Chapter 12

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U4GGmTmplw

Huh Gak: Memory of your scent

===============================================

Jongsuk and Minjoo prepared for their upcoming graduation. They took the last of their most important exams and planned for the future together in his living room. Minjoo reached into the bowl and grasped a handful of m&m candies. She chewed on the chocolate as she wrote down her top priority colleges.

“Let’s see.” Jongsuk took her list and scrutinized it. “Number one is National Seoul University, of course. Number two is Yonsei. And number three is Hanyang. No international schools?”

Minjoo tilted her head. Do you have international universities on your list?

His lips quirked upwards. “If I did, would you add them to your list?” Her smile widened, and he didn’t even have to read her eyes to know the answer was yes.

Jongsuk kissed her nose and gave her his list. Their favorite colleges were the same.

“We get our acceptance letters next week. I hope you get into the college and program you want,” He said. She rested her folded arms on top of his lap and beamed up at him. I hope we get into the same college.

Jongsuk rested his forehead against hers. “I hope for the same as well.”

Minjoo was planning to become a nurse, and Jongsuk wanted to become a lawyer. If they went to the same college, they could start on their careers together and start a bright future together where the past would be no more.

Minjoo crossed her fingers and hoped that day would come fast. She couldn’t wait to get out of here.

----------

Minjoo came downstairs to see her aunt preparing for tonight’s business.

“Hey,” Her aunt smacked gum between her teeth and nodded towards the table. “Something came for you.”

Minjoo walked towards the table, and her eyes widened at the envelopes that had arrived. The college acceptance letters were finally here! If I got them, that means Jongsuk got them, too. In giddiness, she snatched the letters off the table and raced out the door. She only stopped once until she reached his apartment.

Minjoo rang the doorbell with excitement and waited for him to open the door.

The door swung open, and Jongsuk greeted her with a warm smile. “I knew you would come. Letters?”

Minjoo eagerly nodded. Did you open yours yet?

“No, I was waiting for you,” He answered. She stepped inside and jumped onto the couch. She could see three letters on his table also. “Do you want something to drink?” Jongsuk walked towards his refrigerator.

Minjoo pouted with furrowed eyebrows and slapped her palm on the space beside her. Jongsuk laughed and walked over. “Okay, okay. Let’s open the letters first.” Minjoo beamed and placed her letters by his. “Which one first?” Jongsuk asked. Minjoo held up their third choice. Jongsuk picked up the envelope labeled Hanyang University. “Ready?” He asked. She nodded. Together, they opened their envelopes.

Their eyes lit up when they saw the congratulatory messages.

Jongsuk turned to her and smiled warmly. “You got in?” Minjoo beamed. He held up his letter. “How funny. So did I.” His eyes twinkled. Minjoo threw her arms around his neck in joy. Jongsuk wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her cheek. “I’m so proud of you, Park Minjoo.” Minjoo smiled as she ran her fingers through his short, brown hair. I’m proud of you as well.

They opened their second envelopes and were delighted to find they had been accepted to Yonsei University as well.

The final letter was the most important. Would they be accepted to their dream school?

Jongusk and Minjoo looked at each other and slowly nodded. Carefully, they opened the envelopes and held their breaths as they unfolded the letter. Minjoo’s jaw fell open. Her heart thrashed wildly, and she could feel hope rising within her. Please tell me I’m not dreaming. Please tell me that I really have been accepted to National Seoul University. She read over the letter again, and her eyes watered. Jongsuk stared at his letter, and a broad smile came on his face. Dad, I’m following in your footsteps. He looked at Minjoo, and his face fell when he saw her crying.

“What’s wrong? Did you not get in?” He took her letter and read the content.

“Dear Park Minjoo, National University Seoul is honored to tell you that you have been accepted into our prestigious nursing program…”

Jongsuk looked at her and smiled warmly. He reached out and wiped a tear off her cheek with his thumb. “You fool. Why are you crying when you got accepted?”

Minjoo gazed tearfully up at him. I’m just so happy. I never thought so many good things would happen to me. I could finally be free.

Jongsuk cupped her face and tenderly her cheek. “You’re already free. You just needed to believe in it.” Minjoo smiled happily. She wrapped her arms around him, and he hugged her tightly as she wished. Minjoo pulled back and pointed to letter from National Seoul University. Will we choose this university?

Jongsuk chuckled. “What do you think?”

Minjoo beamed and nodded earnestly. She carefully folded the letter and put it in the envelope.

Jongsuk took her hand, and she shifted her attention back to him. “Minjoo…I have something important to ask you.” His eyes were full of sincerity and faer. Minjoo tilted her head, beckoning him to ask. Jongsuk swallowed hard and placed his free hand over her hand. “Once we move to Seoul…do you…want to live with me?” Her eyes widened.

“You might want to dorm and make new friends. You may want to get a place of your own. But I really wish you would just share an apartment with me. That way…I can see you every day and be comforted to know that you’re safe. Will you…do that?” Jongsuk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter