Chapter 24

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIZKqNLOMJI

Lyn: Miss You Crying

====================================

The next morning, Kai came to school early. He visited all the classes that Minjoo had, but she was in none of them. He became frantic.

Was her absence his fault? Had Gaeul traumatized her?

He called her for the nth time. Her phone went to voice mail yet again.

Cursing softly, Kai sighed. He was going crazy not knowing her whereabouts. Kai checked his watch. He had class in half an hour, but he couldn’t wait any longer. He wouldn’t be able to focus anyways.

Kai ran across campus and grabbed the bus that took him to Minjoo’s hometown. He dashed up the stairs and was shocked to see that house was empty.

It was completely empty.

There was no furniture.

There was no evidence that Minjoo lived in this house at all.

Again, her identity had become a ghostly mystery, and a shiver ran down his spine. “What on earth is going on?” Kai whispered in disbelief. She lived here. I know she did. Where did she go? Was she that hurt because of yesterday? Park Minjoo, where did you go?

---------------------------------------------------------

“Can you set the table over there?” Shinhye pointed.

The movers nodded and carried the table inside.

Minjoo looked around. Their new apartment was almost finished being set up. After last night’s terrifying event, the detectives had advised her to move first thing in the morning, so that was exactly what they did. This home was a lot closer to her school though, but it was a lot farther to Shinhye’s work. Minjoo felt bad. Shinhye had to suffer because of her.

“Are you done unpacking?” Shinhye asked.

Minjoo shook her head.

“Go and unpack. I’m going to get the rest of our belongings.” Shinhye started to leave, but Minjoo grabbed her wrist. Shinhye looked back at her. “What?”

Minjoo scribbled the words ‘I’m sorry’ on her notepad and showed it off with a sincere expression.

Shinhye softened. “You fool. This is nothing to apologize about. I was getting tired of walking up all those steps anyways.” She gave a small, rare smile and left.

Minjoo went into the only bedroom in the house. She filled half of the closet with her clothes and started to hang up Shinhye’s clothes as well. Minjoo felt her phone vibrating in the pocket of her shorts. She saw who was calling her and didn’t bother to answer. Kai had been calling her since that morning. She just didn’t feel like answering calls anymore. How would she explain her complicated life to him? She was weary and guarded at the same time. I should go get my number changed today. Minjoo sighed and brushed her hair away from her face.

“Minjoo-yah! Come out here. There are detectives here to see you!” Shinhye called.

Minjoo came out of the bedroom to see two detectives. They were both tall and young and could be easily mistaken for models. Minjoo bowed politely.

“Hello. Are you Park Minjoo?” The dark-haired detective asked with a kind smile. Minjoo nodded. There was something about his smile that reminded her of Kai.

“My name is Kim Dongin. I will be one of the detectives who will be handling your case. This is my partner, Jang Eunhyuk.” The detective with light brown hair and a piercing on his left ear grinned at her. “It’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m glad that I’m able to work for a cute girl.”

Shinhye raised an eyebrow at him.

“Yah. Don’t mess around,” Dongin scolded with a look. He smiled apologetically. “I’m sorry. He can be a bit immature, but I assure you, he is a very good detective.”

“The ladies love me,” Eunhyuk remarked with a smirk.

Dongin ignored him. “Can we talk a little about your case? I’d like to get more information from you.”

Minjoo nodded and led him into the living room.

--------------------------------------------

Minjoo returned to school two days later. She felt nervous about going though. It felt as if she was exposing herself to the villain. She had not received anything else from Jong, but she was still very cautious. Anxiety returned to her with a vengeance. She had trouble sleeping and eating. When she did sleep, she got nightmares, and when she ate, she often got indigestion. Shinhye recommended for her to see a therapist, but Minjoo refused. It was useless and tiresome anyways.

Minjoo finished her second class for the day. Her eyes darted around the room as she rushed to pack. She kept her head low as she hurried out of the classroom. Someone snatched her arm out of nowhere, causing her eyes to round with panic and to open widely as she gasped for air. She started to flail desperately and scrambled towards the door. Someone help me! Please don’t let him get to me! Lee Jongsuk! Where are you? I need you!

“Minjoo, what’s wrong?! It’s just me!” He swung her around.

Minjoo saw his face, and her expression crumbled. It was only Kai, and he looked beyond bewildered. Humiliation colored her cheeks red.

“What’s wrong? Are you okay? Why do you look so freaked out? Where were you yesterday? And why didn’t you answer my phone calls?” Kai interrogated.

Minjoo didn’t answer. She was still in a state of shock. She could feel her heart pounding in her ears.

“Minjoo, answer me. Please, I’m begging you. I need to know. Did Gaeul really offend you so much?” Kai asked worriedly.

Gaeul…is the least of my concerns. Minjoo snapped out of her daze. She twisted away from him. He reached for her again, but she flinched.

Kai’s face fell. “Minjoo…I won’t hurt you.” I know, but he will, and he’ll hurt you, too.

Minjoo turned around and fled. Just like that, Kai lost her again.

--------------------------------------

Needless to say, Kai became a wreck. He skipped the rest of his classes and headed home. He didn’t eat, and he ignored all the love call from Gaeul. He sat in the darkness of his room trying to think of what he did that was so wrong. He thought of a million ways to apologize and bring her back to him, but he couldn’t find a way.

Just like that, Kai stayed barricaded in his room like a depressed maniac.

Even if his parents called him for dinner, he pretended to be asleep and just lay in the embittered silence alone.

When they had finally gone to bed, he came out of this room to invade the empty living room. Kai the television and flipped through the channels, hoping to find a show that would preoccupy his mind. Nothing distracted him though. If anything, the searing pain got worse. A tear rolled down his cheek. I must be in love with you. It hurts to think you may never want to be by my side again.

The front door opened, and Kai quickly wiped his tears away.

Dongin came in and halted when he saw the television on. His tired eyes shifted towards the couch. “Kim Jongin, what are you doing up?”

“I couldn’t sleep,” he grumbled.

Dongin sat down and studied his face. “Is something wrong?”

“No,” Kai denied.

“Yeah, right. I can tell something's wrong. What’s wrong?” Dongin questioned.

Kai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter