Chapter 18

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2daFSyqFNA

Jonghyun & Taeyeon: Breath

====================================

The next time Kai returned to his anthropology class, he was earlier than usual.

The room was only a quarter full, and students were either reviewing their notes or whispering quietly amongst each other.

Kai looked around, wondering where he should sit this time. There was no sign of Gaeul yet, and he wasn’t even sure he wanted to sit with her anyways. Kai roamed down the hallway and came to a halt when he saw a recognizable figure.

It was her, the angel he had continuously ran into. And this time, she wasn’t vanishing into thin air.

I can’t believe it. We’re in the same class. This is definitely fate. In a denim jacket with a gray shirt and a mini pencil skirt, she looked classy yet delicate, and the way she played with the necklace around her neck made her look vulnerable and childlike.

Kai admired her from afar and wondered how on earth anyone could look so pure. She must be an angel. He heard the door open behind him and looked back. More students were starting to stream in and fill up the lecture hall.

Kai panicked. He had to take charge of that empty seat next to the angel before anyone else could.

Kai strode towards her, determined not to lose her again. “Is this seat taken?” He asked as he touched the seat next to her.

Minjoo stopped writing notes and slowly lifted her gaze upwards to lock eyes with a strange but handsome boy. Familiarity tingled down her spine, and she tried to remember where she had seen him before. When his lips stretched into an amused smile, her heart fluttered, and her eyes grew wide instantly.

“Are you thinking whether I’m good enough to sit by you or not?” Kai teased.

Minjoo blushed, and Kai was delighted at her apparent red cheeks. She’s really cute.

Minjoo pushed her bag closer to her and shook her head.

“Does this mean I have your approval?” Kai asked. Minjoo flushed an even brighter shade of red as she looked away. Kai pulled the seat out and sat beside her. Minjoo focused her gaze on the notebook and pretended he wasn’t there.

Kai wasn’t up for that though. He disliked being ignored, and most of all, he didn’t like being next to the girl he liked and not doing anything about it. Kai tapped his pencil against the table and shamelessly stared at her. Minjoo could feel his burning gaze on her and bit her lip with uneasiness. Kai noticed that, and the corner of his lips hitched upwards in entertainment. It was fun watching her reactions. Not to mention, he found her extremely adorable.

Kai rested his elbow on the table and planted his cheek on his fist.

Minjoo exhaled slowly. Should she look? What if they met eyes? What would she do? Minjoo couldn’t take it anymore. Her skin prickled, and she itched to take one glance at him. Minjoo carefully turned her head in the direction of Kai and lifted her gaze upward. Her eyes locked with him, and she sat there frozen in shock. He was looking right through her, and he seemed to be peering right into her soul. She swallowed hard as a ripple of current strongly rushed through her.

Kai held his gaze steady, but his heart was beating rather madly. He had never felt such a strong connection to anyone before. His lips slowly curved upwards into a warm smile.

Minjoo snapped out of her daze and jerked her eyes away from him. Where have I seen him before? I know him from somewhere, but I don’t remember.

“We’ve seen each other before, right?” Kai asked.

Minjoo stared at him in surprise. Had he read her mind? Was she meeting someone who had the ability to read minds like Jongsuk? Her heart thumped in anticipation. Can you perhaps…read my mind?

Kai continued, “Don’t you remember bumping into me?” So he can’t hear me like Jongsuk had.

Minjoo was disappointed, but she began to wonder what he was talking about.

“Think carefully back to orientation day,” Kai hinted.

Orientation day? Then Minjoo remembered. She had bumped into him. She had just seen him for a fleeting second, but she could recall his face easily. Now, she also knew where she had seen him for the second time. He was in this very room with a girl, not just any girl, but a girl who could presumably be his girlfriend.

“Do you remember now?” Kai asked. Minjoo nodded.

Kai brightened. It was a miracle that she remembered him, too. Maybe they really were fated to be. “What’s your name?” Kai asked. He longed to know the name of his angel. He bet it was a very beautiful name, one that would send his heart racing every time he heard it.

Minjoo turned away with a vexed expression and clamped her teeth over . Kai found her reaction very odd and wondered why she suddenly looked so pale. All he had done was ask for her name, but she had freaked out like he had said something offensive to her. Kai opened his mouth to say something, but the professor came in.

Class began, and he was not able to talk to her anymore.

Kai kept tapping his pencil against the desk and checked the time every few seconds. He was eager for class to end. He wanted to continue the “conversation” with Minjoo. Kai glanced at Minjoo, but she was diligently taking notes. She seemed to be doing everything in order to ignore him.

When class was over, Minjoo grabbed her belongings without bothering to jam them into her bag and ran out of the class like she was the wind itself.

Kai looked up and saw her racing out of the room in a blur. His angel was gone, just like that, once again. His shoulders sagged as he sighed heavily. He usually enjoyed a light game of hard-to-get with girls, but this was getting to be very discouraging. “Kai!” An arm s around his. He looked down to see Gauel glowing up at him. “Where were you?! I was hoping we could sit next to each other again. Sit by me next time, okay?!”

Kai looked towards the door. I want to sit with her the next time. And all the other days, too.

“Come on, Kai. Let’s get something to drink.” Gaeul tugged on his arm. Kai sighed and allowed her to drag him away.

Minjoo darted into the girls’ restroom and stood in front of the sink with a shaken look. That had been close. She didn’t really think anybody would confront her in college, but someone did, and that particular person happened to be an attractive guy. When he had asked for her name, she had frozen up.

Shame about her disability had flooded through her, and thinking about it now, she was ashamed that she had been ashamed in the first place.

Minjoo pushed her belongings in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter