Chapter 12

Like Water

Chapter 12

 

 

The last time you heard about the Park family was that they were all in China. You heard from your mother that there were rumors in the business industry that Mr Park, the CEO of the company was sick and that he could only be treated by one of the best doctors in China. And right now, they were in the process of selecting the heir.

 

And he has a brother? But he looks nothing like him. An adopted son maybe? But if his family is in China, why is he still here? Wait, why am I so interested in all this?

 

He shoved his wallet back into his uniform and smiled proudly. You still hadn’t been able to process everything yet. How is he the heir of Park Finance? Chanyeol shook his head and chuckled.

 

“I’m guessing you’re still wondering how I’m the heir huh? Well, don’t be so surprised. I’m not planning on being the heir.” He said and you noticed how his facial expression seemed to have changed.

 

He looked out of the window and brought his drink to his lips. You tried to read his expression but failed to do so. You didn’t know why you were so interested suddenly.

 

“Why…don’t you want to be the heir?”

 

Chanyeol looked at you and his smile came back.

 

“It’s too early for you to know short stuff. But hey, maybe if you called me oppa again, I’d consider telling you.” He smirked.

 

You glared at him and folded your arms. “Fine, I don’t want to know.”

 

Stupid jerk. Whatever, I’m not interested about your life stories anyway. It’s a waste of my time and brain space.

 

He laughed and ruffled your hair. You ignored it, since you were getting used to it anyway. That dude’s been hanging around you for weeks already. It’s like whatever he does to you, you’re immune to it. Chanyeol smiled and looked outside the window.

 

“Oh, it’s getting dark. I think we should go home now.” He said, while gathering his stuff.

 

You raised your eyebrows. “But it’s only 7PM. It’s not that late yet.”

 

He chuckled and stood up from his seat. “I know you want to spend more time with me Hae Ra. But I don’t feel like hanging out today. We’ll continue next time alright? Oh, and I don’t think I can wait for your butler with you either. I…need to be somewhere.”

 

He smiled and left before you could say anything. You pouted.

 

That’s weird. He was the one that wanted me to hang out today. What’s gotten into him so suddenly? Well, who cares, at least I get to go home early and do some revision today. No way am I going to lose to him in the next test.

 

You called Mr Lee and waited for him in the café while finishing you caramel latte. You couldn’t stop thinking about what Chanyeol said earlier though.

 

It’s too early for you to know.

 

Too early for me to know? To know what? And what does it matter if I know it now or not? Is it because we’re not that close yet?

 

Just as you were about done with your drink, Mr Lee stood beside you, startling you from your thoughts.

 

“I’ve come to pick you up Young Master.”

 

“Mr Lee you scared me! I didn’t notice you were standing there.” You looked at him, and he chuckled.

 

He escorted you to the car and you got in.

 

“It’s been a while since you’ve come home early Young Master.” He commented as he got in the  driver’s seat. He looked at you from the rearview mirror, expecting you to make a reply but seeing how you just stared out of the window, he kept quiet and drove off.

 

A few minutes later at an intersection, something caught your eye. A familiar figure, walking alone, hands in the pocket and back hunched. It was Chanyeol. Something about him was different somehow. He kept looking at the ground while he was walking, bumping into people.

 

You squinted your eyes to look at his face. The tip of his nose was red. Could it be because of the cold weather? No…it was something else. Right then, the traffic light turned green and the car started to move. That’s when you saw something else.

 

He’s…crying?


 

Finally the weekends…I can finally swim!

 

You instantly thought to yourself the moment you opened your eyes. You couldn’t hide your smile and got out of bed. Screw the shower and breakfast, you’re going to dive in your pool and never come out for the rest of the day.

 

You quickly slipped off from your pajamas and searched for your usual swimming attire. You dug thought the pile of clothes that was neatly folded in your dressing room and there it was…right at the corner, was your swimming attire. You held it up and smiled.

 

I’ve missed you so much.

 

You held it close to your face and caressed it. Yes, it’s weird for someone to have this kind of relationship with their clothes. But this is your swimming attire. It’s like your second skin. And it felt kind of weird not wearing it for a few days.

 

You were about to put one foot in your swimming attire when there was a knock on the door. You clicked your tongue and rolled your eyes.

 

Life is never fair.

 

“What is it?” You called out from your dressing room, but your eyes were still fixated on your swimming attire.

 

“The Madam wants you to get dressed and ready to go out Young Master.” You heard one of the maids reply from the other side of the door.

 

You groaned and looked up at the ceiling.

 

Do you hate me so much? Is it because it’s been a while since I’ve prayed to you? Ughhhhh…

 

There was another knock on the door.

 

“The Madam has requested you to wear something Young Master.” The maid said.

 

You sighed and looked at the lifeless piece of clothing in your hands.

 

Looks like today is not the day either. I’m sorry my love, but it seems we might have to wait a little longer.

 

You folded it neatly and placed it back in the cupboard.

 

“You may come in now.” You ordered the maid.

 

She entered slowly and placed your dress on the bed along with some earrings and a new pair of shoes. You raised your eyebrows.

 

“Did she buy all this?”

 

The maid just kept quiet but she nodded her head, before leaving the room.  You sighed and looked at the dress. It was a maxi dress so it’d cover your legs. Suddenly, an idea hits you and you smiled deviously.

 

Looks like today is the day after all.

 

After you got dressed, you headed downstairs and saw that Mr Lee was waiting for you. He looked at you and smiled.

 

“You look beautiful Young Master.”

 

“I look like a toad. Now, any idea where we’re going?”

 

Mr Lee chuckled and escorted you out of the house towards the car.

 

“I heard the Madam saying something about the breakfast with the Do family.” He stated.

 

You rolled your eyes and nodded. You should’ve known. Your mother and Mr Do had been meeting up more frequently than before. You knew that it was just not simply for business. But you kept quiet about it anyway.

 

“Oh and one more thing, your mother went off first.”

 

You sighed. Of course she did.


“Sir, the young lady has arrived.”

 

One of their maids announced in the living room before bowing to you. You entered and bowed politely. The others were already seated in front of the dining table. You saw Mr Do smiling towards you and from the corner of your eyes you saw Kyungsoo.

 

You took the empty seat beside him. He tried to smile at you but you avoided his eye contact.

 

“Yah, what took you so long? Do you know how long Mr Do and Kyungsoo had to wait for you? Silly girl.” Your mother nagged.

 

Mr Do laughed and waved his hand. “It wasn’t that long don’t worry. I’m happy that you’re joining us today Hae Ra. Your mother and I have many things to discuss and we thought it’d be nice for you to come and spend some time together with Kyungsoo. You know, a little bonding time between teeneagers.”

 

You bowed but kept your eyes on the table. “I’m sorry for being late sir. And I am honored to be invited for breakfast with you and Kyungsoo.”

 

Mr Do smiled. “Alright, let’s dig in shall we?”


“Hey wait up!”

 

You turned around and saw Kyungsoo walking towards you.

 

“Where are you going?” He asked.

 

“Just for a walk. To digest the food.”

 

And to see if you guys have a swimming pool in this big house.

 

“Say, does your family...I don’t know…own a swimming pool perhaps?”  You asked, but tried not to make yourself sound desperate.

 

Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows. “Sorry? No…we don’t. Dad says it’s a waste of space to have-“

 

“A waste of space- Oh my God how could he say that?” You realized what you just said and quickly placed your hands over your mouth to shut yourself.

 

Kyungsoo looked at you and chuckled. “I know right? I like to swim. I don’t even know why he hates having a swimming pool so much.”

 

“Wait, you like to swim too?” You stopped walking and looked at him.

 

He likes to swim? But his skin is so fair! He doesn’t look like a swimmer. Plus, his legs are a little…short.

 

“Of course! I just love the feeling of being in the water. And I know this might sound crazy but I feel like me and water was just made for each other.” He looked at you and cleared his throat. “Okay, that sounded stupid, forget I said that.”

 

“No it didn’t.” You said.

 

“Really?”

 

You nodded. “I feel the same way too, with water.” You sighed and stretched your arms above your head. Just thinking about water already made you feel so restless.

 

“It’s a pity we don’t have a pool in our house though. But I do go to the beach sometimes to swim. The sea is always better than the pool. Especially the waves. ” He smiled and again you noticed how his lips formed a heart shape.

 

“Really? Why do you think so?”

 

“Because there’s nothing more beautiful than the way the sea refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away.”

 

There was a few seconds of silence before you broke out into fits of laughter. Kyungsoo widened his eyes in shock at your sudden change in behavior and response to his sincere words from before. He knew the things he just said were corny and embarrassing but he was upset with the way you reacted. His ears turned read from the embarrassment and he folded his arms, sulking.

 

“Y-yah, what’s so funny? I know it’s corny but that’s how much I love the ocean alright?”

 

You tried to compose yourself and tucked the strand of loose hair behind your ears. “No, I get it, I mean I feel the same way too it’s just that, it’s the first time I’ve heard someone talk about something they love so much in that way!” You burst out laughing again.

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at you but ended up laughing with you too. After the both of you had calmed down, you resumed walking again and ended up in a garden at the back of the house. There was a small fountain that seemed to be the focal point of the area and a few benches.

 

The both of you sat down on of the benches and it was awkward again. You didn’t know what else to talk about. The reason you came out for a walk was to find a pool but since they didn’t have one you wanted to be alone. But it seemed like Kyungsoo didn’t want to be in the house either. Kyungsoo could sense the awkwardness and decided to start a conversation.

 

“I believe that was the first time I’ve seen you laugh.” He cleared his throat. “It was nice…”

 

You tried not to make contact and not die from embarrassment. “W-what was?”

 

“Your laughter. It was nicer than I imagined it to be.” He chuckled. You felt like stabbing yourself.

 

, I let my guard down just now. But then again, he seems like a good guy, despite the fact that he might be bipolar.

 

“Uh…thanks, I guess.” You bite your lower lip, hoping he’d change the subject.

 

Just then, one of the maids in the house approached the both of you.

 

“Mr Do would like the both of you to head back to the house. It’s getting dark.” She politely bowed.

 

“Way to ruin the fun.” Kyungsoo mumbled under his breath before facing you but, you were already making your way back to the house. Kyungsoo chuckled and shook his head. “Hey, wait for me!” He shouted before taking quick steps to walk beside you.


Back in the house, there was nothing to do. The adults were doing their own business in the study, while you and Kyungsoo were told to stay in the room and find something to do together. You sighed for the thousandth time that day.

 

Kyungsoo, who was seated at his desk, looked up from his reading glasses. “Can you stop that? I’m trying to read here.” He raised his eyebrows at you. You rolled your eyes and crossed your arms.

 

“Why are you wearing glasses anyway? I’ve never seen you in them before.” You tried to start a conversation to kill time.

 

“Well, for your information, I’m shortsighted. So I need them to read. And besides ,don’t you think they make me look smart?” He smirked and you scoffed.

 

Please…it makes your eyes look like the wheels of a truck that’s what it does.

 

You were starting to get restless and uncomfortable with your dress. You thought of the idea you had before you came to this place and smacked your forehead.

 

Stupid, why did I assume he had a swimming pool? Not all rich people own swimming pools.

 

Kyungsoo noticed how fidgety you were being and closed his book and took off his reading glasses. “Hey, wanna go somewhere?”

 

“Go somewhere? But, our parents told us to stay-“

 

“Well, what they don’t know won’t hurt them right? We’ll come back before they know it.” He had a mischievous look on his face as he stood up and went to the door to check for any maids that were walking around. Apparently, there were two maids right across the hallway, sweeping and dusting the area. He sighed and locked the door.

 

“Alright, here’s the plan.  We’ll go out through the window, you’ll call your butler to give us a lift and if we are able to make it back in time without the maids or our parents knowing, we’d be out of trouble.”

 

“Excuse me? Call my butler to give us a lift where? And what makes you think Mr Lee wouldn’t tell my mother about this?”

 

Kyungsoo shrugged and placed his hands on his hips. “Well, from the way I see it, your butler seems more loyal to you than your mother. What do you say? Don’t you want to get out from this house for a while?” He looked at you excitedly.

 

You contemplated for a while. He was true about Mr Lee though. Mr Lee would always keep your secrets safely from your mother, and he’d only take orders from you. You looked at Kyungsoo who was already beaming at you and took out your handphone.

 

“Hello Mr Lee, I need you to come to the Do family’s house... No, we’re not going home now… Well, Kyungsoo and I are sneaking out for a few minutes, you think you could help us out?”

 

After the call you shut your phone and looked at Kyungsoo.

 

“Well? What did he say? Is your butler in or what?”

 

“He said he’d do it but if we were to get into trouble, he wants you to take responsibility.”

 

Kyungsoo scoffed and waved his hands at you. “Please, my plan is bulletproof.”

 

You shrugged and made your way towards the window. “So how do you suppose we climb down?”

 

He pushed you to the side and clapped his hands together. “Just watch and learn from the sensei my little grasshopper.” He smirked and swiftly climbed out of the window.

 

You watched carefully as he climbed down the vine fence at the side of the wall, hopped on to the big tree that was a few meters away, and climbed down the branches of the tree. He gracefully landed on the ground, without any injuries or making any noise.

 

How the heck am I supposed to do that?! I’m not a monkey like him! Wait, I didn’t really think he’d be able to make it either!

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes scanned the area to check if the coast was clear and signaled you to come down.

 

You slowly climbed out from the window and you instantly felt your legs shaking from fear.

 

If I die tonight, I am so going to haunt Kyungsoo.