Chapter 6

We Were There

Hello!
I am busy writing a sequel to 'Finding love in memories',
the oneshot I wrote starring Taemin.
However, I will not forget to update this story. :)
Also, I came up with the greatest love confession ever!
I hope you will all anticipate the chapter where Sungyeol will confess
with this great idea of mine.
What do you think would be a great love confession? Tell me!
Also, in this chapter, Sungyeol's past will be revealed!
Here we go again!
Tinywings


-----

“Amber,” I looked around as I continued, “can I talk to you for a second?”

“Sure.”

It was lunchtime and I wanted to grab this opportunity to talk with Amber. There is something I want to figure out, something that keeps bugging me.

“What do you want to talk about?”

She said while sipping on her drink. We both took place on the bench behind school, where most of the time nobody would be.

“Well,” I nervously began, “you know Sungyeol?”

“Lee Sungyeol?”

I nodded my head and she gestured me to go on.

“You once told me something about him, do you remember? You said that it feels like whatever you told him, it does not reach him, remember?”

“Yes, I remember.”

She said with big, curious eyes, and I knew she was eager to hear what I wanted to say next.

“Well, do you know why that may be so?”

She sighed in disappointment and then shrugged her shoulders.

“I thought you were going to tell me something great. Well, I do not know. It just feels like he is faking everything.”

She said matter-of-factly, and I could not help but to agree with her somehow.

“But,” she suddenly continued, having all my attention, “I did hear some rumors about him.”

“What rumors?”

I asked curiously, and I could see she was thinking really hard to remember. Her eyes widened brightly as she remembered.

“It was the rumor of the school back then, I remember! He used to date with a really beautiful girl, and she would occasionally wait for him after school. It was a hot topic back then, because Sungyeol would always be around with her, wherever he is.”

I nodded as I eagerly listened to her story. Every little thing about him meant a lot to me nowadays, even if it is the past already.

“I heard they got into a big fight because of her little sister.”

“Her little sister?”

“Im Sooyung. She used to be in our class.”

“She was your-”

She slightly nodded, her eyes wandering around the place. Whenever she was mentioned of her childhood friend, a sad atmosphere would be around. I have known Amber for some time now, but I never dared to ask her about it.

“A really good friend of mine.”

“And do you know the sister’s name?”

“Im Yoona.”

“I see.”

A smile crept on my lips. There were so many things unsolved, but at least one thing was sure; something must have happened between the three of them. It may be something we would have never thought of, or even dared to think of, or just something innocent, but most certainly, it must have meant a lot to Sungyeol.

“But Minhee, I do not think you should be so curious about it.”

Amber said while taking another sip from her drink.

“But-”

“Digging into someone’s private life,” A sudden intruding voice said, “is something only a lowlife would do.”

My eyes widened as I heard his stern voice.

“Sungyeol…”

“You should listen to your friend here, you know.”

I felt like I was caught, as if I just committed a big sin. Did I already cross the line of normal curiosity? His disapproving look says enough, it says more than a thousand words to describe my actions. The worst of all is that I was caught by the one person I did not want to disappoint in any way. Unconsciously, tears were forming in the corners of my eyes. I quickly hid them behind the palm of my hand, hoping nobody saw it.

“Ya, she was only curious!”

Amber snapped at him, standing up for me.

“I hate curious people who think they can innocently look through other people’s life. Nothing good will come out of it, eventually.”

“I-I am sorry.”

The embarrassment and guilt was killing me as he continued to throw harsh words to me. Please, please stop, you have no idea how much your words are hurting me. Every single word you say, I take them by heart.

“Sungyeol, shut up!”

I watched how Myungsoo ran to us and grabbed Sungyeol by his collar. His warning look was terrifying, but all Sungyeol did was smirking back. He turned to me and I could see the tinge of gentleness as he looked me in the eyes. He sighed as he looked back at Sungyeol, who was looking around like a little child.

“Great, Sungyeol, come and make everything even worse.”

He said in his rage and threw him on the ground roughly. Amber and I did not say a thing, and just looked at the two, as they threw daggers at each other with their eyes.

“You,” he said while gritting his teeth, and he pointed his finger to Sungyeol while speaking, “I am always the one to clean your mess. Be a little more responsible for your words.”

Myungsoo walked to me and grabbed me by the arm, dragging me with him and away from there. I was grateful that he stood up for me, that he took me away from that place. As I watched his back, foolishly I could see the gentleness in it. Even though I never really spoke to him, he is always surrounded by a calm, friendly atmosphere, a total opposite of Sungyeol. Sungyeol is so straightforward, that sometimes it is painful to be near him.

“Are you alright?”

He asked as we were back in our classroom.

“Y-yes.”

As he looked out the window, he heaved a sighed, followed by a gentle smile.

“Sungyeol did not mean it. It was just on the spur of a moment.”
 
“Ah, I see.”

I almost whispered. It was as if all the words were lost somewhere. I could not find the words to say or to use right now.

“We do not know how it feels because we have never experienced it, but looking into someone’s past when someone wants to bury it, it simply kills that person. The feeling of not being able to let go of the past, because someone does not want to let it go, it feels like someone is stabbing a knife in your heart over and over, wringing it in you just to make sure you suffer because of every singly detail.”

“Did Sungyeol ex-”

“You call him Sungyeol already.”

He said while wearing a gentle smile. I nodded embarrassedly.

“Then call me Myungsoo, and please continue.”

“Ah yes, Myungsoo,” I said nervously, “I-I just want to ask you, did S-Sungyeol experienced something in his past that had such an impact on him… That changed him?”

“You felt it, huh?”

I nodded and in my nervousness, I began to play with the end of my skirt. I watched Myungsoo as he took a deep breath, his eyes glistering with concern and sympathy.

“Sungyeol had a girlfriend when he was in tenth grade. Sungyeol… Really liked her, loved her.  But they were only together for a short time, because she died in a car accident.”

That was when all the pieces gradually started to fit.

-

Sungyeol’s first love was Yoona. 
Sungyeol’s first heartbreak had to be so cruel.
Sungyeol’s first girlfriend was taken away from him.

Without knowing, everyone grows up.
Do we change while growing up?
I think I am still the same as when I first met him.
The only change is, that I already cannot
think of a life without him.

It has been two weeks already and I never spoke to Sungyeol again. Time has flown and summer break is almost coming. And it is only now that I start to realize, then time goes incredibly fast. If you do not grab hold of it, it will pass you by.