Chapter 34

Like Water

Chapter 34

 

It was the morning of the last day of the trip and after breakfast, all of you went into your respective rooms to pack your bags and clean up the place.

 

“I can’t believe a whole week passed just like that! I really wished we could have spent a longer time here.” Yeseo whined as she started to fold her clothes neatly into her pink duffel bag.

 

You smiled and continued packing. You had to admit, you were just starting to enjoy yourself in the villa. That’s because it’s so close to the beach. Even though you almost drowned a few days ago, you had been diligently going back to the sea for a quick dip. That was of course, under close supervision from Yeseo or anyone else in the villa. They were still so worried that the same thing might happen to you.

 

Just as the both of you had finished packing and have checked all the drawers in case of anything left behind, there was a loud knock on the door and Baekhyun’s voice could be heard from the other side.

 

“Come on, slow pokes! We’re going to miss the bus If the two of you take another hour to pack!”

 

“We’re coming, we’re coming! …” Yeseo muttered under her breath. You chuckled and slung your bag over your shoulders.

 

“It seems like the two of you had gotten closer during this trip.” You smirked.

 

“Who? Me and that cocky bastard? Nah-uh.” Yeseo protested and went to the mirror to check her reflection one last time.

 

You raised your eyebrows and folded your arms. “Oh really? The way I see it, he has a crush on you. The two of you looked so cute together!” You teased.

 

Yeseo gawked at you and shook her head vigorously. “I am so offended by your words Hae Ra! Me and him? Look cute together?! Did the Busan air get into your head? Or did the sea water flood your brain? Don’t be silly. Besides, of all people, I believe Kyungsoo and I are compatible together.” She giggled.

 

You rolled your eyes and made your way towards the door. “Yeah, yeah. You and your Prince Charming.” You shook your head. Yeseo giggled and followed you out of the room.

 

The boys were all seated in the living room in front of the television. As soon as Baekhyun saw sight of us, he smirked and shook his head. “It’s about time you ladies. What did you guys pack? The whole of Busan—“

 

Right before he could finish his sentence, Yeseo went behind him and hit the back of his head.

 

“You piece of — that hurts! You’re so going to pay for this!” He rubbed the sore area with his hand and Yeseo just smirked. “Serves you right, .”

 

Seeing that all of you were done packing and were ready to go, Kyungsoo turned off the television and stood up.

 

“Well, I guess this concludes our fun MT together. I hope that all of you had enjoyed your stay in my villa of course.” He smiled.

 

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. Yeseo nodded with enthusiasm. “We had the best week ever! Thank you for letting us stay here Kyungsoo.” She said shyly.

 

Satisfied with the response, he clasped his hands together and ‘officially’ ended the outing. After that, the rest of you made your way out of the villa to catch the next bus to Seoul. As you were about to leave, Kyungsoo tapped your shoulder. You turned around and saw that he was giving you a confused look.

 

“Are you forgetting something?” he said.

 

You furrowed your eyebrows together as you thought hard.

 

I’m sure I’ve checked all the drawers. I only brought one bag with me. I’ve already packed all my toiletries…what the hell am I forgetting?

 

You shrugged and shook your head. “Nope. I’m sure I’ve got everything. I didn’t bring much anyway.” You were about to turn and leave again when he gently grabbed your arm. Surprised by his action, your suddenly reflex caused you to brush his hand away aggressively.

 

“What is it?” You asked.

 

“I’m supposed to send you home.”

 

“Excuse me?” You stared at him. The others noticed that the both of you were still talking by the entrance of the villa, had stopped walking and were observing the both of you. You knew that they were waiting for you so you folded your arms as you faced Kyungsoo. “I’m good with taking the bus to Seoul. Thank you for the offer though.” You said.

 

“I don’t think so. It was your mother’s request. She wanted me to send you home. Well, not exactly home. We’re going to my place straight away.” He explained to you.

 

You gawked. Noticing that the two of you were having a serious discussion about something, Chanyeol came closer. “Is there a problem?” He eyed Kyungsoo as he stood protectively beside you.

 

Kyungsoo clicked his tongue in annoyance as he looked at Chanyeol. “This has got nothing to you with you Ronald MacDonald okay? So I suggest you and the others make your way to the main road soon before you miss your bus. Hae Ra is coming with me.” He grabbed your hand and was about to pull you away when you felt your other hand being pulled. You looked back and noticed Chanyeol hand his grip firmly around your hand.

 

Sensing the tense atmosphere, Yeseo and Baekhyun rushed over to your side. “What’s going on? Are the three of you fighting?” Baekhyun said but Chanyeol and Kyungsoo ignored him and just continued to shoot daggers at each other with their glare.

 

You looked towards Yeseo and she was clasping her hands together. From the way she was looking at you, you knew that she didn’t want Chanyeol and Kyungsoo to start a fight. To be exact, you knew she didn’t want anything to happen to Kyungsoo. You then realized what you had to do to end the staring contest between the both of them.

 

Gently, you brushed away Chanyeol’s grip. He was taken aback by your actions and it was so obvious that he was hurt. You felt so sorry but you knew that if you didn’t agree to follow Kyungsoo home, that fight would have no end. Besides, it was your mother’s instructions. It was the right thing to do.

 

“I’ll be going home with Kyungsoo. You guys can go ahead.” You said to the others. Yeseo nodded and gave you a light hug.

