Chapter 3

Like Water

Chapter 3

 

“Could you please stop staring at me? It’s really making me uncomfortable.” You hissed.

 

It was only half an hour through the first lesson of the day and someone was already getting on your nerves. And that someone is none other than the gigantic monster, Park Chanyeol. He didn’t seem to be affected by your requests though and just kept staring at you.

 

“I knew it, it is you.” He whispered and smiled.

 

“What? What are you talking about? I don’t even know you. And could you please shut up?! I’m trying to concentrate here!” 

 

“They’re still as beautiful as ever.”

 

It was as though you pleas fell on deaf ears. Who is this guy? Is he like a stalker?

 

“Listen, I don’t know what you’re talking about but the kids here don’t talk to me and I’d prefer it to be that way until I graduate.” You turned slightly to face him.

 

He was just staring at you with a smile plastered on his face and his head propped up on his hand. You rolled your eyes at him and continued to pay attention to the lesson.

It was finally recess and you quickly made your way to your usual place with your lunch in your hands.

The rooftop.

Because of you, no one really goes there and you were quite happy with it. You didn’t want to be involved in any social matters with the other kids in the school. And that was why you always brought lunch from home. Your mother didn’t know about this of course.

You sat against the wall, its shade protected you from the sun. You hated warm weather. You liked it when it rain. It was colder. If you were to die, you’d prefer to die from the cold, that way you’d die clean and neat, not sweaty and sticky.

You took the sandwich you made yourself this morning and took a bite. You sighed into it and put it back in the bag. You weren’t feeling hungry. You placed the bag beside you and cleaned the space before lying on your back, so that you’re looking at the sky.

Appa, how are you doing? You’re so lucky you don’t have to deal with this.

 

As you were lying down, something suddenly blocked the light and you opened your eyes, thinking it was a cloud. But instead, you saw a hand. Seeing how it was big, you sighed and closed your eyes.

 

“What’s up shorty! I’ve been looking everywhere for you! Let’s eat together hm?” Chanyeol said with glee.

 

You sighed and ignored him.

Just evaporate already you gigantic weirdo.

You felt him nudging your shoulder.

 

“Yah, aren’t you hungry? Come on let’s eat, let’s eat!”

 

“I don’t go to the cafeteria. Just eat by yourself and leave me alone would you?” You said in a monotonous voice.

 

“Who said we’re eating at the cafeteria?”

 

You heard him chuckle and then there were some strange sounds. Is that…a paper bag? Curiosity got the better of you and you opened your eyes to see what he was doing. Your eyes slightly grew wider as you saw him taking out kimbap and kimchi from the bag. He looked at you and chuckled.

 

“What, never seen someone pack their lunch to school before? Well, I guess you haven’t since you’re all rich here.” He smiled and took a bite out of the kimbap. He closed his eyes and he dramatically swallowed it. “Ah, the taste of homemade food.”

 

He looked at you and offered you some. You shot him a confused look. Is he serious right now? He kept on gesturing you to take a bite of the kimbap.  You ignored his offer but sat up straight. It’s no use, you can’t go back to class since there’d be people there and he won’t stop sticking around you like glue, so you might as well endure this.

You saw how he ate and you suddenly felt hungry too. You your dry lips and reached out for your own lunch. Slowly, you took a bite from your unfinished sandwich. Chanyeol choked when he saw what you were doing and quickly opened a can of soda to chug down the food that was stuck in his throat.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“Yah, are my eyes fooling me right now? Are you seriously eating that?”

 

“Why can’t I? It’s my lunch. Is it wrong to eat my own food?” You shrugged and took another bite.

 

You heard him chuckle and turned to face me. What the hell is his problem?

 

Chanyeol wiped his mouth as he finished his lunch and took another sip of his soda. “This is a first for me.” You raised your eyebrows questioningly. “What, seeing someone rich having a packed lunch?” He nodded and you sighed. “I’m not surprised.” You simply said and finished your food just in time before the bell rang.

