Chapter 4

We Were There

Today Super Junior came back on Music Back, kyaaa!!!
I am a real fangirl when it comes to them :D <3
Here is another chapter, and Sungyeol's past is slowly being revealed :)
Another thing, I used a drawing for the main character in my fanfic in my poster as you can see,
because I just like to be able to imagine the main character entirely.
So that is why mostly Minhee's looks are not being described. :)
Enjoy!
Tinywings


-----

 

I nervously entered the fast-food restaurant, looking around to find him. The feeling of disappointment filled me as I could not get a glimpse of him. This time, I did not come because of my parents. No, this time, I came because of him. Even though the atmosphere at home was tense, I was more than happy to feel the tension slowly building off. There was a time I could not concentrate on my homework because of the problems at home, but nowadays, it was gradually lightening up. And when I thought about it, it was Sungyeol who helped me. He talked to me when I needed it the most. He comforted me when I wanted it the most. But most importantly, he was there when I needed someone the most.

“Minhee-sshi, what are you doing here?”

I woke up from my thoughts to meet a pair of gentle eyes.

“Myungsoo-sshi, hello.”

He smiled at me before looking at his watch.

“Where is he?”

He muttered, just hard enough for me to hear.

“Are you waiting for someone?”

I asked, noticing the frown on his face. The expression on his face was so unusual, it felt so strange. The Myungsoo I know never had a frustrated expression. And deep inside, it unsettled me.

“I am waiting for Sungyeol.”

“I see. Is he working today then?”

“No, but he promised me he would come here today. He is never this late, though.”

“Maybe it is just the traffic. Call him.”

He quickly grabbed his phone and dialed his phone number. After a while, he frustratingly put his phone back in his pocket.

“Nobody is answering.”

He was about to say something, when he suddenly grabbed his phone again. His expression suddenly turned into a sympathetic look, as he looked at his phone.

“That is why.”

He said while staring at his phone, making me confused. Is something wrong?

“Today is June 3rd.”

-

“Myungsoo-sshi, wait up.”

I tried to keep up with his fast walking. Myungsoo left without saying a word, and I did not know what to do, so I followed him. I must be sticking my nose into something private, but I could not help myself but to feel curious. Everything that concerns Sungyeol, I want to know. Myungsoo abruptly stopped walking, and turned to me with a stern expression.

“You should go home, Minhee-sshi.”

“But you look so unhappy…”

“I am not.”

“You are lying.”

“Even if I am lying, that is none of your concern.”

Even though it was true, those words felt harsh to me. Maybe I was being nosy after all. After all, I did not even really know him, so why am I acting like I can help them in any way? In their eyes, I am probably nothing more than just another person. I smiled bitterly as I realized I was being conceited.

“I am sorry, I did not realize that I crossed the line, sorry.”

Even though I am sorry, there is still a part of me that wants to know. There is still this selfish little part inside of me that does not wants to give up. Sungyeol… Is hiding something for sure. When you think about it, I am just another ordinary girl. Having this growing curiosity inside of me is not that weird. After a moment of silence, he began to speak again.

“You really want to know?”

He asked carefully, the wariness could be seen in his eyes. I nodded my head determined, happy that he was giving me a chance to find out.

“Yes.”

“Then follow me.”

-

“Myungsoo-sshi, wait up.”

I sighed in frustration as I heard her voice. I am not mad at her or anything, but I do not know what to say to her anymore. Just now, I almost said too much. If I say anything more, I may hurt Sungyeol, and I cannot afford to do that to him. Not when he still cannot get over everything. I abruptly stopped and turned around to look at her.

“You should go home, Minhee-sshi.”

I said with a serious expression. Sungyeol is trying really hard to get over the past. The way he acts and the way he speaks, it all shows his utmost effort to move on. As a friend, I can only help him as much as keeping everything a secret. Only Sungyeol can save himself, but I am willing to support him until the end.

“But you look so unhappy…”

Stop looking at me like that, when the one who is truly unhappy is Sungyeol…

“I am not.”

“You are lying.”

“Even if I am lying, that is none of your concern.”

I mentally slapped myself as I realized what I said. I should not have said that, it sounded harsh even to me. Kim Myungsoo, you really are a bad guy. Guilt was building inside of me as the sadness was shown on her face.

“I am sorry, I did not realize that I crossed the line, sorry.”

“Sorry Myungsoo, I must have crossed the line, sorry.”

My eyes widened upon hearing those words. It felt like a déjà vu, hearing her say the same words she once said.

“You really want to know?”

I said without further thinking. I did regret it after I said it, but seeing her expression brighten after hearing it, I decided to just let her know. Maybe, just maybe, she could help me with Sungyeol. I just have the feeling she could. No, it is that if there were to be someone who could save Sungyeol that would be her.

“Yes.”

“Then follow me.”

-

“Myungsoo-sshi, where are we going?”

I followed Myungsoo as we walked on the streets. We have been wandering for some time already. He pointed at the house across the streets.

“To Sungyeol.”

“M-maybe I should just go. I should not have followed you.”

I said, suddenly feeling incredibly insecure. I should have just left when he told me to, because now I am beginning to feel really unsure of what I am doing. It feels as if… As if I am getting eaten up by regret.

