Chapter 21

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-qx-mYlvXg

IU & High4: Not Spring, Love, or Cherry Blossoms

=============================================

The week passed by quickly, and before Minjoo knew it, it was already Friday.

Her eyes slid over to Kai who was tapping his pencil against his notebook as he intently gazed at the lecture on the screen. He had been sitting by her side every class session. Surprisingly, she wasn’t irked by it. In fact, she looked forward to his presence, which she found both amazing and disturbing.

Kai caught her looking and turned his head to make eye-contact. Her eyes widened, but she couldn’t look away. Immobile by his stare, she just stared back. The corners of his lips hitched upwards, and she blushed. What’s wrong with me? How can one smile affect me so much? Minjoo forced herself to look away.

Kai scooted closer and leaned towards her. His presence felt like static against her body, and she tried not to make any sudden movements.

“Bored?” He whispered closely to her ear. She pressed her lips together and swallowed hard.

“It’s almost over. Cheer up.” Kai pulled back. Minjoo slowly exhaled and glanced at him.

Kai grinned and winked. Minjoo quickly planted her gaze on her notebook and didn’t dare look up again.

Class ended, and she started to pack up.

“Going to work?” Kai guessed. Minjoo timidly nodded.

“Cool. I’ll see you there.” Kai waved and left without another word.

Minjoo whirled around and watched him disappear in the crowd. “I’ll see you there?” What does that mean? Is he visiting the coffee shop? I hope not. It’s too awkward to serve him. She didn’t want to be late, so she hurried to Nature Coffee.

Haneul looked up and smiled warmly. “Welcome, Minjoo. You’re right on time as always.” Minjoo smiled and waved back.

The door flung open, and Yeonhee came running in. “I’m here!” She proclaimed.

Haneul tapped her fingers on the counter with a raised eyebrow. “You were supposed to here half an hour ago.”

“I know, but I fell asleep on the bus. I was super tired from working on my essay last night.” Yeonhee rolled her eyes and sauntered towards the back.

“Like we’re all free and dandy without any homework, right, Minjoo?” Haneul winked. Minjoo rewarded her with a smile before going to the back also. She changed into her work uniform and came out to the front.

“Can you wash those fruit?” Haneul asked. Minjoo nodded and did as told.

“Did you know we’re going to have a new part-time worker today?” Haneul looked over her shoulder. Minjoo paused and shook her head. “Yeah, well, he’s going to be working with us from now on. You’ll be able to see him in a bit,” Haneul said. He? So the new worker is a guy. I wonder who he is, Minjoo thought.

A busy hour passed, and when things finally slowed down, the new worker came.

“Hey, Kai!” Yeonhee greeted excitedly. The back of Minjoo’s hair stood up, and her head shot up with bulging eyes. Kai? What is he doing here? Did he really come to see me? Oh, no. I don’t know what to do. Maybe if I stay here, he won’t notice me.

“Hey,” Kai greeted Yeonhee and then looked at Minjoo. “Hi, Minjoo.” She closed her eyes and exhaled slowly. Then, she turned around and nodded shyly.

“Oh, that’s right. You two met at my party.” Haneul smiled. “Well, Minjoo, meet our new part-time employee.”

Minjoo gawped at her. Kai was the new part-time employee?! She stared at him, and he grinned widely at her.

“You were the rookie before, and now, we have a newbie. Why don’t you help him along the way?” Haneul asked.

“I can help him,” Yeonhee helpfully offered. “No, I think it’s a good idea for Minjoo to help me,” Kai said.

I don’t, Minjoo thought with a sinking heart.

“I think so, too.” Haneul nodded encouragingly. “She can’t even talk though,” Yeonhee muttered unhappily.

Haneul put a gentle hand on Minjoo’s back. “Why don’t you show him the back first?”

Minjoo her lips nervously and nodded. She motioned for Kai to follow her and led him towards the back. Her heart pounded the whole way. She didn’t know how to explain everything to him. She used a notebook and pen to communicate with others, but for some odd reason, she felt embarrassed to do that with him. “So this is the employees-only zone.” Kai looked around. He stopped and looked her up and down. “Do I have to wear a uniform, too?” Minjoo nodded and walked over to the closet. She opened it and pulled out a neat pile of a green apron, white shirt, and tan pants. She held it out, and he took it.

“We’ll match, like a couple.” Kai chuckled.

Minjoo turned red. She walked towards the lockers and pointed to the one that the former employee used.

“Is that mine?” He asked, and she nodded.

“Which one is yours?” Kai questioned. Minjoo was hesitant to point it out, but he was waiting, so she pointed to the top one.

“I’ll keep that in mind.” He smiled. She avoided his gaze and searched the room for anything else she had to inform him about. She spotted the bulletin board and pointed.

“Do I have to read that?” Kai asked. Minjoo nodded in response.

Kai looked over the paper, and Minjoo sighed in respite that his attention was diverted for a moment. Finished, he looked at her and smiled. “Anything I need to know about, partner?”

Minjoo flushed but shook her head. If he needed anything else, he could always ask their other co-workers. Minjoo motioned for him to follow and led him back out.

“Everything clear?” Haneul asked. “Clear as crystal.” Kai made an “OK” sign with his fingers.

Haneul clapped her hands together and beamed. “Great! Go ahead and get changed so that you can get started.”

Kai nodded and went to the back with his clothes. Two customers came in, and Yeonhee went to help. Haneul and Minjoo overheard the orders and helped right away.

“So…what do you think?” Haneul asked. Minjoo gave her a questioning look.

“About the new worker,” Haneul clarified. Minjoo acted nonchalant by shrugging.

“You two are friends, aren’t you?” Haneul asked.

Minjoo glanced around and then took out her notebook.

‘We’re just classmates. I don’t know him well.’

“Ah,” Haneul nodded in understanding. “Then I guess this is a good opportunity to get to know him.”

Minjoo gave her a baffled look.

Haneul just winked and left with the drinks.

“So,” a voice said from behind, causing her to gasp and whirl around.

Kai smiled warmly at her. “Where do I start, partner?”

-------------------------------------------------

Kai was a quick learner. He was a natural barista, and he cleaned up the station and male restroom without being asked to. Minjoo was starting to suspect his perfection. Nobody could be so ideal like him. One Wednesday afternoon, Minjoo came to work right when Haneul came back out in her normal clothes.

‘Unnie, where are you going?’

She scribbled on her pad with a baffled expression.

“I have an important appointment to attend,” Haneul answered.

‘So I’ll work alone?’

“Not at all. You’ll have someone to work with so don’t worry. I’ll see you later!” Haneul patted her shoulder and left. Minjoo scratched her eyebrow. Was she being paranoid, or did Haneul seem overly excited to leave?

Minjoo went to the back and hurriedly changed. She didn’t want to leave the counter empty for too long. As soon as she arrived at the front, seven customers filed in. She was busy taking orders and making the drinks. The door opened again and again, and each time, more people seemed to come in. She didn’t have enough hands to fulfill all their orders. Just when she was overwhelmed, hands came out of nowhere and grabbed two more paper cups. “Are the two white chocolate mochas with whipped cream or no whipped cream?” Kai asked.

He’s the one I’m working with?! No wonder Haneul unnie left like that. Stunned, Minjoo just nodded.

Kai quickly made the drinks and brought them to the counter. “Two white chocolate mochas!”

The girls came up and brightened when they saw him. “Thank you,” they crooned.

“You’re welcome. Have a good day.” Kai threw them a dashing smi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter