Chapter 18: Cherry

Our Way of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After having left Jay’s house Ace drove Shorty to her apartment. The ride was quiet at first but Shorty just had too many questions to ask Ace that she couldn’t stay quiet much longer. “I sense tension between you and Jay.”

“Tension is the least of it.”

“How did the two of you go from being such good friends to yelling at each other?”

Ace sighed in frustration. “I wouldn’t be surprised if next time we start throwing punches at each other.”

“What? Why?!”

Ace kept one hand on the wheel and went through her front pocket with the other. She pulled out the picture and handed it to Shorty. “I got the evidence I was talking about.”

Shorty took it and unfolded it. “It’s a picture of Jay and Nam Joon but… I thought you didn’t know about her and him. She even told me to keep it a secret from you. Who told you?”

“Hara unnie besides I found that picture right before that girl caught me.”

Shorty gasped “No… Don’t tell me…”

Ace nodded “there is no doubt in my mind now that Nam Joon is from BTS. And according to the profile I have built on him, as a person and academically, he is the leader.”

“Shouldn’t you wait until you find the seventh member?” Ace shook her head but Shorty was persistent. “But don’t you think there is a slight chance that he might not be?”

“No doubt” Ace shook her head once again.

Looking down at the picture Shorty felt lament for Jay. “How are we going to tell Jay?”

“Were you not just there when we were fighting? “ Ace’s voice began to get louder. “I tried to tell her but she won’t listen because she loves him. Feelings like love are useless to us. It only gets in the way and clouds our judgment.”

“Our” Shorty questioned. “Does that mean you are in love too?”

“N-no” Ace felt a pang in her heart as Ho Seok’s face appeared in her mind after hearing the question from Shorty. “I meant for Jay and Royal T. She too is getting over her head with this engagement thing.”

“Royal T doesn’t love him. She only says he’s not so bad. She’s thankful she was lucky and didn’t get set up with an old ugly man. The only reason she is going on with everything is because she wants to give it a try. She wants to make her parents happy; she wants to help out the Kim family, especially the little girl. But most importantly she has hoped that one day they might come to love each other.”

Ace looked at Shorty with a face of disgust. “Oh my God you too!? Don’t tell me you are going to have a boyfriend by the end of the week.”

This time Shorty’s face became sullen. She looked out the window as memories of what happened to her while being captured by Big Bang and Minsoo came to her mind. “I can never go near a guy without having those images in my head. I will just be happy to see my friends have a chance at something I didn’t.” She smiled happily. “That’s why I’m glad for Jay and Royal T.”

Feeling uncomfortable talking about the subject now that she saw Shorty’s reaction, Ace drove in silence. When she got to Shorty’s apartment all she could do was say goodnight.

Shorty climbed up the stairs to her apartment. When she got in she immediately headed for her bed. “What is going on with everyone” she sighed.

She closed her eyes wanting to forget what happened at Jay’s house. To say she was confused was an understatement. It seemed Ace was drifting apart from everyone because of how differently her views were. Then again Ace could have a point with everything. What if Nam Joon really was the leader of BTS and was only using Jay? “Whose side should I be on” she asked herself.

Suddenly she felt the bed vibrate and jumped up. After getting off the bed she felt the phone vibrate again and realized it was her phone. She sighed as she took it out of her back pocket. “Aish Mi Sun you’re so stupid sometimes” she scolded herself.

When she saw the screen it said ‘Unavailable’. “Hello” she answered not knowing who it could be.

“Is Ace with you” the voice answered back.

The voice sounded very familiar. “No she isn’t. Jay is it you?”

“Yes.”

“Why aren’t you using your phone?”

“Because I know Ace is tracking my phone. Now tell me what did you find at the BTS hangout?”

Shorty thought about whether to tell her about the picture or not for a moment. “Well… Ace did find something but Jay I don’t know if I should be telling you about it.”

“Of course you should tell me! If not me, then who? I am the leader and I have to know everything so I can decide what we do next!” Jay was angry that now Shorty was starting to act against her.

“I’m not betraying you or anything “Shorty defended herself. “It’s just that Ace brought up some good points. She is the only un-biased person who can act against BTS. Royal T is engaged to a member of BTS as for you and me we have one thing in common. That thing is the reason I can’t tell you.”

“You mean Nam Joon” Jay bluntly asked.

Shorty’s eyes widened thinking Jay already had discovered them. “What are you talking about?”

“I already know Ace too well. She keeps saying Nam Joon has to be the leader of BTS. Although I deny it I know there is a possibility just like there is a possibility for anyone else to be the leader of BTS but I need evidence.” After a long pause she began again “did she get any?”

Shorty nodded knowing Jay couldn’t see her. “No she didn’t.” She felt better nodding and saying no at the same time. It was like she didn’t lie at all.

She then heard Jay smirk through the phone. “I knew it. She just can’t stand down so she will probably try going again but this time alone.”

“Probably” Shorty whispered. It was like she had just betrayed Jay to give Ace the benefit. She just hoped it would help Ace out to not have Jay on her. If there was a way to support both of them then Shorty would.

“Thanks take care” Jay hung up the phone.

***

It was the day before Jin’s engagement party and Rap Monster was getting worried. He had figured out that Hyun Jae wouldn’t go to school if she was busy trying to find the girl she referred to as Lust.

He too didn’t go after that day. He was desperately trying to find out about Lust on his own. He wanted to protect her and keep her safe. He knew she wouldn’t answer his calls or messages so he wouldn’t even try. What he did try was going to her house.

Every time he went he would just see Soo Mi pick up Odette. Never did he see Hara or Jay come out of the house. He was starting to worry more today because he didn’t even see Odette or Soo Mi.

He decided to go to Jin’s school knowing there was a chance he or Autumn could tell him something about Hyun Jae.

When he got to their school he walked around asking people if they knew where either Kim Seok Jin or Song Autumn was. A girl finally pointed him in the right direction.

He saw Autumn sitting on a bench alone. Before he could reach her Autumn had already looked up and noticed him. “Oh Nam Joon what are you doing here?”

He sat across from her and smiled. “I’m sorry for showing up in front of you so suddenly…”

Royal T shook her head “it’s alright I’m not busy.”

“You’re one of Hyun Jae’s close friends. I’m sure you know what’s going on between us at the moment.”

She nodded confirming his thoughts.

“It’s only natural that after not seeing or contacting her for this long I would be worried.”

“Sorry Nam Joon” Royal T stopped him. “I would really love to put you out of your worries but I myself don’t know what is going on with her at the moment.”  Truth was Hyun Jae had already warned her about the situation. She was to say she hadn’t talked or seen her since the day they went to the dress boutique if Jin or Nam Joon asked.

Nam Joon sighed but quickly composed himself as he heard Jin call out to him.

“What are you doing here” Jin asked but quickly smirked. “Wait; don’t tell me… you’re asking about your girl aren’t you?”

He nodded “yeah.”

“Don’t worry after all you will get to see her tomorrow at the party so you better be looking good.” Jin liked to tease Rap Monster when it came to the topic of Hyun Jae.

Ace walked over to the place she had said she would meet Royal T. She sighed as she got closer to the spot and saw Jin sitting next to her. She hesitated getting any closer as she saw them immersed in conversation with an unknown male who sat across from Royal T.

She couldn’t tell who he was from behind. By the look on Jin’s face Ace could tell the conversation wasn’t serious so she decided to approach them. “Autumn” she called out catching everyone’s attention.

When Nam Joon turned around Ace’s face became a stone. She had so many emotions bottled up inside because of him. She had the anger she wanted to express to him for changing her friend 180 degrees. The disappointment she couldn’t express to Hyun Jae for falling in love with someone and clouding her judgment, the lament for the choice Royal T had made in ruining her own life to help others. All that started because of one person and whenever that person’s name was mentioned her blood boiled. Now having him in front made her want to throw a punch at him and keep punching until he bled to death.

She avoided his presence completely and only looked at Royal T. “I’m sorry Autumn” she took out the invitation to her engagement party from her jacket’s pocket and placed it in front of her “but I won’t be able to attend tomorrow.”

Royal T looked down at the invitation and back at Ace with confusion. “Wh-what do you mean? Soo Mi you are one of my best friends, you have to go.” She gave the invitation back but Ace pushed it away.

“I’m sorry I just won’t be able to. I have urgent things to take care of.” Now she looked at Jin as well. “I’m sorry I hope both of you will forgive me.” She wanted to make herself sound as genuine as possible.

Royal T opened but closed it again not knowing what she could say to change Ace’s mind. Seeing this Ace walked away knowing she had finished her business but not before sending a small glare to Nam Joon. Although he was wearing his sunglasses she could tell he had looked directly at hers.

After so many years of facing Hyun Jae she had been able to see through the glasses. It was kind of a scary gift she had developed.

Nam Joon sensed Soo Mi was trying to say something with that look. After she had left he stood up and excused himself. “I’m sorry but I have to go now.” Both Jin and Autumn said goodbye and he quickly walked back to his car with his hands in his pockets thinking what he would do about Hyun Jae.

When he got to his car he found Ace leaned against the driver’s side. “Can I help you?”

Ace pushed off the car and faced him. “You came to ask about Hyun Jae, am I correct?” After he nodded she smiled trying to look cheery and helpful. “Then I can help you.”

This look she was giving him seemed so different from the one she had given him when she left. “You can?”

Ace nodded with the best fake smile she could pull off. “You see I am the only one Hyun Jae has been keeping in contact with. You can relax because she is fine and she actually wanted me to pass along a message to you. I was going to as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter