Ch 2. Forgetting

Meant to be?

-6 months later-

This couldn't be happening to us, it just couldn't be. I felt tears stream down my face as I hugged my brother, Ryu, who was clinging to me desperately seeking for some source of comfort. I haven't seen him act like this in forever. We looked on ahead in horror at the flaming wreck which, until 10 mins ago, was still our beloved family car. Our mom and dad were nowhere in sight and nowhere tobe found, so that could only mean one thing, they could only be in one place... the car. The two of us were fine because the drunk driver crashed into the car head first. "Is mom and dad going to be okay?" Ryu looked at me and waited for an answer, expecting an answer from me. I haven't seem him look so defenseless and lost since he was 5 and he lost his teddy bear. I couldn't lie to him and say that they were gonna walk out of the car crash and come hug us because they weren't. They weren't going to come back out ever again. All I could do was hold him even closer to me. "Mom and dad are going to a faraway place , but don't worry I'll take care of you even if it costs me my life."

They say that when someone goes through something traumatic and too life changing for them to handle, their brain activates a defense mechanism which helps you to oppress that part of the memory and sometimes even good memories because they were so close to the event. Just like that, Maki lost some memory. She knew her parents were dead ad she knew why they were dead, but she oppressed the details of that horrific event and the pain lessened along with the memories. That seems like a great idea but with that oppression, she also forgot what the boy in Nagasaki looked like, but the meeting was engraved in her mind. It was a blurry 6 months for Maki and she had no problem with it. Just like that, she kept on living.

-3 years later-

It's been 3 years since the death of my mom and dad. I'm 19 now. I live alone, I eat alone, basically I do everything alone. That's for the best though, so that when they leave it doesn't hurt as much.  In order to pay for the funeral and to get the money to send Ryu to America, I sold everything. The house, the restaurant, everything was gone. Shortly after their death, I knew that I couldn't let Ryu stay with me. I couldn't give him the life he needed and deserved. All I saw when I looked into the future was darkness and a road that I didn't know how to walk. So, with the little money left after the funeral and everything else, I sent him to America to live with a trusted friend of mine who was a little older than me. he's been living there for almost 3 years now and he seems happier. He didn't understand why I still stayed in Japan, and I didn't want him to know. The money wasn't enough for both of us and I took a loan out from the bank in order to tie up al the loost strings and pay for his schooling. I was slowly drowning in debt. working 3 jobs a day wasn't enough, but today could change everything. I managed to get an interview for a job working as a live in assistant for some really popular boy band. The money I could save on food and housing was enormous, and the pay was good because I was going to be a 24 hr assistant. But right now, I was running late because of my second job and the future wasn't looking too bright right now. I ran into the interview room and started apologizing madly, unaware of the fact that there was a smudge on my face and the the fact that compared to the other people who were being interviewed, i looked like crap. When I looked back up, there were 6 extremely good looking boys looking straight back at me.

KAT-TUN's POV

The day had been filled with interview after interview, and the worst part was that they still didnt find the person that they were looking for yet. But that was about to change when a girl ran through the door looking like crap compared to the other applicants, but at the same time she was extremely cute even though she wore no make up at all. Kame looked over at Jin who was staring at the girl especially hard, like he knew her or something, even though there was no hint of recognition flickering in her eyes. The other 4 boys gave a huge sigh and hoped that this was the one person they've been looking for.

Maki's POV

As the interview progressed, I felt myself getting more and more confident. This job really seemed like it could be mine. I waited for the next question, but this one really caught me off guard. "Do you live in Japan by yourself? Where's your family?" The one boy named Ueda asked. I could feel myself getting uncomfortable as I didn't know what to tell them. I had no intention of telling them the truth, and my sense of uncomfortableness was increasing as I realized this one guy named Akanishi kept staring at me.

Jin's POV

The moment she walked into the room I couldn't stop staring at her. I just knew she was the girl in Nagasaki that I fell in love with, uhh... I meant grew fond of, that's it. She didn't look the same though, she looked more mature, like she knew of the cruelty that the world brang. The moment Ueda asked the question, I could see her tense up. "Well, they live in America. I came to Japan alone" There was no doubt about it that she was lying, the other boys seem convinced but somehow I could tell that she was lying.  I didn't really care about that though, all I wanted to know was one question that I stupidly asked out loud. "Do you have a boyfriend?" She glared at me like it was none of my business and it really wasn't but I just had to know. Taguchi looked at me and whispered that her personal life wasn't really any of their business but I just ignored him. She seemed to think for a second before slowly nodding her head and telling me that he was in America. Obviously, she was lying again and I felt my heart raise at the fact that she was single. I asked for his name and she looked at me with a blank look. We kept staring at each other for at least a minute before she blushed and looked away. I loved how she blushed like a little innocent schoolgirl talking to her crush. "Ryu" was how she answered me.

Maki's POV

This Jin guy is really rude. What's it to him if I have a boyfriend or not? The truth is that of course I didn't. For all of the three years I've been thinking about the boy that I met in Nagasaki. I couldn't remember what he looked like, but the way he made my heart race and my cheeks heat up was something I could never forget. I lied to him and said that I did and his name was Ryu, which of course was a complete lie. Well, my brother was a boy and he was a friend as well as a brother but ya I was completely lying. Even after I answered, he kept staring at me until the rest of KAT-TUN interrupted our little staring match. "You're hired!! We'll have someone contact you with the details and when to move in and everything" I couldn't believe it. I jumped up in excitement and gave them each a big hug but completely ignoring JIn. He was totally rude. I bowed in thanks and turned to leave until this Jin guy asked one more question that completely stopped my heart."

"What about the boy you met from Nagasaki?Does he not exist anymore?" I froze.