The Confession

Back For You

It was a fine Saturday evening. While browsing the web, Baekhyun receive an email notification. It was an invitation for his high school reunion. He always knew that this day would come but never looked forward to it. He has his reasons why he didn’t want to attend this “silly” reunion. First of all, he’s not that popular back in high school, he had some friends yes, but he lost contact with all of them now. Well, excluding Kyungsoo his ultimate best friend.  Secondly, he doesn’t see the significant importance of meeting his classmates again after all these years just to show off what each other had become. And last but not the least, Baekhyun sighs, he’s not ready to meet Chanyeol – again. No. Not yet.

 

~

“So are you coming?” Kyungsoo asked. He invited Baekhyun to coffee so he can interrogate him about whether Baekhyun is planning to attend their upcoming reunion or not.

“No.” Baekhyun answered without hesitation. “It’s a waste of time.”

“Why not Baek? Aren’t you curious a bit to see what our classmates had become?” Kyungsoo nagged half shouting at his best friend.

“Not really. And can you please lower your volume. Were in a freaking café Kyung, can we please enjoy the peaceful surrounding.” snapped the older of the two.

“You’re impossible. No wonder you didn’t made a lot of friends back in high school.” Kyungsoo said almost in whisper like tone.

“Hey, that’s so rude besides I don’t like people anyways.” Baekhyun argued.

Neither said anything for a while. Both turned their attention to their respective drinks. Kyungsoo broke the silence off when he tried to persuade his best friend to come once more.

 “—but what about Chanyeol, Baek? Don’t you want to see him again? See if he’s doing well?”

Baekhyun knew sooner or later, Kyungsoo would drop this subject. His best friend knew everything that had happened between him and Chanyeol. He didn’t want to answer it but he knew Kyungsoo very well, he won’t stop until he gets his answers. He gave the younger a friendly smile and said;

“What for Kyung? It’s been eight years since we last saw each other. Also, there’s no reason for me to go and see what he’d become. I’m sure Chanyeol’s doing fine besides there’s no assurance that he’ll come.”

“What about the card Baek? Don’t you w—“

“Let’s not talk about it anymore Kyungsoo. It’s been long forgotten. What’s past is past. Let’s move on.” Baekhyun hushed his best friend. He’s really not comfortable talking about the past especially when it involves Chanyeol.

“You’re right. I’m sorry for bringing Chanyeol up. I just really want you to go to the reunion. Please think about it.” Kyungsoo begged.

“It’s okay Kyung. No need to apologize. About the reunion, alright, I’ll think about it.” Baekhyun smiled sheepishly. He glanced at his wristwatch and gasped in disbelief. “Oh, is that the time already? . I need to go now Kyung. My publisher wants to discuss things about my new soon-to-be published book. I’ll see you around.”

”Just please think about it.” Kyungsoo begged once more. Baekhyun gave him a simple nod and finally made his way through the exit door.

~

Later that night, Baekhyun finds it impossible to sleep. He keeps thinking about the conversation he had with Kyungsoo earlier. That one regarding Chanyeol. He knew deep down that what he’d told his best friend wasn’t completely true. Yes, he’s more than sure than Chanyeol is doing well but about that part of not wanting to see him again, that’s full bull. He wanted to see Chanyeol again. He wanted to know if he still wears that weird attractive smile of his. He wanted to know how Chanyeol look after all these years. He wanted to know if Chanyeol changed at all. He wanted to know, he’s just not ready.

Chanyeol was Baekhyun’s other best friend besides Kyungsoo back in high school. He didn’t even know how he became friends with him because unlike him, Chanyeol is quite popular. He’s tall, handsome, athletic and a genius. In short, he’s perfect.

Baekhyun still clearly remember the day he confessed to Chanyeol.  He can’t help but laugh whenever he recalls that tragic day.

 

[8 Years Ago]

 

“Uhmm. He~ Hello Chanyeol.” Baekhyun greets the tall guy nervously.

“Hey Baekhyun what’s up? Need something? Notes, Book, or –”

“Yeol, can I talk to you in private?” the smaller guy interrupts.