You stood up and brushed of the dust off your skirt before heading towards the stairs.

 

“Yah, let’s go together!” Chanyeol said as he quickly got up to his feet and ran after you. You clicked your tongue and tried to walk as fast as you can but damn that giant and his long legs you couldn’t even get as far as 3 meters away from him and he already caught up with you. You sighed and just continued walking with him smiling like an idiot beside you.

You managed to ignore him for the rest of the day and when school was finally over, you made a run for it. Thank god Mr Lee was always punctual and you threw yourself into the car before shutting the door behind you. You looked out the window and saw Chanyeol looking around him, searching for you.

 

“Let’s go Mr Lee. Hurry.”

Mr Lee chuckled and looked at you through the rear view mirror. “What’s with the rush Young Master? Are you going somewhere?”

You shook your head. “I just want to get home as fast as possible.” You mumbled and Mr Lee smiled.

“Understood.” He said as he stepped into gear and drove the car.

 

Once the car was far away from the school, you felt your body relax a little and you leaned against the window. Mr Lee kept looking at you from the rear view mirror.

 

“Is anything the matter Young Master? Did something happen in school? Did you manage to make some friends?” He asked, feeling hopeful.

“Nothing. I’m just…tired. Wake me up when we’ve reached the house.” You said and closed your eyes.

 

Mr Lee nodded and shifted his attention back on the road. You didn’t want to talk anymore. What happened in school had been enough for one day. It was tiring avoiding that giant. What is he, David Copperfield or something?! He keeps appearing!

 

They’re still as beautiful as ever.

What did he mean by that? What’s the thing that was beautiful? How come he knows me?

 

Those thoughts occupied your mind all the way home and when you got back, you made your way to your room and got changed into your swimming attire. Without wasting any second, you made your way to your favorite place and just jumped in.

Feeling the water on your body made you calm again. You dipped your head in and block out the other noise. You swam for a few laps and finally got on to the float that was on the edge of the pool and closed your eyes. This was your usual routine when you swim.

You’d swim for a while to relieve yourself and then just got on to your float and just shut your eyes. Nobody else in the house uses the pool. Of course the only people allowed to swim were just you and your mother but she’s too busy handling the company to have some time to herself.

And the staff and maids in the house were not allowed to swim inside. You gave them permission to swim once, during their time off and your mother decided to throw a party for them, but they just wouldn’t. Saying how they didn’t want to dirty the place, especially with it being your favorite place.

 

“Young Master, you have a visitor.” Mr Lee’s voice disrupted your thoughts and you just let out a muffled moan while you turned yourself to face him.

 

“Tell my mother I’m not interested.”

 

Now, remember when you said people wouldn’t talk to you? Well, apparently your mother, despite being busy with work all the time, she was worried about you not getting any…romance. Now, of course, normal girls your age would dream of meeting their prince in shining armor, riding on a white horse or whatever. But you weren’t like other girls. And that worried your mother.

So occasionally, she’d send in suitors to the house, ones that came from rich families like yourself. She’d set you up for blind dates and everything, but of course, you‘d turn them down. You weren’t interested. You’d actually prefer to grow old alone, have like twenty cats or something and just spend more time in the pool yourself.

You heard Mr Lee chuckle. “It’s not a guy this time Young Master.”

 

Your eyes shot open. Have your mother gone desperate?! She thinks you’re a lesbian now? For the love of God-

 

“Yah! You don’t even want to meet me?! You ungrateful little piece of sh-“

“Yeseo! Oh my god!”

 

You scrambled on your float, causing you to fall in to the water with a big splash. You quickly swam your way to the edge of the pool and went out. You were about to give your childhood friend a hug but she stopped you.

 

“Nah uh, you ain’t gonna ruin my drop dead gorgeous outfit honey. Get yourself dried and change, we’re going shopping.” She said as she blew a bubble from the gum she was chewing.