 

“Thank you for doing this Hae Ra. I just didn’t want anything to happen—“

 

“It’s not my choice, it’s my mother’s. And don’t worry, I promised to help you get closer to him remember? This is my chance.” You whispered in her ear.

 

The both of you broke the hug and Yeseo looked touched. You glanced towards Chanyeol but he looked away. You sighed and made your way towards the car that was waiting for you and Kyungsoo.

 

“I’m sorry.” You muttered under your breath, hoping that Chanyeol would hear you, but to no avail. Kyungsoo who was still annoyed by what happened, only clenched his jaw and walked back beside you.

 

Beakhyun sighed and let out a nervous laughter. “Well, that was a…dramatic ending to this trip. Come on guys, I don’t want us to miss our bus and have to hang around Princess over here.” He teased Yeseo which had resulted in him getting hit on the head by her again.

The both of them bickered while making their way towards the main road where the limo was waiting to send them to the main road, completely forgetting that Chanyeol was still rooted to the ground, just staring at you and Kyungsoo, walking side by side and entering the car together before it drove off, getting further and further away from him.

 

 

In the car, the both of you sat quietly, the atmosphere was extremely awkward. Partly was because of what happened earlier and also partly because you were not in the mood for any talking. The only thing that was occupying your mind was Chanyeol. The look that he had on his face was making your heart ache somehow. Well, of course, it was because that was the second time you ‘ditched’ him for Kyungsoo.

 

Unable to take the silence, Kyungsoo spoke.

 

“Why do you think your mother asked you to come over?” He tried some light conversation.

 

“How would I know? I was clueless about all of this in first place. She didn’t even tell me anything.” You said, your gaze still fixed outside the window.

 

Kyungsoo sighed and he ran his hand through his hair. “Listen, I don’t get why you’re being to sulky right now but I’m trying to have a normal conversation with you. If you could just—“

 

“You don’t think I’d want to have a normal conversation with you too?” You snapped back, glaring at him.

 

He shrugged. “How are you going to if you’re always putting on a sour face every time I try to talk to you?”

 

You scoffed and folded your arms. “Well, let’s see, the fact that you’re always fighting with Chanyeol, and I’d have to be there to mediate the both of you. Come on, the both of you are young adults. I’m sick and tired of it all.”

 

“Well, it’s not my fault he was being such a total pain in the . Who is he anyway? Why is he in the same school as us? Can he even afford it? He’s just an average citizen, working part-time in a stupid café. He should’ve just gone to some neighborhood school and all this would be solved.” He smirked.

 

Right then, you swore you felt like slapping some sense into him. How could he? How could he say that about Chanyeol?

 

“You don’t even know him!” You raised your voice. Surprised by your reaction, Kyungsoo felt offended and a little jealousy as to how you were defending Chanyeol.

 

“Oh and you think you know that jackass? Tell me, what are his hobbies?” He challenged you.

 

“I….I…do—“ You stuttered. Kyungsoo was right. You didn’t really know much of Chanyeol except of his family. You didn’t know what were his likes and dislikes. You didn’t know where he lived or what color he liked. Heck, you didn’t even know what his favorite food was.

 

Seeing how you were desperately trying to think of something, Kyungsoo smirked. “Didn’t think so. You never were interested in being friends with him were you? To you, he was just a lonely and desperate puppy looking for attention. Something you could just play with but when you’re bored of it, you just toss it away.”

 

“You’re wrong. He’s not a play thing. He’s my…my…”

 

Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows. “You’re what?”

 

“He’s my friend. Okay? And you have no right to talk about him like that in front of me.”

 

Kyungsoo scoffed, unsatisfied with your answer.

 

“That doesn’t change the fact that he’s just an average citizen—“

 

“You’re wrong again. You don’t know him or his family. If you knew, you wouldn’t even dare to open that dirty mouth of yours.” You glared at him.

 

“Really? Who is he then? Who are his parents? Come on, surprise me.”

 

You weren’t sure if you were even allowed to disclose such information, especially to Kyungsoo. Seeing how Chanyeol didn’t really show off about his family background, and was even working part-time in a café, made it seem as though he didn’t want anyone to know. But you didn’t want to lose to Kyungsoo. The way he was mocking you with his smirk, you felt like slapping it off his face. Just then, the partition between the both of you and the driver in front was rolled down.

 

“We’ve reached young masters.” The driver announced and the door beside you opened, revealing Mr. Lee, smiling dearly at you. “Welcome back Young Master. I hope you enjoyed your week.”

 

You nodded to Mr. Lee and turned back to face Kyungsoo who was still waiting for you reply. “I really thought you were a nice guy Kyungsoo. I guess I was wrong. Talk to me when you’ve learned to show a little respect for others, despite their family background.” You hissed before getting out of the car.

 

Mr. Lee noticed the tense atmosphere as you went out from the car. “Is everything okay Young Master? Did the both of you quarrel?”

 

You shook your head and proceeded to walk towards the house. “No. Kyungsoo’s just being an arrogant brat.” You said and left.

 

Mr. Lee sighed and looked into the window of the car where Kyungsoo was still seated inside. Although the window was tinted, he could still make out Kyungsoo’s face. His face was somewhat sullen and he was just staring straight ahead. It was obvious that the two of you just had a fight. Mr. Lee shook his head and hurriedly followed behind you into the Do family’s house.