Chapter 16

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhNHaWdLyJ0

Jonghyun & Taeyeon: Breathe

====================================

The door flung open to the young man’s bedroom.

“Kim Jongin! You are going to be late to your orientation if you keep sleeping like this!” His mother barked.

“Five more minutes…just five more minutes…” he mumbled sleepily into his pillow.

She rolled her eyes. “That’s that you said ten minutes ago! Now get up, or you’ll have to take the bus!”

At last, Jongin, preferably known as Kai, opened his eyes and sat up with a deep breath. He rubbed his sleep-filled eyes and just sat there in drowsy silence until his mother slapped him across the back. Jongin became sober at once with a yelp. “MOM!”

She threw him a firm glower. “Hurry up, or I’ll make Dongin leave without you!”

“I’m going! I’m going!” Kai hurried out of his bedroom and almost collided into his older brother.

“Now you’re awake?” Dongin raised an eyebrow and sipped his coffee.

Kai jabbed his thumb towards his bedroom. “Yeah, thanks to her. You should arrest her for harassment against an innocent man.”

“Kim Jongin! Are you not washing up yet?!” Mrs. Kim barked.

“All right! I’m going!” Kai hurried away, leaving Dongin to be laughing and stopping their mother from going after him.

Kai brushed his teeth and hopped in the shower.

Today was his orientation at Yonsei University. In just a couple weeks, he would be a freshman in college. Unlike his father who was a businessman or his brother who was a cop, he was planning to major in computer science, although that was not set in stone yet. Secretly, he wanted to have a career in music, but his parents would freak out once they knew his secret ambition. Kai would just go along with this façade until he could play his cards right and switch his major to composition in music.

Kai finished washing and dressed fashionably in a simple plaid shirt with jeans to match. He came downstairs and saw his mother washing dishes. Hot breakfast had been set on the table, and he smiled appreciatively. Although he rebelled at times, he cherished his mother, and he knew she loved him also, despite how difficult it was to wake him up in the morning.

Kai came behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. “Mom, thank you for waking me up and making me breakfast.”

Mrs. Kim huffed. “You should be glad you’re not going to live in the dorms, or else, you would never wake up for class.”

Kai laughed. “I know, mom.” He gave her an affectionate squeeze before sitting down at the table and eating. Once he was done, he went outside and hopped into Dongin’s car.

Dongin put his tablet away. “Are you finally ready? You almost made me late for work, kid.”

“Yeah, yeah. Just be thankful I got up. Now drive, hyung.” Kai the radio to his favorite station and looked out the window.

“You excited to be in college?” Dongin asked.

“Not really,” Kai replied honestly.

“Why not? College is the start of everything, Jongin. It’s where you can start your dreams and gain your independence. And as a bonus,” Dongin flashed a sly smile. “There are a lot of cute girls who can become your potential girlfriends. I’m sure you’ll never have a problem with girls though. You’re too much like me in that area.”

Kai laughed and lightly slugged his brother on the arm. “Nah, hyung. I’m just a teeny-bit better looking than you.”

“Yeah? Well, I’m just a teeny-bit taller than you,” Dongin teased.

“That was a low blow.” Kai feigned pain.

Dongin laughed and turned into the next street. “We’re here. Have a good time at your orientation. Use your social skills to woo the ladies. Fighting!” He pumped his fist.

Kai grinned and got out of the car. His brother drove away, leaving him stranded at his new university. Kai looked up at the enormous campus and took a deep breath. He was feeling slightly nervous to be at a new environment. He opened the map of the campus and followed it to the area where the orientation would be held. It was not hard to find at all because there were hundreds of new students crowded at the main quad where the event was held.

Kai walked up to the table for his major to sign up.

“Yo, Kai!” A voice shouted. Kai paused and looked back to see some of his high school friends.

Chanyeol grabbed his shirt and yanked him back. “Why didn’t you pick up your damn phone?! I’ve been calling and calling!”

“Sorry. I didn’t hear it,” Kai said.

“, I have to sign in, too.” Sehun went in line.

Baekhyun smiled at Kai. “You ready?”

Kai shrugged casually. “It’s just an orientation.”

“You know, I’m surprised you’re deciding to be in computer science,” Baekhyun pointed out.

“Why not? He’s good at technology.” Chanyeol shrugged.

Baekhyun shot him a look. “Computer science is not just about technology, you know. Forget Kai. I’m surprised you signed up for computer science.”

“Hey! What is that supposed to mean?” Chanyeol squinted his eyes.

“Forget it if you don’t know.” Baekhyun sighed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter