Chapter 3

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y7rqHYNP0Y

Echo: Every Single Day

=============================================

That same night, Minjoo returned home and studied for two hours before being forced to do the dishes. She ran the glass mug under the water and put it in the stack. I’m finally done, she thought in relief.

Minjoo took the rubber gloves off only to have water and soap splash her face. She blinked rapidly and glanced down.

The tub was filled with dishes for the fifth time that night.

Nana smacked her gum with a raised eyebrow. “Make sure you scrub them perfectly clean.” She snatched the tray off the counter and walked off. Her five-inch heels clicked and clacked on the floor as she marched back to the bar.

Minjoo looked at the endless pile of dishes and sighed. When would she be free from such tedious labor?

Minjoo put the gloves back on and scrubbed away. After drying all the dishes, she hurriedly took off her gloves and snuck towards the staircase.

“Hey!” Her aunt snapped.

Minjoo winced. Caught, she thought in dread. Minjoo slowly swiveled around.

Her aunt pointed. “We’re especially busy tonight so take orders.”

Minjoo paled. She hated taking orders and would have rather have worked in the back. If she worked in the front, she would run into drunken men who tried to squeeze her or shove tip down her shirt. Minjoo hastily took the notebook and pen out of her apron and began to scribble.

“Auntie, I have a lot of homework-“

“Welcome to Madam’s!” Her aunt plastered on a flirty smile and looped her arm around the first man that came in. “Go take orders!” She hissed at Minjoo as she passed by. Minjoo looked at her notebook, sighed in surrender, and dropped it back into her apron. She grabbed a menu and went to a table. For the next hour, she played waitress and did her best to serve the customers. Minjoo waited for Shinhye to fill the mugs of beer for her. Minjoo lightly hit her thighs with her fist and looked around. Was it possible for more customers to come into this tiny bar?

“Take this,” Shinhye said in her usual quiet voice.

Minjoo took the tray and treaded carefully towards the table next to the television. She set the coasters down and placed the mugs on them. “I can’t see the television! Get out of the way!” A man had the gall to grasp her and push her aside. Her eyes widened in horror, and fell open. Behind her, the men guffawed as if they had seen something funny.

“Since she’s young, her is pretty firm!” The vile man snickered. His friends laughed uproariously and slapped his shoulder encouragingly.

Minjoo wished to disappear right then. When can I leave? She wondered.

“What are you doing here? Can’t you see table 7 has a new customer?” Her aunt snapped.

Minjoo snapped out of her daze and rushed to grab another menu. She approached table 7 and placed the menu down. She lifted her gaze to the customer’s face and froze. A red flag rose in her head, and her eyebrows automatically pinched together as she tried to figure out where she had seen this man. He was dressed in all black with a small scar on the bridge of his nose. He seemed like the average working man, but then again, there was something awfully familiar about him.

At that moment, the man looked up, and her insides curled with nausea.

His eyes…his eyes… Minjoo swallowed hard. Now she remembered where she had seen this man before. Just a couple weeks ago, she had met him outside when she was tossing the trash away. He was lurking underneath the tree outside and watching her every moment. She could never forget his chilling eyes. Just like that night, they gleamed when they saw her.

Minjoo swallowed hard, and her hands trembled slightly. She had no idea how this man she did not know could have such an impact on her, but later, she would understand. The man’s lips stretched into a smile she did not trust. “Hello,” He greeted in a thick, low voice that made her feel even queasier than before. She gave a careful nod.

“Do you work here?” The man questioned. Minjoo, of course, did not reply. She didn’t even consider writing her answer in her notebook.

“Did you get the customer’s order?!” Nana barked. Minjoo looked back and shook her head.

“Hurry up!” Nana rolled her eyes. “I did not mean to make it difficult for you. Please get me a beer,” The man ordered.

Minjoo nodded and rushed off as quickly as she could. She held up a finger.

Nana slammed the mug of beer on the tray. Minjoo took a deep breath and carried the tray back to the table. She set it on the table while avoiding the man’s gaze. Then she bowed and quickly walked away. She could still feel the heat of his intense gaze on her back though. Minjoo squirmed uncomfortably. Why does he keep staring at me like that? I don’t like it. It’s not that he’s unfriendly…but there’s something suspicious about him. I can’t help but feel a bad aura from him.

Someone tapped her shoulder, and she spun around with widened eyes.

Shinhye gave her a bland look and pointed to the staircase. “Your aunt said you can go.”

Yes! Minjoo took off her apron and hastened upstairs. Behind her closed door, she finally felt secure. She turned the light on and opened her literature book. Minjoo took out a sheet of paper and clicked the end of her led pencil. She was in the middle of reading the fourth paragraph when her thoughts drifted towards the new student. Minjoo paused reading and looked up. What was his name again? She recalled his introduction. Oh, that’s right. It’s Lee Jongsuk. I wonder why he doesn’t want any friends. I would want friends. Too bad no one wants to be my friend. Minjoo touched . His face painted in her mind repeatedly, and no matter how much she tried to erase him, he remained etched in her head. She tried thinking about something else and ended up thinking about the creepy man downstairs.

At the thought of the sinister man, she automatically shuddered. He’s a new face, too. I’ve never seen him before. A lot of people are

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter