Chapter 2

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It6JtiQWDv8

Jonghyun & Taeyeon: Breath

=============================================

A tall boy with a slender stature wearing skinny jeans, red Converse sneakers, and a light gray cardigan over a white tank top stepped into the school building. His light brown hair shined brilliantly under the sunlight, and a pair of blue headphones was resting around his neck.

School had just come to an end for the day, and students were busily making their way towards the exit.

The boy turned heads as he walked, and girls naturally gawped at his handsomeness. He seemed to be casting a different aura than any of the boys on campus, and girls couldn’t help but be mesmerized by his good looks.

On the other hand, the boy walked straight ahead without meeting any eyes. In fact, his gaze seemed to be pinned straight ahead on the office door. His shoulders bumped into different people, but he didn’t bother to say sorry nor look them in the eyes. He simply headed towards his goal and never stopped.

The boy entered the office and looked around suspiciously as he approached the reception desk with caution. His sharp eyes flitted around the office almost nervously, and he was glad to know that most of the teachers were gone due to a meeting.

“Can I help you?” The secretary asked as she pushed her red square glasses up her flat nose.

The boy’s eyes drifted downwards and accidentally locked eyes with her. Who is he? Is he new? I haven’t seen him around before. Her thoughts entered his mind, and he had no power to block them. He looked away from her and held out his finished paperwork. “I’m here to register for the school.”

The secretary took the papers and scanned it before scrutinizing him. He didn’t dare meet her eyes again.

“So…your name is Lee Jongsuk?” The secretary asked.

“Yes,” He replied simply. She peered behind him. “Where are your parents?”

“They passed away,” Jongsuk looked right at her and replied.

Shock struck her face. Oh, no. What did I just ask? She lamented. The secretary cleared . “What about your guardian then?”

“He’s in America, but I have his signature. You can contact him if you would like.” He pointed to the bottom of the first page.

The secretary input his information into the system, gave him his schedule, and told him instructions about how to get the school uniform. “You can take a tour of the school and get to know where your classes are,” She said.

Jongsuk took his new schedule and left the office. He located most his classes and even found his locker. Jongsuk walked down the hallway of the fourth floor. His eyes wandered aimlessly without a worry about meeting anyone’s eyes and getting a peek into their thoughts. He heard a sound to his left and turned his head.

Jongsuk saw a girl mopping the classroom floor and immediately turned away to avoid her eyes. He took another step forward but paused. Strangely, he felt drawn to the girl as if there were invisible strings pulling on his face that urged him to look at her. Slowly, Jongsuk turned his head, and when he was certain she was not looking his way, he managed to get a good look at her. The girl looked about to be about his age. She had a heart-shaped face with a medium-sized forehead and narrow chin. Her nose was small and proportionate, and she had porcelain skin. Her tiny, pink lips were parted slightly. She had straight and long dark golden brown hair that framed her face nicely and bangs that made her look soft and younger. He wanted to know what the color of her eyes was and slightly turned his head to get a glimpse.

At that moment, the girl turned her head, and he ducked against the wall.

His heart pounded madly, and he dared not breathe. Wait, why am I even hiding? I did nothing wrong…except perhaps spy on her. What am I even doing? I hate listening to other people’s thoughts. I escaped the city to avoid them. And now, hear I am, trying to look into her eyes. Don’t you know what happens when you see her eyes, Lee Jongsuk? Don’t be stupid, and get out of here, Jongsuk scolded himself. He sat up straight and looked back.

The girl was still mopping the floor. He pushed her to the back of his mind and forced himself to leave.

There. Done at last. Minjoo sat up straight and wiped the sweat off her brows with the back of her hand. She looked over her shoulder towards the windows and tilted her head slightly. She had felt someone staring at her, but seeing that no one was there, she realized she had been mistaken. Minjoo put the broom back in the supply closet, grabbed her backpack, and left the school.

------

After purchasing Yongin High School’s uniform, Jongsuk came back to his apartment.

Being an orphan, nobody was home. He washed his own clothes, cooked his own dinner, and cleaned his own room.

Although nobody was there to help him, he didn’t mind. He had been alone for such a long time that isolation no longer bugged him. In fact, he preferred it that way. Being with people only made his life more complicated than necessary, and it was all due to his supernatural ability. It was unbelievable, but Jongsuk had the power to read minds by seeing other people’s eyes. Not only that, but he could also see the images flashing through their minds at that moment.

Some people called his ability a gift. Other people called him a freak.

He thought his talent was rather burdensome. He couldn’t go to crowded places without being bombarded by other people’s thoughts. Some thoughts were disturbing and made him see people in different lights, which he hated. Why couldn’t he have been born normal like other people?

Jongsuk opened the last, unopened box. He stacked his books neatly on the white bookshelf and placed the one and only photo of him and his father on an empty ledge. Jongsuk touched the photo frame with mild longing and looked around his new, empty home. Would he be able to adapt to his new surroundings? He didn’t even wish for friends. He just wanted some peace and quiet for once, and he hoped this town would do that for him.

The girl he had witnessed earlier at school randomly popped into his head.

Who was she? What grade was she in? What was her name? What color were her eyes?

Jongsuk shook his head. A relationship with anyone would be with his intrusive ability. He always knew what the girl was thinking, and all of the girls who he had once had an interest in were too shallow to think of anything besides his looks. Jongsuk flattened the empty box, placed it by the door, and went to take a shower.

-------

Minjoo was late. She had never been late before, but she had been so tired from cleaning last night that she had slept without bothering to wake up.

Minjoo checked her watch, and her eyes widened. There was only ten minutes until the school bell rang, Minjoo grasped onto the strap of her backpack and broke into a sprint. She dashed into the building and hurried up the stairs. By the time Minjoo had arrived at her classroom, she was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter