Chapter 27

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DG6lpIiAtQ

Ulala Session: Moon is Crying

=====================================

Mrs. Kim sighed.

Neither of her sons was home yet. They had both stayed out all night long. She understood why Dongin had not come in because of his duty as a cop, but she was baffled why Kai had not come home either. He had just called her to say he couldn’t make it because of an emergency and asked her to trust him.

Mrs. Kim finished her breakfast and dropped the dishes in the sink.

Just then, the front door opened.

“Come on in,” Dongin seemed to be saying to someone.

Mrs. Kim rushed out to greet her sons. “You’re back! Where’s Jongin?!”

At that moment, Kai came in with his arms gently around a fragile, pale-looking girl. She looked like she could fall over at any moment.

“What is going on?” Mrs. Kim asked, baffled by the strange girl in her living room.

Dongin, Kai, and Minjoo looked at her.

“Mom, this is Minjoo,” Dongin said carefully. “She’s um…”

“She’s my girlfriend,” Kai finished.

Mrs. Kim balked at him. He had never brought a girl home in his life.

“And she needs a place to stay. It’s important,” Kai stated.

He wasn’t asking. He was declaring that she would be staying here.

Mrs. Kim looked at Dongin curiously. He quietly told her the short version of Minjoo’s story. “Oh, dear. That’s the case you mentioned before? And that girl happens to be…Jongin’s girlfriend?” Mrs. Kim asked. Dongin nodded again. “Oh, you poor thing.” Sympathy flashed across her face. Her motherly side took over at once. “Take her things up. Let her stay in your room, Jongin. You can sleep with Dongin in his room for now. I’ll make some porridge. Run some hot water for a bath if you need to.” Mrs. Kim rushed into the kitchen, glad that her sons were back and that she could somehow help the girl in need.

“Come on. Let’s go.” Kai gently guided Minjoo upstairs. He led her into his room and was glad he had cleaned it the day before. He yanked the blanket back and helped her lay down. Minjoo exhaled softly as her head hit the pillow. All the knots in her muscles seemed to unwind, and her eyes drooped halfway.

Kai pulled the blanket back over her body and gently caressed her hair. “Just sleep,” he coaxed. “Don’t think about anything else and just rest. I’m going to school right now. I’ll turn in your papers and get my brother to tell the administration about your situation. Don’t worry about anything, baby. I’ll take care of everything.”

Minjoo nodded. Kai softly kissed her temple and quietly left the room.

Minjoo opened her eyes and sighed. She didn’t think she could sleep with everything that had happened in one night, but her mind shut down completely, and she was conscious no more.

Kai washed, changed, and went downstairs. He met his mother in the kitchen who was done making the porridge. “Take this up to her.”

“She’s asleep. She’ll eat later,” Kai assured.

Mrs. Kim sighed. “All right then. Are you heading out?”

Kai nodded. “I need to go to school.”

Mrs. Kim nodded. “Yes. Don’t miss your schooling. I’ll take care of everything here, so don’t you worry.”

Kai squeezed her shoulder gratefully. “Thanks, mom. I’ll explain to dad when I get back. For now, please keep her safe. She really doesn’t deserve anything that happened to her. She’s kind and gentle with a pure heart. It’s not fair that she has to go through this tragedy.”

Mrs. Kim softened and nodded. “I trust my son.”

Kai gave her a small smile.

“Let’s go, Kai. I’ll drop you off.” Dongin had changed also. “Some of my colleagues will be coming around to watch the house, so don’t worry, mom. You’ll be protected.”

“Don’t worry about me. I know you boys will do your best. Go on,” she shooed them away. Her sons left, and she went back to the kitchen to clean.

--------------------------

Minjoo slipped in and out of sleep the entire day. She didn’t eat. She didn’t drink. She stayed in bed, drifting in an out of consciousness.

When night fell, she started to have dreams.

Terrible, bloody dreams.

Images of dead Jongsuk and dead Shinhye haunted her mind. She begged for forgiveness. She begged them not to leave. She begged them to stay with her. “I’m sorry. Don’t leave me. Stay. Please. Jongsuk-ah…Shinhye unnie…you can’t go. You can’t leave me. Don’t. Please. Help me.”

“Minjoo!” A pair of hands clasped her own hands that were reaching out into the air. Her eyes shot open at once. She was breathing as if she had run a mile, and her clothes were soaked with her own sweat. Kai hovered over her with wide, worried eyes. “Are you all right?”

Minjoo shakily exhaled in relief. It was just a dream. Then her breath caught in . But that’s reality. Both Jongsuk and Shinhye unnie are gone…and it’s all my fault. If not for me, they would be alive and well. Tears welled up in her eyes.

Kai grasped her wrists and tugged her up. He searched her face and pushed the hair out of her sticky face. “Did you have a nightmare?” He snatched a few tissues from the box and dabbed her tears and sweat away. Minjoo turned her face away and took the tissues to wipe her own face. Kai placed a hand on her knee and softly gazed at her. “What were the nightmares about?” Her lips trembled at the mention of them. “Was it about Jongsuk and Shinhye noona?” Kai asked.

Minjoo burst into tears at their name. She covered her face and sobbed into her palms.

“Oh, baby…” Kai whispered before scooting closer and enveloping her in his arms. “I know. It’s hard to have two people you love taken away. It’s not going to be easy for a while, but don’t be disheartened. I’ll be here for you every step of the way. You’re going to be okay. I promise.”

Minjoo held tightly onto him. He was the only source of her comfort now. If he was gone, she didn’t know what she would do. Minjoo suddenly tensed. What if Jong comes after Kai next? What if he kills Kai in a horrendous way, just like how he murdered Jongsuk and Shinhye unnie? No. No, I can’t have that. Tears rapidly fell down her face, and she clutched onto him.

Kai felt her rigid body and gently pried her away. He looked into her eyes with concern. “What’s wrong?”

Minjoo frantically looked around. She needed something to write with.

“Are you looking for your phone?” Kai brought it to her, and she immediately began to type.

‘What if Jong comes after you?’

Kai read her concern and firmly shook his head. “He won’t. If he does, I’ll be ready.”

Minjoo was frustrated.

‘You don’t understand Jong. You can’t underestimate him. He does awful things to good people. No matter how prepared you are, he’ll strike, and you’ll get hurt. I won’t be able to bear it if he hurts you.’

Kai took her shoulders and looked straight into her eyes. “Minjoo, don’t worry. I can take care of myself. I have my brother, too. You’re forgetting I’m a cop’s brother. I learned a few self-defense moves from him. I’ll be alert. I promise.”

But is that enough? Minjoo wondered. She became vexed. Every person that had become precious in her heart had been

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter