Chapter 29

Like Water

Chapter 29

 

 

“The girls will share a room. I have specially prepared the room to both your liking, adding a little of that girly touch for the both of you.” Kyungsoo said proudly and smiled towards you and Yeseo.

 

Yeseo of course was overjoyed while you just sighed and rolled your eyes. “Gee, thanks.” You said sarcastically.

 

Kyungsoo ignored your remark and turned towards the two guys. “As for the both of you, you’ll find your room at the other end of the hall. I didn’t really do much to it since I don’t really know what your tastes are like but feel free to do whatever you want with that room.”

 

Baekhyun smiled and bowed towards Kyungsoo. “Yes sir! It’s an honor to share a room with you sir! Us guys are gonna bond so tight after this trip—“

 

“I’m sorry what?” Kyungsoo looked towards Baekhyun and placed his finger in his ear, wiggling it as though his ears were blocked.

 

“Uh…we’re sharing a room right?” Baekhyun said hesitantly.

 

Kyungsoo just chuckled and shook his head. “Oh no, you’ve got it all wrong. You and Ronald MacD over here are sharing rooms. I have my own suite at the other end of the building. I’m not used to sharing rooms with people so please understand.” He said and you rolled your eyes at his cockiness.

 

“Uh…okay…” Baekhyun said. You could tell that he too was getting a little bit tired with the way Kyungsoo was behaving.

 

Chanyeol grabbed his bags and started walking towards the room. Baekhyun followed suit. Yeseo went to the room too, saying she needed to wash up first before dinner. You were about to leave as well when you noticed Kyungsoo eyeing you.

 

“Can I help you Mr. Cocky-Jerk?” You said flatly.

 

“Ouch. What was that for?” He said, and he looked genuinely hurt. It was as though he didn’t realize what he was doing all along.

 

“Listen, I don’t know what’s going on here but if you just agreed to this whole thing just so that you could show off your wealth or whatever, then I suggest you to just stop. It’s annoying and it makes you look like a douche.” You told him before leaving him dumbfounded and alone in the dark hallway.

 

“I was just trying to impress you…” He mumbled before making his way to his own room.

 

 

You closed the door behind you with a heavy sigh and you plopped onto the nearest bed. You could hear water running so you guessed that Yeseo was still in the shower. You stared at the ceiling. Even the ceiling was painted in a light shade of pastel pink. Now that you noticed, the whole room was in different shades of pink. Even the bed sheets you were lying on.

 

I have specially prepared the room to both your liking, adding a little of that girly touch for the both of you.

 

How old does he think we are? Twelve?

 

You rolled your eyes. At that moment the door to the bathroom opened and the smell of soap and shampoo filled the room. You turned your head and saw Yeseo coming out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her body and hair. As usual, you envied her natural beauty.

 

“Isn’t the room nice? It’s so pretty! And I love pink! Do you think he purposely decorated it in pink because he knows?” Yeseo giggled at the thought of it.

 

All you could do was just shrug and prepared to take a shower. Honestly, you were pretty tired and hungry. You just wanted to have some nice dinner and go to bed. After the warm shower, you put on a plain shirt and your pajama shorts. Yeseo had already left when you finished bathing. ‘I’m gonna see what Kyungsoo is up to’ she said.

 

Honestly, you didn’t know what her best friend sees in him. He’s rude, cocky, such a showoff, and not to mention bipolar. Maybe it was because Yeseo knew him longer than you did when they were both studying in the States but it’s been half a year that you’ve spent going to and fro school with him. Nothing about him appealed to you.

 

Okay maybe the incident where he brought you to that swimming complex was sweet but other than that, he just gets on your nerves. Just when you were busy drying your hair, your heard a light knock on your door.

 

She’s back already? That was fast…And why did she have to knock on the door?

 

“Come in,” you called and continued to dry your hair in front of the mirror. “You’re back so soon. Is dinner ready yet?”

 

“Uh…no. And nice pants. Never seen that one before. Are they new?”

 

You stopped what you were doing when you heard that familiar deep voice. You turned around slowly, your wet hair still sticking against your face, and saw Chanyeol casually leaning against the door with his arms crossed over his chest. His hair seemed a little damp too from taking a shower and you could smell the scent of his shampoo.

 

You clicked your tongue and rolled your eyes. “Ha. Ha. Very funny. What are you doing in my room?”

 

You tried to act normal but deep inside you felt so embarrassed you thought you were going to have a panic attack. You didn’t know why you were feeling so in the first place. He saw you with your pajamas and bed hair before. Why are you blushing like a stupid tomato over some pajama shorts? You heard him come into the room and he sat on one of the beds in the room; and it just had to be your bed. You tried to calm yourself as you brushed your hair and looked straight in the mirror, your back facing him.

 

“I’m bored. Dinner’s not ready in another hour and Kyungsoo’s off with your friend and Baekhyun, on a tour around this stupid place.” He said as he stared emptily at the ceiling of the room. “Wow, he really took the effort to decorate your room huh? I mean, look at all this pink. It looks like a Barbie house or something. I didn’t know you liked this kind of thing.” He smirked as he turned to face you.

 

Your hair was already dried and you didn’t know what else you wanted to do. It was just you and Chanyeol in that big villa, no, in that room and he was talking about how pink the room was? That moment was more awkward than the time you fell on stage and ripped your skirt during your elementary school graduation.

 

“Shut up. I didn’t say I like it.” You said softly and sat awkwardly on the chair.

 

Chanyeol could tell the atmosphere was getting a little awkward too and when he realized the two of you were the only ones in the room, he started to get nervous. He fidgeted on the bed, eyes darting around the room in hopes to find something the both of you can talk about without being so awkward. Since when had it been so awkward when it was just the two of you anyway? Everything was fine when the both of you were alone together on the rooftop eating lunch at school. But why was he getting so nervous then?

 

Just then, his gaze fell outside the window and he could see the sun that was setting. It was slowly disappearing behind the horizon of the sea. Just then, an idea popped in his head and he smiled widely at you.

 

“Wanna take a walk?” He grinned.

 

The both of you were walking bare foot on the soft sand, the wind blowing gently against you and the salty air lingered around you. If it was not for the shower you had taken earlier, you would’ve jumped into the inviting sea in a heartbeat. All you could do then was to just enjoy the view and the feel of the sand. You already made plans in your head to go for a swim tomorrow so you’d just have to wait until then.

 

The wind seemed to have picked up quite a bit and you were feeling a little chilly with just your shirt and shorts. The hair on your arms and thighs were already starting to stand from the cold, so you hugged yourself to keep yourself warm. Chanyeol saw what you were doing and took off his jacket before wrapping it around you. Because he was big, his jacket managed to cover even your thighs. And the warmth from his body was still on the jacket and it helped you to keep warm.

 

“Thanks.” You mumbled.

 

He smiled and just kept walking beside you. “You should've changed into something warm before heading out you know. Summer might be the warmest season but at night, it’s still super chilly.” He said and you just nodded.

 

The both of you found a log to sit on and watched as the sun sets, a few thin strips of clouds on the horizon turned shimmering gold. Again, the atmosphere became awkward again as the both of you sat quietly, not knowing what to talk about. Just then, he opened his mouth to say something.

 

“Thanks for agreeing to this.” He said softly.

 

“Why thank me?”

 

“I know how much you didn’t want to leave the house during summer vacation and the fact that I kept bugging you about it and sorta forced you to come….”

 

“I wanted to come.” You told him.

 

He raised his eyebrows, surprised by what you had said.

 

“Okay, I came because there’s something I needed to do. And also partly because I thought maybe it was time for a change.” You shrugged and started to dig a hole in the sand with your toes.

 

“There’s something you needed to do?”

 

“That’s not important.”

 

You couldn’t tell him about Yeseo’s big crush on Kyungsoo. She made you swear to not tell anyone about it. You didn’t think it was such a big deal though. But still, she’s your best friend and you made a promise to her. Chanyeol was curious as to what you were supposed to do but figured that it was not such a big deal either and shrugged it off.

