Chapter 23

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMzKWlaFDH0

Lyn and Leo: Blossom Tears

======================================

The year came to an end, and there were only a couple weeks before school would resume for the spring.

One particular afternoon, Kai was rolling around in bed driving himself crazy with thoughts of Minjoo. He wanted to call her and ask her out to watch a movie or grab a coffee. He would do anything to just see her for one second.

But he was worried. What if he was bothering her?

He didn’t want to be a nuisance, which would mean less Minjoo in his life, and that was the last thing he wanted.

Kai rolled onto his back and held his phone up in the air. “Come on. Text me. Call me. Make a move first,” he pleaded. Five agonizing minutes passed, and he sighed in surrender. Kai knew Minjoo would never approach him first. He rolled onto his stomach and pouted in his pillow.

Just then, his phone rang. His eyes brightened as the word “Hallelujah” rang in his head. Kai scrambled up and grinned at his phone. His face fell though when he saw Gaeul’s name. He tossed the phone aside and buried his face in his pillow. Ever since Minjoo came into his life, he wasn’t interested remotely in any other girl. Even flirting harmlessly with other girls became a burden, and he grew irritated easily by the presence of other females who tried so up to him.

His phone continued to ring.

Kai gritted his teeth as his meter of annoyance quickly rose up.

Couldn’t the girl just give up? Why was she so stubborn?

Kai sat up with a bothersome sigh. He finally took his phone and answered, “Hello?” He was making a tremendous effort to keep calm.

“Hi, Kai! I miss you!” Gaeul whined. Kai sighed and rubbed his face. “Gaeul, we saw each other last weekend at Suho’s birthday party. And if you need someone to talk to, get a boyfriend.”

“You’re so mean, Kai,” Gaeul said, unfazed by his standoffish behavior. “What are you doing right now?”

Kai looked around. “Not much,” he mumbled.

“Perfect! Come out! I got a group to meet at Top Coffee!” She exclaimed.

Kai wished he had lied to her. He couldn’t back out now though. “Fine. I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

“See you!” Gaeul squealed and hung up.

Kai stood up and ran his fingers through his straight hair. He looked in the mirror and realized what a mess he was. He hadn’t done a single thing after he had woken up that afternoon besides brush his teeth. Cone on, Kai. Don’t be pathetic. Go and socialize. It beats waiting here for a call that will never come. He sighed and trudged towards the bathroom to take a shower.

------------------------------------

Kai went to Top Coffee located in Garusogil. He saw Gaeul, Yeonhee, Sehun, and a few other students sitting at a round table. Gaeul spotted him and waved energetically. “Kai, over here!” She forced the guy sitting beside her to move and patted the now vacant seat with a happy beam. “Sit here.”

Kai sat down and looked at Sehun. “You got called, too?”

Sehun shrugged. “I got nothing else better to do.”

Poor fool. He even admitted it himself, Kai thought. “Where are the other guys?”

“They couldn’t make it. The genius medical students went to study, and Chanyeol had a date,” Sehun explained.

“Kai,” Gaeul wrapped her arms around his arm. He looked at her, and she batted her lashes at him. “I’m so glad you came.”

A few people around them hooted and whistled. Kai tried to pull his arm away, but she was like a fierce leech.

“Are you two dating?” One guy asked. “No,” Kai denied right away.

“But I wouldn’t mind if we did.” Gaeul winked.

“You two do make a good couple,” Yeonhee offered, and Gaeul rewarded her with a warm smile.

“Aren’t you going to get something to drink?” Sehun asked.

Thankful for the excuse, Kai left the table. He ordered a cup of hot coffee and took it back to the table. He was going to try to drink the scorching drink as quickly as he could so that he could leave. He tried to appear interested as one of the girls told a story about her trip to Hawaii.

Suddenly, his phone rang in the pocket of his jeans.

Kai took it out and almost jumped up for joy. Minjoo had texted him! Kai opened the message right away. Gaeul leaned over to check what had stolen his attention. Minjoo? Who is that? She was miffed that he seemed so excited over this girl.

‘Are you busy right now?’

‘Of course not. What’s up?’

‘If you have time, can you meet me?’

‘Yes! Where are you? I’ll be right there!’

Kai shoved his phone into the pocket of his jeans and stood up. Sehun looked up at him. “You leaving?”

Kai grinned and patted his shoulder. “I got a date.”

A date?! Gaeul straightened up.

“I’m going. Later, guys.” Kai ran off before anyone could stop him.

“What’s wrong, Gaeul?” Yeonhee asked.

“He’s going…to meet a girl named Minjoo, I think,” she said.

“No way! You don’t mean Park Minjoo?!” Yeonhee demanded.

Gaeul stared at her. “You know her?”

“You met her, too, remember? She’s the mute co-worker I was talking about!” Yeonhee reminded. Gaeul thought back to the party, and now, she recognized the name. “I know her now.” “Come to think of it now, Kai takes care of her pretty well,” Yeonhee commented. Gaeul swallowed hard. “What do you mean?” “You know how he works at the café with me. He’s always defending her and doing her work for her. Then during breaks, he checks up on her and even walks her home when they end late. I knew something fishy was going on.” Yeonhee frowned.

“Kai likes her,” Sehun suddenly interjected. The girls swung their heads to look at him.

Sehun was busy chatting on his phone, but he continued, “He introduced her to us. She may be mute, but she’s a nice girl.”

Gaeul was at loss. She didn’t understand how Kai could like someone with a disability when a nice, normal girl like her was around.

----------------------------------------

Kai ran out of the cab and darted into Café Droptop in Nowon. He spotted Minjoo sitting by the window. She was wearing a simple loose red sweater with light skinny jeans, but she looked gorgeous than any of the girls he had been hanging around today. Grinning from ear to ear, he approached her.

“Boo,” Kai said in her ear before sitting before her.

Minjoo blinked in surprise and then smiled. Kai smiled back as his heart gave a flutter. She always made him so happy. Now that he caught a glimpse of her, he would have no regret about today. “Did you eat yet? Should we go get something to eat?” Kai asked.

Minjoo shook her head and held out her phone with her reply.

‘I’m not hungry yet. I just wanted to give you something.’

“Me?” He blinked. She took a box sitting on her side of the booth and held it out.

“Is this for me?” Kai asked. Minjoo nodded. Eagerly, Kai opened the box to see rows of colorful, sweet macaroons. He stared at her. “Wow. This is a lot of macaroons. Where did you buy them?”

Minjoo typed something on her phone and showed him.

‘I made them.’

“You?!” Kai yelped. Minjoo nodded.

“Wow…” Kai said, stunned. Then he grinned. “You made them for me?”

Minjoo reddened.

‘I made a lot of extra macaroons, so I thought I would share them with you.’

“With ONLY me, right?” Kai smirked.

Minjoo turned away while blushing.

Kai laughed. “Oh, Minjoo. You’re really cute. Thank you though. I’ll eat these well although I actually wish to keep them forever.” Minjoo smiled, pleased he liked her gift. She had wanted to somehow repay him for always taking her out. Minjoo picked up her red cross-body bag and stood up.

Kai stared at her. “You’re leaving? Already?” She nodded. Then with a wave, she headed towards the door.

No! I can’t let her go like this! Kai grabbed the box and dashed after her. He caught her arm and blocked her path. “You gave me these, so let me treat you to dinner.” Minjoo shook her head fervently, but Kai refused to be declined. “Come on. I know a great pizza restaurant nearby. You’ll love it. I promise.” Minjoo paused thoughtfully. She wasn’t sure if she should take his offer or not. Before she could decide, Kai started dragging her towards the opposite direction. “It’s this way.” Minjoo surrendered and al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter