Changes (Part I)

It's Just A Phase

January 16, 2014

 

Yixing was currently lost in thought cleaning up his home for his pretentious mother-in-law. She had a habit of always dropping by just to criticize Yixing on everything he says or does, there was no possible way for him to ever please this woman. It was never a secret that Kim EunMi thought her son was too good for Yixing, it even got to the point where Joonmyeon was apprehensive on inviting her to their wedding. In deep fear that she would retaliate against the marriage and embarrass her son. Luckily they didn't have to worry about that at all when she didn't even show up.

With a sigh of relief, Yixing  finally finished sweeping the kitchen and pulling out their expensive plates and utensils just to impress the old woman. Once the food was placed into the oven Yixing decided that the upstairs needed a good cleaning as well. The first door he opened was his shared bedroom was Joonmyeon and he was impressed that his naturally messy husband cleaned up the bedroom before he went grocery shopping with Jongdae. The next door he opened was Jongdae's and honestly wasn't surprised when he saw the massive mess. Clothes were on the floor, the bed wasn't even made and worse of all there was a strange smell of an old, possibly rotting tuna fish sand which that was coming from under the bed. Yixing wasn't even sure where to begin but he needed much more than a vacuum to clean up this room. As much as he would hate to admit this, he would miss cleaning up Jongdae's room. In a few months the boy would off to college and doing his own thing, which worried Yixing but he knew Jongdae would be able to take care of himself.

Almost an hour later, the clothes were hung up in their respective places while the dirty clothes were in the washer downstairs. The suspicious stains on the carpet were almost invisible now and that god forsaken smell had disappeared. Everything was perfect and Yixing was proud of his accomplishments for the day. Stretching his arms and legs he proceeded to leave the boy's bedroom but he noticed something in the corner of his eye. Something he never noticed before but raised his suspicion even more, there was black box on his dresser. Not just any regular small black box he'd seen one of there before and dreaded opening it. He knew he should respect Jongdae's privacy but his curiosity was killing him. Walking over to the dresser he grabbed the box and snapped it open rather quickly. As expected his eyes nearly fell out of head and his jaw dropped. Every fiber of his body was telling him to put it back and just leave yet he couldn't stop staring. The object's luster was hurting his eyes and a million questions were running through his mind.

Why would Jongdae have this?

How did he even get money to afford this?

So caught up in his thoughts Yixing didn't even hear the bedroom door open and the owner walk in.

"What are you doing?"

Obviously shaken from the sudden voice, Yixing closed the box and placed in back on the dresser before turning around. 

"Nothing I was just cleaning up. You know  your grandma is coming over and how she is about having a clean house."

"Yeah but what were you looking at."

"Nothing Jongdae let's just go downstairs and help you father finish cooking."

Yixing moved from in front the dresser and began to walk out the bedroom but Jongdae's voice stopped him.

"It's not what you think."

"What?"

"I'm not stupid Yixing but it's not what you think."

"Jongdae you bought an wedding ring what am I suppose to think?"

"It seemed like the right thing to do."

"Why you're very young and marriage should be the last thing on your mind right now. I know you think you love this girlfriend of yours but-"

"You don't understand."

"Then tell why you were planning on marrying this girl? You just got excepted into that University and you have your whole life ahead of you and you'll have time to reconsider this."

Jongdae looked up at his step-father, eyes filling up with tears and he tried to rub his eyes to stop the tears from falling. He waited a while before he spoke up again and sat down on his neatly folded bed.

"She's pregnant and I have to take care of her."

Out of all the possibilities in the world he didn't expect those words to come out of his mouth. He expected an 'I love her' or anything along those lines but not this. He sat down on the bed and hugged his step son tightly and wiping away the tears that were falling down his face at full speed. It was hard to believe that this was the same Jongdae that wouldn't even look him in the eye or want to be in the same room as him. Now he was comfortably crying on his chest like they've known each other for years.

"Jongdae it's going to be alright I'll help you get through this I promise."