Chapter 25

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePr6bc33OKE

Lyn: My Destiny

================================================

Minjoo returned to school the next day with the assurance that she would be under the detectives’ surveillance. She finished her first class and quickly packed up to go to her second one. She rushed out the door and stopped when she saw Kai waiting against the wall. Her eyes rounded in surprise. She wondered what he was doing here when his department was on the other side of campus.

Kai saw her and pushed himself off the wall. He approached her and looked into her eyes. “You’re going to nutrition, right?” She nodded.

“Come. I’ll walk you to class,” Kai offered. Minjoo was stunned but didn’t reject his offer. They came to the health science building and stopped in front of her classroom.

‘Thank you.’

“It’s not a problem. You need to have someone keep an eye on you at all times. From now on, I’m going to you to all your classes. I’m going to eat lunch with you and take you to work. When you’re done, I’m going to take you home,” Kai declared.

Minjoo softened. She typed something on her phone and showed it to him.

‘I appreciate your offer, but I don’t want you to babysit me. I hate being a burden to others.’

“Trust me, Minjoo. My actions are chivalrous, but my motivations are pure selfishness.” Kai ducked down and whispered, “I needed an excuse to be with you all the time.”

Minjoo blinked, stunned, and then chuckled. Kai grinned. “Wait here until I come back.” He waved and sprinted towards his next class.

Minjoo smiled. Feeling sturdy, she went into class and focused on the lecture.

Once class was over, she waited for Kai by the door. He appeared in less than five minutes and smiled at her. “I’m here! Now let’s go get lunch!” Kai took her hand and guided her towards the food court. This time, they ate soba and sushi.

“Hey! Where was my invite?!” Chanyeol pulled up a chair and sat beside Minjoo.

Sehun swept in and stole a sushi off their plate.

“Hey!” Kai barked. Sehun stuck out a tongue and chortled as he shoved another piece of sushi into their mouth.

“You pigs are too much.” Baekhyun sighed. “I’ll apologize on their behalf.”

Minjoo chuckled and shook her head. She beckoned him to come join them.

Kai kept slapping Sehun’s greedy hand away.

“You’re so rude!” Sehun complained. Minjoo tugged on Kai’s arm to allow Sehun to eat.

“A guy like you should be considered blessed to have a girlfriend like her,” Sehun stated.

Minjoo turned red. I’m not…We’re not…Are we…?

Chanyeol took Kai’s soba and began to eat it. “YOU GUYS!” Kai yelled.

Minjoo forgot about being called his girlfriend and started laughing.

With these guys around her, she felt more than safe. As long as she was with them, Jong would not dare touch her.

When Minjoo was done with her classes for the day, she went to work with Kai together. Haneul called her into the office to talk to her in private. “Are you all right? Two detectives came by and talked to me about your situation. Have you really been stalked by a psycho killer?” Minjoo nodded. Haneul softened. “I never knew that. It must have been terrible.” She rubbed Minjoo’s arm and gave it a reassuring squeeze. “You should have told me beforehand.”

‘I thought it was all over, but he came back.’

“Well, I’m going to put your and Kai’s schedule together. That way, you have a bodyguard with you all the time. Don’t worry. The detectives looked very trustworthy. I’m sure they’ll catch that freak soon,” Haneul assured.

‘I’m so sorry, unnie. I don’t want to trouble you.’

“Don’t even say that. If you need anything, just let me know.” Haneul squeezed her arm and left first.

Minjoo let out a breath, feeling more relieved to let another friend now. She fixed the bow on the back of her apron and headed back out. “Is everything all right?” Kai asked. Minjoo nodded. “Minjoo, take this to the dumpster.” Yeonhee held out a garbage bag.

“I’ll do it.” Kai took the bag. “I’ll take out all the trash from now on, so don’t tell Minjoo to do it.” He left.

Yeonhee huffed in disbelief.

Minjoo gave her a meek smile and went to clean the blenders. She looked up at the tables and halted abruptly. There was a familiar figure sitting near the corner. A cap was low over his face, so it was difficult to confirm the identity, but she thought it was Jong. A shiver ran down her spine. Knowing that he might be so close made her plunge into ice cold fear again. Her fingers trembled, and she grew dizzy.

“Minjoo!” Kai grasped her wrists from behind. She looked back to see his concerned face. “Are you all right? Why are you shaking so much?” He asked worriedly.

Minjoo spun her gaze back to the table, but it was empty. She shook her head and rubbed her eyes. Had she been hallucinating?

“What’s wrong? Is someone there?” His eyes shot wide open in alarm. “Is he here?!” Kai looked around in rage.

Minjoo touched his arm and shook her head.

“Oh. Okay. I’ll clean the blenders. Go and make the drinks.” Kai took the sponge from her.

The busy day came to an end, and as Kai had vowed, he took Minjoo home. They stopped in front of her apartment door and faced each other.

‘Thank you so much for today. I didn’t feel scared because you were here for me. I owe you a lot.’

Minjoo smiled appreciatively. Kai smiled back. “Don’t be scared. Just know that I’m one call away. I’ll be back in the morning to pick you up for school.” Minjoo beamed and nodded.

Kai turned to go but paused. “Hey, Minjoo.” She looked at him.

“Are you, um, free this Saturday?” He asked. She tilted her head in curiosity.

“I, um, have two movie tickets, and if you’re willing…we can go together…” Kai seemed nervous as he asked her out on the date. Minjoo smiled softly and nodded.

‘I haven’t been to the movies in a while. I’d love to go.’

Kai grinned. “Okay! Then we’ll go together.” Minjoo laughed at his reaction.

That Saturday, Minjoo dressed her best. She curled her hair and even applied a little bit of make-up on. She gazed at her reflection in the mirror and blew out a small, nervous breath. It had been a while since she had gone on a date. Her gaze flitted to her albums in the corner of the room. Minjoo walked over and opened one up. Most of the photos were of her and Jongsuk. She paused on a photo of her and Jongsuk standing underneath a colorful tree. Their arms were around each other, and they were smiling like a blissful honeymoon couple. Don’t worry, Jongsuk. Even if I go on this date…that doesn’t mean I forgot you. I’ll never forget you. How can I forget the guy who came and changed my life for the better? I love you, Lee Jongsuk. She planted a soft kiss on his picture and smiled longingly. Her phone buzzed with a new message, and she quickly went to check it.

‘I’m here!’

Minjoo smiled. She grabbed her bag and left the apartment.

Kai lifted his head up as soon as the door swung open. He looked back and did a double take. Minjoo looked different…in a good way. In a blue sleeveless chiffon denim dress, she looked like an angel that had dropped from the sky. It pleased him to know she had made an effort to look good for him. Minjoo waved with a shy smile. Kai smiled warmly. “Hi. You look…beautiful. You really do. You beat all the Disney princesses in my book.”

Minjoo laughed and touched her flushing chee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter