Ch. 17 Obstacle

Meant to be?

HI!!! Welcome to the new chapter of my story! If things all work out correctly, next week's chapter will be the last chapter. More than 1000 views, very excited!! Just had to share that with everybody. I want to thank all you silent readers because it's becuase of you guys that my views keep increasing. But more importantly, big thanks to the people who suscribed and commented, it make me even more motivated to keep going!

Jin picked up his bouquet of flowers and headed to the place where he had quickly learned the directions by heart over the last month. A place where he went at least twice a day. A place where his most beloved one slept. “Jin” He turned around at the sound of his friend’s voice. “What is it Kame?” “Are you going to see Maki again?” There wasn’t a sound of reply but a nod as reply. “She wouldn’t want to see you like this; she didn’t save you just so you could be like this.” Kame sighed as he knew that there was no way to bring him out of his depression. It had already been a month and Jin barely said a word and he barely ate the entire time. Manager had given him a vacation until he could gather himself. Maki’s departure had broken all of them but it had hurt Jin the most. It hurt everybody to see him so helpless. “Tell her we miss her a lot.” Jin left.

When he got there, he went straight to where Maki slept, waiting for him every day. Jin opened the door and was greeted by the beeping of a machine that he grew all too familiar with. He placed the flowers in a vase and turned to her. Placing his hands over hers, he brought her hands to his lips. “Maki, it’s time to wake up. Aren’t you bored of sleeping so much? The doctor said that your wound is all healed up now, as soon as you wake up we can go home.” There wasn’t any reply but he expected none. During the operation, her heart had stopped beating for a while and the lack of blood and oxygen had put her in a coma. The doctors had told him that the chances of her waking up were slim, but Jin never stopped believing. “Please.” He begged her. “I need you here with me. There’s nothing  left for me, if you’re not here. You said that you would rather have me die first so that I wouldn’t have to know the pain of losing a loved one, but I’m not even close to that stage yet, so you have to wake up!” Jin grasped her hands tighter in his, willing her to wake up and tell him that everything was going to be fine.

After sitting there for another hour, he admitted defeat once more at the fact that she wasn’t going to wake up yet. “Maki, I have to go now but I’ll be back in a few hours. But I don’t know how long I can keep waiting. Would things be better if I joined you wherever you are right now? That way we can be together forever right?” What actually happened that day, there was no explanation. Maybe God took pity on him or maybe Maki’s parents saw how much they needed each other because they gave her back to him.

He was halfway out the door when the quickening beeping sounds of the machine measuring Maki’s heartbeat sped up rapidly. Jin ran back to her side and quickly pressed the help button with increasing urgency. “HELP! SOMEONE PLEASE HURRY UP AND HELP HER!!!” The doors to her room suddenly slammed open and nurses and doctors ran in, pushing Jin out. Jin stood by helplessly as he watched through a crack in the door the doctors and nurses desperately trying to save the woman he loved so much. He sunk down into a chair outside of her room and put his head into his hands. “Don’t worry Maki. If you can’t keep holding on then I’ll come over there to see you, so you won’t be lonely.” It would be another 2 hours before the doctors and nurses came out of her room.

“Akanishi-san,” Jin immediately stood up at the sound of the doctor’s voice. “What can only be described as a miracle has occurred. She’s awake. We don’t know what side effects she might have suffered from being unconscious for so long but—“Jin didn’t even bother hearing the rest. The moment he heard from the doctor that she was awake he had already rushed in to her room. Maki was propped up on her bed, surveying the room that she was in. “Hey.” Not another word could come out of because Jin had already swept her up in a bear hug. “I missed you so much. I just knew that you would wake up one day.” She gently pushed him away before looking him right in the eyes. His arms were wrapped securely around her waist, and Maki seemed to notice because she squirmed uncomfortably in his arms. “What is it, Maki?”

“Who-who are you?”

Jin’s POV

“What do you mean who am I? I’m your Jin. We were going to get married, don’t you remember?” she shook her head as to say no. This isn’t possible. I couldn’t say anything but just look at her in plain shock. How could this happen? “You’re kidding me right? We’ve been through so much. I’ve loved you as long as I can remember. It’s always been you. How can you not remember me?” I grabbed her hands but she flinched away from me. “Don’t worry; I’ll go find the doctor. He’ll bring you back. I promise.” I stood up quickly and ran to the door, but a sudden burst of laughing from Maki brought me to a standstill. She stood up and grabbed my hand, bringing me to her bed then sitting me down. I didn’t have the slightest idea what was going on. “That’ll teach you a lesson for sleeping with another girl and almost getting me killed because you chose to sleep with a psycho at that. Now how long have I been sleeping?” I didn’t even answer her; all I did was stare at her, literally dumbfounded. She waved her hand in front of my face. “Are you okay, Jin?” I grabbed her to me and swept her up in a big hug. This time, she tightly wrapped her arms around my waist and hugged me back just as tightly. “You remember everything?” “Ha-ha, I never forgot anything. Do you think that I would go through this much to be with you just so I could forget about you?” I leaned my chin on her head and breathed in her scent. This was the Maki I remembered.

“How long have I been sleeping?” her voice was muffled because her face was pressed tightly against my chest. I chuckled at how cute her voice sounded. “You’ve been sleeping for a month.” “A MONTH!?! HOLY CRAP! Have you guys been eating right? Have all the guys been eating right? How much work have I missed? What does the upcoming schedule look like?” “Maki, you need to stop worrying about other people so much and take care of yourself first. That’s how you end up getting hurt every time. And I can’t even protect you. You’re always the one taking all the burdens and not sharing them. Why can’t I protect you?” she placed her head on my chest and I immediately felt myself calming down. “You can’t protect me from everything. You have already saved me every way that a person can be saved.” “I was so close to losing you.” “I’m so sorry that you had worry over me so much.”

No one’s POV

Jin gave Maki his famous smirk and pushed her down onto her bed before crawling over her. “Well, there’s one thing that you can do to make it up for me.” “We’re in a hospital though.” The slightest hint of a blush lined her cheeks and Jin smiled at how adorable she was. “And I haven’t had a proper shower-“ Maki was cut off as Jin firmly pressed his lips to her. She automatically wrapped her legs around his waist and brought him even closer to her, if that was possible. He forcibly tore his lips away from her. “”Woman, you’re not playing fair now.” Jin growled. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.” She said playing innocent. “You’re not getting out of this room for at least another 2 hours.” “Well.” Maki said wrapping her arms around his neck. “We’ll see about that, won’t we?” Jin smiled and went down to connect their lips once more.

“Dude! Get off my sister!” Maki shoved Jin off her bed and he fell to the floor with a very painful thump. “Ryu!! How did you know I was here!?!” Maki ran up to him and tightly embraced her brother, who she hasn’t seen in over 2 years. “Hey, sis. I missed you so much.” She pulled away to take a good look at her brother. “How did you find out that I was in the hospital?” “I can’t believe you didn’t tell me you got stabbed by a psycho girl! Were you ever going to tell me? I had to call the place where you lived and asked what happened to you when I didn’t hear from you in a month.” Ryu scolded her. Maki looked down in shame as he kept scolding her. “You’re always like this! You lock everything up inside and think that you can take care of everything!” Jin finally managed to get up off the floor and stood next to Maki. “And YOU!” Jin flinched at the harshness of his future brother-in-law’s voice. “Who do you think you are to be straddling my sister like that? Do you have any idea what you did to her when you slept with that woman! How she would tell me everything would be fine night after night and I knew that it wasn’t. What it feels like to know that your sister is hurting and you couldn’t do anything but believe that she would be okay. Then you find out she’s getting married to the same man that broke her heart and to make matter much worse, his psycho ex-girlfriend comes and stabs her in the freaking stomach!! “Ryu breathed heavily catching his breath from the 10 minute rant he had just experienced. An awkward silence followed this when neither of them knew how to react. “Well…” Maki said finally breaking the silence. “Why don’t you guys get me out of here and then we can go home and have something to eat?” Jin frantically nodded and went to go get the procedures done when Ryu cut in front of him. “I’ll take care of it. She is MY sister.” He left the room without another word.

Maki sunk down onto her bed helplessly and looked towards Jin who looked utterly heartbroken. “Sorry, Ryu is a bit over protective over towards me but once he warms up to you, he’s the sweetest person alive.” He went towards Maki and held her hands in his, kneeling in front of her. “No, it’s my fault. I can’t even begin to think about how much hurt I have caused you. Your brother’s right.” Maki smiled and pressed her head to his gently. “It’s okay. It’s all in the past now. Don’t forget, we’re still going to get married no matter what happens. I’m definitely not letting you go.” Ryu chose that moment to walk in and disturb the two of them. “Let’s go.” His tone icy. The car ride was awkward, to say the very least. Ryu sat between the two of them, silently glaring at Jin the entire ride. When they finally got home, Maki was the first one to jump out of the car. “Maki!!” The air was knocked out of her as she was quickly engulfed in a 5 person hug. “We knew you would come back to us, we just knew it!!” Tat-chan exclaimed. “We were just waiting for you to come home!!” Junno screamed in utter delight. “Who is that?” Kame asked pointing to the man who was still silently glaring at Jin. “Oh, that’s my brother, Ryu. He came back to visit me.” “We see.” The 5 boys weren’t oblivious to the tense atmosphere that was between the two of them. “Well, why don’t we all head inside?” The 5 boys tripping over themselves to help Maki into the house, leaving the two of them still were standing outside. Once they were in the house the 5 boys asked Maki whether they needed to send someone to get the two of them. “No.” she said. “They’ll be fine.”

Jin’s POV

We were still standing out there, looking at each other, more like him glaring at me the entire time. “Well, should we start heading in?” I stuttered. Even though this kid was like at least 5 years younger than me, he made me really nervous. “No.” I looked at him in surprise. “Can we go sit down and talk?” I nodded and we went to a nearby park bench, sitting down. He didn’t say anything and neither did I, each just waiting for the other to speak. “There’s no way to get you and my sister to separate is there?” “Hell, no!” Ryu looked towards the sky, thinking. “I and my sister are 7 years apart. Our parents died when she was 16. I still remember how she hugged me tightly to her, comforting me. Shortly after that, she dropped out of school to take care of me. For a while, we lived together before she sent me to America. I watched her work jobs that no normal 16 year old girl should ever do. I have watched as she came home exhausted from work but still managing to smile at me. When she decided to sent me to America, I knew that she did it for me. She knew that I wouldn’t have any future following her around, working jobs here and there. When I got there I studied as hard as I could, hoping to give my sister a good life. I was so happy when I heard that she had fallen in love with who she said to be an amazing guy. I thought that things had finally begun to get better for her. So, could you imagine my anger when she told me what had happened?” I looked down in shame, but Ryu didn’t seem to notice because he kept going. “I remember hearing her comforting me instead, continuously telling me that everything was going to just be fine. She was always there for me, supporting my every move. When things weren’t good, she was there to cheer me on. When something good happened, she was always the first one there to congratulate me. So now, I want to be there to congratulate her and cheer her on. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still mad at you for what you did to her, but I trust that my sister can make the right decision for her.”

“Does that mean..?” he stood up and stuck out his hand towards me. “I’m leaving my sister in your hands, please take good care of her.” Ignoring his hand, I hugged him to me, thanking him the entire time. “I’ll make sure that I treat you sister good.” “Yah, yah.” He said awkwardly patting my back. “Come on, let’s get back before my sister thinks we killed each other. We still have a wedding to plan.” 

I realized that when I wrote the line "I have watched her work jobs no normal 16 year old girl should ever do." sounded like it could easily be misinterpreted, so I'm here to tell you guys that it's not like that if you guys are thinking like a little on the not right side. By that, I simply meant she had worked jobs that normally people twice her age wouldnt have the physical and psychological mentality to do. Hope you liked the chapter!! Comments are appreciated!!