“Sure.”

The two guys went and find a quiet place for them to talk. They ended up at their school rooftop.

 “What do you want to talk about Bacon? I’m sure it’s something important because you want to talk in private.” Chanyeol teases.

“Stop calling me that giant.” Baekhyun took a deep breath. “Okay, the thing is, Chanyeol, I know it’s kind of weird but were graduating in a week so you know I can’t help it so here I am in front you because I’ve got something to—“

“Bacon, stop. You’re mumbling non-sense. Just get to the point. It’s okay.” Chanyeol smiled reassuringly.

“I like you Chanyeol.” Baekhyun blurted out in a heartbeat. “I don’t know why it’s just sort of happened.”

Baekhyun can see the mental shock Chanyeol is having at the moment. “! I messed up!” He virtually punched himself. The atmosphere between them became awkward and Baekhyun’s knees start to wobble. After a few moments, finally, Chanyeol spoke.

“Baekhyun, I’m not sure.” The tall guy retreated. “I’ll think about it. I’ll give you my answer on our graduation day.”

With that, Chanyeol left.

 Excluding the fact that Chanyeol called him by his name, he also said those words with no emotions. It’s so cold. Baekhyun expected it already. Why would Chanyeol even bother to entertain his feelings if they’ll be separating ways in a week? 

*

“I’ll give you my answer on our graduation day” This particular sentence keeps repeating on Baekhyun’s head almost every day. He knew that Chanyeol already dumped him but he still somehow hope that the giant will return his feelings.

 “Hey Minseok, have you seen Chanyeol?” asked Baekhyun as he sits at their cafeteria table.

“No.” the chubby face boy answered. “Ask Kyung.” Baekhyun forward his attention to his eating friend.

“He’s absent since Monday, can’t blame him though. There’s nothing to do here anymore. In two days we’ll be graduating.” Kyungsoo shrugged.

“I’ve got something to tell you guys. Come a little closer.” Baekhyun ordered.

He told them everything that had happened. Kyungsoo’s eyes widen a size of a golf ball. Minseok was equally strut as well.

“Oh. My. Gosh. Byun Baekhyun you did not.” Kyungsoo said in disbelief. “Tell me it’s a joke. Please.”

“It’s not a joke Kyung. I’ve done it for real.” Baekhyun sighed. “I think that’s the reason he’s not coming at school. Maybe he’s avoiding me.”

“I’m sorry Baekhyun. But still he told you he’s going to answer on our graduation day. So don’t feel bad.” Minseok butts in.

“I know but I’m not getting my hopes up. Baekhyun hugged his two friends. “In that way I can easily move on.”

*

It’s my graduation day. After three years of high school, finally I can move on to college. I’ve been looking forward to this day not only because of its significant value but also I want to hear Chanyeol’s answer. Well, regardless of his answer, I’d still make this day memorable.

Baekhyun and his family arrived at the graduation venue a little early as per his personal request. He wanted to get Chanyeol’s answer first then move on with his life. But luck is not on his side today. The ceremony ended without even a slightest sight of Chanyeol. “Why?” he asked himself.

While bidding goodbye to his friends, Baekhyun was approached by a stranger and gave him a card. It’s obviously a congratulatory card.  He’s about to ask why he’s giving him the card but the stranger already took off. He opens it and finds out that it was from Chanyeol. He somewhat smile after seeing the card’s content. “At least he kept his words.”

 

[Present Day]

 

Baekhyun reached out to his bedside drawer. He took out a little box from it. He carefully unsealed the box and there it was the card from Chanyeol 8 years ago. He opens it and smiled.

 

 

 


A/N: Ha! I don’t have any idea where this story is going. I have a plot planned in my head but I know it will eventually change. Okay. I know it’s kind of creepy keeping a Card you receive from someone a long time ago. But maybe the card has a sentimental value to Baekhyun. Hmmm. I’ll update next week. :) 

 

P.S. Don't mind the Chapter's Titles. Its random :))