 

“Hey, since you agreed to come spend your vacation here with us, you can ask me another question.” He said gleefully. “Think of it as a token of appreciation for leaving your house during the vacation.” He said proudly.

 

You chuckled and shook your head. Now that he had mentioned it, there were a few more questions you wanted to ask him. It mostly had to do with his family though but you knew that if you brought it up he’d get all gloomy and depressed so you decided to save that question for another time.

 

“Do you live alone right now?” You just asked the first random questioned that popped into your head then.

 

He chuckled at your question as he expected you to ask about his family. He shook his head and then nodded.

 

“Yeah, I live alone.”

 

“Do you get lonely?”

 

“Hmm, I do, once in a while. And sometimes I sleep over at Baek’s. But it’s alright I mean, nowadays I just go home to sleep since I’m out of the house most of the time because of school and work so…”

 

You nodded. You didn’t know how else to continue the conversation when Chanyeol suddenly said something that made you stiffen.

 

“Listen, about the other day at the amusement park…”

 

, , . Is he going to talk about what happened there?

 

“What about it?” You tried to act casual, hoping he wouldn’t sense your nervousness.

 

He opened his mouth to say something but hesitated for a while before shaking his head and running his hand through his hair. “Nothing, I uh…forgot what I wanted to say…” He chuckled.

 

“Oh, I see.”

 

You had to admit, even though you didn’t want to remember what happened on that day, you were disappointed he didn’t want to bring it up too. You clearly heard him confess to you. ‘I think I like you…’ Well okay, that was kind of a confession but it was the first time someone ever did confess to you. You didn’t know how to feel, you didn’t know what to think or say. You really wanted to talk to him about it and sort your feelings out because it was driving you crazy on the inside. Just then, the both of you heard Baekhyun’s voice from a distance.

 

“Hey, you two! Dinner’s ready! You guys better come inside or we’ll start without you!” He shouted before going back inside the villa.

 

The both of you stood up and brushed off the sand from your pants. The two of you didn’t even say anything while walking back into the villa. Things had gotten awkward again. Back inside the villa, in the dining room, everyone was already seated and had started to dig in. Kyungsoo was seated at one end of the table, and Yeseo of course, was seated beside him. Baekhyun was at his other side and the both of them were talking, well Kyungsoo was the one doing most of the talking while Baekhyun was busy inhaling the food in front of him. Chanyeol sat beside Baekhyun while you sat beside Yeseo.

 

“Where have you two lovebirds been?” Yeseo teased and Kyungsoo choked on his food. He hit his fist against his chest to stop himself from choking before shooting his gaze towards you and Chanyeol. Baekhyun and Yeseo were also giving each other looks.

 

“Don’t sprout nonsense, we’re not lovebirds.” You told your best friend and slapped her arm.

 

Chanyeol chuckled and shook his head. “Yeah we’re not lovers. Besides she’s not my type. Too…boring.”

 

“Ooohhhh…” Baekhyun teased and started slapping Chanyeol’s shoulder while the both of them started laughing.

 

You looked at Chanyeol, suddenly feeling hurt. Why? You didn’t know. Maybe it was because you clearly heard him say he liked you when the both of you were in the ferris wheel at the amusement park.

 

Was that all a lie then? Was he just screwing around with my feelings? Wait…why am I feeling so pissed off about this? I don’t like him. Why should I care? Stupid jerk. He's not my type either.

 

You wiped your mouth with the napkin and stood up. “I’m tired, I’m going to sleep first, goodnight.” You said in a flat tone. You didn’t know why but tears were threatening to fall from your eyes and before they could, you quickly turned and briskly walked away from the dining room.

 

The whole place was quiet. Baekhyun and Chanyeol stopped laughing. Yeseo was looking back and forth between you and Baekhyun. Chanyeol just stared at your small back. Kyungsoo sighed and shook his head before looking towards Chanyeol.

 

“Now look what you did Ronald MacD.” He said before getting up to leave as well.