counter. Oh, no! How can I be so clumsy?! Minjoo thought dismally.

“What is taking so long?! Hurry up!” Yeonhee snapped.

Minjoo fumbled for the rag and began to clean up the mess. Hands came out of nowhere and snatched the prepared cups from her sight. She looked up in wonder, and surprise flickered in her face when she saw Kai. Is it his shift already? Minjoo looked at the clock. She had been so busy that she had forgotten all about the time.

“Don’t worry about the drinks and finish cleaning that up.” Kai smiled.

Minjoo nodded gratefully and cleared the mess. After cleaning up, she helped Kai make the rest of the drinks.

When the number of customers dwindled and there were no more orders, Yeonhee scolded her. “How can you be so clumsy? Can’t you do one thing right? You caused trouble for us today.”

“Don’t be so hard on her,” Kai defended. His tone was light, but his eyes were annoyed. “The customers got their drinks, and they didn’t even complain. Everything turned out well.”

Yeonhee frowned in disapproval but said nothing else.

Kai looked at the clock. “Isn’t it time for your break, Minjoo?”

Minjoo looked up, and sure enough, it was.

“Go and take a break to regain your energy,” Kai encouraged.

Minjoo bit her lower lip and glanced at Yeonhee. She didn’t feel like she deserved a break after the mess she had created.

“Come on.” Kai turned her around and gently pushed her towards the back room. He sat her down on the table, and she sighed heavily. Kai sat beside her and squeezed her shoulder. “Hey.” She looked up. “Don’t mind what she said. You did nothing wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. It was no big deal, really,” he assured.

Minjoo meekly smiled. She was most grateful for his kindness at that moment.

“Do you want me to get you anything? Like a cold drink or a sweet pastry?” Kai asked.

Minjoo fervently shook her head.

“Okay then. Let’s just go get something yummy to eat after work,” he said.

Her eyes widened.

“Dinner and library after. Call?” Kai looked hopefully at her.

Minjoo paused to think. She saw no harm in it and nodded. Kai grinned. “See you later.”

He went back out, leaving her smiling with anticipation.

---------------------------------------------------

Fall changed to winter. The first semester of college came to an end. Minjoo and Kai finished their final exams, but they still worked at the café. There were more people than usual during the holidays, which meant longer shifts, but that was good because for Minjoo, it meant more money to help Shinhye and even better for Kai because he was able to see her more.

It was the night of December 23rd.

Kai’s friends had all gone to a Christmas party, but he had refused because he wanted to work with Minjoo. Tonight, Yeonhee, Haneul, and another part-time worker were here, too. Kai said goodbye to the customer and looked at Minjoo. She was rubbing her frigid hands that had been in the water for too long. He wished he could go right over and warm them up for her.

“Can I order two hot chocolate?” A customer asked.

Kai flashed a smile and nodded. “Of course you can. Would you like whipped cream on them?”

The night grew late, and the number of customers diminished rather quickly. Yeonhee and the other part-time worker were gone already.

“That was a busy night, right, guys?” Haneul smiled. Her phone rang, and she answered it. “Hello? What?! Oh, no. Okay, I’ll be right there.” She hung up and began to yank off her apron. “Can you guys close the shop for me? My friend got into an accident, and I need to go to the hospital.”

Minjoo nodded eagerly. “Go ahead, noona,” Kai agreed.

“Thank you so much. I’m going to lock up the front, so go through the back!” Haneul left.

Now, only Kai and Minjoo remained at the café. Strangely, it felt awkward tonight. They had been studying together for the past month, but it suddenly felt strange tonight. Kai and Haneul locked eyes and quickly looked away. He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. Damn it. Why do I suddenly feel so shy? She slowly blew air out of her cheeks and looked up at the ceiling. This is so weird. It’s not like him to be so timid.

“Are you done with that?” Kai asked. Minjoo looked down at the trash she had piled and nodded. Kai tied the bag up and left it next to the other garbage cans. He looked around to find everything spick and span. “We’re good. Don’t you think?” Minjoo nodded. “Go ahead and change first. I’ll wait here,” Kai said.

Minjoo went into the room and opened her locker. She had just taken her apron off when the lights suddenly went off. She gasped in total darkness. She couldn’t see one thing. Frightened, Minjoo scrambled towards the door. It flung open, and she ran right into Kai. “Minjoo, are you all right?!” Kai asked. He felt her trembling in his arms and suddenly felt protective. He put his arms around her and soothingly patted her back. “You’re fine. You’re safe.”

Minjoo exhaled shakily. Her body began to quiver less. They both looked around the blackness.

“I think there’s a black-out,” Kai guessed. Minjoo sighed. This just had to happen when she was here with Kai.

“It’s okay. We’re leaving anyways. Let’s just get out of here.” Kai took her hand and guided her towards the back door. He tried to open it, but nothing worked. “What the heck?” Kai tried with both hands. The door was locked from the outside, preventing them from leaving.

Minjoo poked his shoulder, and he could make out her frantic eyes in the darkness. “It’s locked. We’re stuck here,” Kai said.

Minjoo stared at him in disbelief.

“Let me try calling Haneul noona.” Kai called, but she didn’t answer. He even called their boss, but he wasn’t picking up either. “,” Kai cursed.

Minjoo frantically wrung her hands. She was starting to feel uneasy. She hated being in complete darkness. She never knew what was out there, and it reminded her too much of Jong.

“Let’s go the front. There’s better light there.” Kai took her hand and led her to the front. They stood behind the counter and searched for any spare keys in the cupboards. There was nothing. Minjoo sank down in despair. Kai sighed and sat beside her. “I texted Haneul noona. Hopefully, she’ll come back.”

The silence was too loud. It overpowered Minjoo, and she couldn’t help but become alarmed. She kept getting flashbacks of that night when Jong was waiting in her room.

Minjoo opened the door to her room and closed the door behind her. She turned around and touched the wall to feel the light switch. Then all of a sudden, she felt a hot breath against her ear, and a hand was gripping tightly onto her arm to prevent her from turning on the light. Minjoo jerked her head around with wide, alarmed eyes. “There you are, my little lamb. I’ve been waiting for you for the entire day. Now…” She gasped when Jong suddenly wrapped his arms around her from behind and inhaled deeply into her hair. “I finally got you.”

Minjoo clutched onto her head and squeezed her eyes shut. Stay away from me. Please don’t hurt me. Please get away. Jongsuk…Lee Jongsuk…I need you!

“Minjoo!” Kai grasped her arms, and she jerked up with a frightened gasp. “Relax. It’s just me,” he assured. She gulped for air, and when her gaze settled on him, her b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter