Superman

Are You The One?

 

                     

                      It’s already been two whole days since I’ve last seen Jiyeul.

Her toy bunny now lives in the corner of my bedroom. I know, not such a great place to keep it – especially during the night – but being as big as that fluff ball, where else was I suppose to put it?

 

Last night, I even swore it moved from its place. Like literally. One second, it was sitting still, not a single fur stood, than as I turned around, it shifted places. As if its feet hopped to the edge of my bed, I automatically flew backwards into the bed head.

Ouch.

 Its tail shook and its nose twitched as I grabbed any reachable pillow to attack the evil, man-eating bunny with.

Its piercing teeth glared at me with honour. The red pair of eyes studied me before its paws struck out the ever sharp claws.

I tried calling for help, but no use. The lump in my throat was clogged up from the hard grip that pressed against my neck.

I found a pillow and hastily smacked it across its face, making it only to flinch.

Say what now?

The bag of feathers continuously whipped its face but the bunny didn’t bother to budge, not even a single bit.

Struggling to gasp the air back into my lungs, all the strength in my body that was left sent the toy somersaulting into the wall, leaving a great dent big enough to fit in another walk-in wardrobe.

I watched my fists glow a bright purple as the cuts on my arms healed itself.  I felt invincible defeating that damn fur ball . . .

Oh, wait.

My mistake that was the dream I just had before waking up to this early morning.

Last night it actually talked . . . no that was my imagination. Sorry.

What am I saying? That sca- I mean that fluffy bunny was really harmless and didn’t dare to move.

Hang on a minute, is it just me, or the clock reads 1:30PM?

Uh oh! I need to do the grocery shopping for Uhmma.

I guess all the dancing and practising in front of the mirror really did get to me.

 

 

                   "Minwoo, the shopping list is on the fridge and please don't forget to go to the bank first, so you can get the money to buy the gorcery for tonight's dinner. We're having Dakbokkeumtang (Spicy Braised Chicken)." I heard Uhmma call out from the hallway.

"Ne, I'm going now, just fixing my hair a bit." I replied whilst unlocking my bedroom door.

“Aish. Minwoo-ah, there’s no need for your hair to be perfect.” She ruffled my hair.

“Uhmma,” I whined.

“It looks alright the way it is,” She gave me a tight hug and made her way into the kitchen and handed me the list.

“Kamsahamnida Uhmma.”

“Quick before the traffic is going to go crazy, because at this time of the day, they’re going to be running like a stampede of wild cows.”

I chuckled at seeing her act out her explanation. Using her fingers as cow horns on her heads and flapping out her arms about like crazy cows terrorising the city.

 

 

                     Uhmma was sure correct. The traffic was going crazy indeed. The engines roared alive as the lights flashed green in one lane whilst the other side of the road growled at the red beam, waiting to chase after what was in front, their prey escaped for its life.

Waiting to cross the busy grounds, a little girl was chasing a bright yellow balloon, flying and bouncing off the grass and onto the brink of the road where a bus was about to charge through.

It happened so fast.

There was a screech of tyres as it painted the road.

My ears were deafened from the screams that wavered from different directions.

And pain raced in every muscle and nerve inside of me.

I found the courage to let my eyes search around.

The road looked to close and the vehicles stood sideways on four wheels. Not far, the yellow balloon lay as flat as a pancake. Then I realised that I was lying on the ground.

My body was shielding a petite body, my arms were wrapped around, protecting. Her familiar face sniffled as she trembled all over, her tears soaking my shirt which had dark patches criss-crossed on the purple material.