“Do not worry, he will not eat you up.”

“But-”

“He may not even come out of his house, so do not worry.”

I gave him an obedient nod and followed behind him. He gently pressed the doorbell, waiting for someone to open the door. I unconsciously hid behind Myungsoo as I saw him open the door.

“Myungsoo, Minhee? What are you two doing here?”

“I waited for you for almost an hour, Lee Sungyeol.”

He sat as he walked passed a surprised Sungyeol. Sungyeol turned to me and gave me a smile. Seeing him in casual clothes only made him look more handsome, making me feel more insecure about my own appearance. The more I saw Sungyeol, the more I felt he was too good for me. Even when I am standing next to him, and I fully know the fact that we are both human and therefore the same, deep inside something is telling me that we are different. He is no star, no celebrity, although for me, he is the same like that; unreachable.


“Hello, Minhee-sshi, come in.”

“T-thank you.”

I said as I stepped inside his house. I took off my coat and shoes and followed him inside the living room, where Myungsoo was already comfortably sitting on the couch.

“Ya, Kim Myungsoo, are you really angry?”

Sungyeol said as he nudged the angry looking Myungsoo. However, his expression gradually turned into the same sympathetic look he just showed, and I could not help but to wonder why he would show such an expression. Sungyeol, however, seems to be oblivious about it.

“Of course not. Are you alright?”

He said while patting his shoulder, his eyes filled with concern. Sungyeol laughed awkwardly, a laughter that did not match him. Maybe he did saw it.

“Of course I am. Would you two,” He glanced over to me, “want something to drink?”

“I will go get it myself.”

Myungsoo said as he stood up and walked to where the kitchen was. Sungyeol looked at me with a warm smile plastered on his face.

“What can I get you?”

“E-everything is fine, really.”

I said nervously. His smile turned into a playful smirk.

“Then let’s get you drunk.”

He said and walked away before I could even say anything. I awkwardly looked around the living room, far too uncomfortable to freely walk around and look at everything. In the end I just gave up on looking around. I was about to step inside the kitchen, when I heard their conversation.

“Why did you bring her here?”

Sungyeol said with a stern expression that disappointed me. He must have been unhappy letting me inside his house uninvited.

“I met her when I was waiting for you.”

Myungsoo said calmly, not looking at Sungyeol. Sungyeol furiously put the glass down, causing a frightening sound inside the kitchen.

“So you brought her with you?”

“Ya, calm down will yo- Minhee-sshi.”

Their eyes widened in surprise as they noticed me by the door. I quickly bowed my head in embarrassment.

“Sorry to have bothered you.”

I muttered before quickly walking to the front door. I quickly put on my coat and shoes and without looking around, I quickly walked outside. I took a deep breath as I closed the door behind me, closing my eyes in the hope to keep my tears in.

“I should not have followed… It is my own fault…”

I whispered to myself as I walked away with my head lowered. Maybe I did do something wrong. Maybe I did make him mad at me. I do not know, but surely something must have offended him, or maybe again I was being conceited. Maybe again, I thought he did not hate to be around me. Again, I felt incredibly insecure. The worst part is the fact that I turned around. The fact that I foolishly turned around only to be disappointed badly because he did not came outside.

-

“Well done, Lee Sungyeol, well done.”

I said as I sat across of him in the living room. The smirk on his face irritated me.

“You were the one who brought her here, Myungsoo, I did not ask for her to come. If there were to be someone to blame, then that person would be you.”

I scoffed at his words. Once again, he acted like nothing mattered. Ever since that news broke into his life, he has been like this.

“A year already, huh?”

I said while watching his reaction. He turned his head away from me, and that told me enough. I sighed, my sympathetic eyes following his every move.

“It does not matter.”

“If it really did not matter, you would not have stayed home the whole day. And if it really did not matter, you would not have said those words just now.”

He covered his eyes with the back of his hand, followed by a tired sigh.

“She… resembles her.”

“I know.”

I said while taking a sip from my drink, and amusingly looked at his surprised expression as he heard my comment.

“How-”

“The way she talks, is just like her. The way she acts, it resembles her.”

“I am sorry, I did not realize that I crossed the line, sorry.”

“Sorry Myungsoo, I must have crossed the line, sorry.”


It is more than understandable for Sungyeol to get fired up and confused, because she really does resemble her. Even I almost got confused by her, so for Sungyeol, it must be really hard. But that is why maybe she can help Sungyeol.

“Sungyeol, are you still regretting it?”

Sungyeol threw his head against the couch frustratingly. He slowly closed his eyes, and heaved a sigh.

“There is nothing to regret.”

I sighed defeated. My eyes wandered around the house for a while.

“Where is your mother?”

“Do not know.”

He said childishly, but I could see the relief on his face by the change of subject. Sungyeol is a real kid when it comes to his mother, but aside from his mother, there are only two people who know the real Sungyeol. One is me, and two was… she.

“Such a good child you are, always caring about your mother.”

“Shut up.” He said playfully. “She is just busy with working.”

We talked to each other for some more time, before getting to sleep. He went back to normal again, and I was glad this day finally passed. A year since she left you… And you still cannot let go of her.

-