 

You laughed and obeyed her. Mr Lee smiled at the both of you before taking his leave. The only time you ever smiled or laughed genuinely, is when Yeseo was there. She never failed to do so. The both of you practically grew up together. Lived in the same neighborhood, went to the same school, and the two of you, believe it or not, bought the same pair of underwear. Yeap, that was how close the two of you were.

But then when the two of you just started high school, she moved to California and only came back during vacation or special occasions. And those days would be the happiest days of your life. The two of you hung out together that even your parents treated her as though she was their daughter. Your father loved her so much, and it really affected her when he passed away.

When you were done and dressed, you went down to the lounge but found it to be empty. You furrowed your eyebrows and turned to see Mr Lee waiting for you at the front door.

 

“Where’s Yeseo?”

 

“She’s waiting in the car for you.” He opened the door and gestured you to go out.

 

You went to the front door and were surprised to see a white Ferrari parked right outside with Yeseo behind the wheels.

 

“Get in loser, we’re going shopping.”

 

You scoffed, knowing that she so quoted that from the Mean Girls movie and got in the passenger seat. Of course Mr Lee, doing his job, escorted you to the car and opened the door for you. You sighed and smiled at him.

 

“I can open the door myself you know.”

 

“Like I said before, and all the times before that, it’s my duty to do so Young Master.  Call me once you’re done, I’ll pick you up.”

 

“Oh I don’t think there’s a need for that, Yeseo can drive me home-“

 

“Nah uh, not today sweetie. I’ve got a hot date tonight.” She said and winked at you.

 

You shot her a look before turning back to Mr Lee.

 

“Fine then, I’ll call you.”

 

He bowed and ushered you in the car before Yeseo drove off.

 

Now, you didn’t have a driver’s license and you didn’t know the rules for driving but YESEO WAS LITERALLY BREAKING ALL THE RULES OF DRIVING. You swore you almost died a couple of times and you had to recite some prayers in your head to keep you and your best friend alive. Once she stopped to park the car, you took off your seat belt and went out. Any longer and your seat belt and went outyou’d puke colors on the white leather seats of her car.

 

“Okay who paid you to kill me?” You said as you started to breathe normally.

 

Yeseo rolled her eyes at you and locked the car. “Stop being such a drama queen, come on we don’t have much time!”

 

She grabbed your hand and dragged you into the mall. This was what you and her would normally do when the two of you meet. She’d take you go shopping, but of course, she’d be the one doing the shopping while you’re just there to accompany her. It’s not like it’s everyday she’d be in Korea. As the two of you were walking through the aisle of miniskirts and tank tops, the usual conversations you had we her started.

 

“So, you caught some boys you tryin’ to holla at?”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“I mean, have you found your baby daddy yet?”

 

“You better stop talking like that or I might have to break your neck.” You glared at her.

 

She laughed and brought her hands up in the air as though she was surrendering. “Gosh sorry! Don’t get your in a knot. Was just trying to introduce some Western culture to my best friend.” She threw her arm around your shoulder and gave you a light hug.

 

“So, as I was saying, how’s romance in your life? Has Miss Kim finally found her knight in shining armor yet?”

 

You sighed and shook your head. “I told you, I’m not interested in romance.”

Your best friend rolled her eyes and nodded. “Yeah yeah, you want to grow old with like a hundred cats or something and get married to your own swimming pool. But listen, there’s so much more out there than just your little kiddy pool okay?”

You ignored her and decided to change the topic.

 

“So, who’s your date? I mean, you’re just here for a while before you go back to California right?”

 

“Actually yes and no. I’m here as an intern in my dad’s company, you know, training me before he retires. Once I’m done with training, I’ll go back to LA, graduate and come back here for good.”

 

She browsed through a rack of jeans while you sat on one of the stools in front of the changing rooms. “And speaking of my date, he’s meeting us here in a few minutes.” She winked at you and you shot her a look.

Great, more people to deal with. You rolled your eyes.

 

Yeseo went in to one of the changing rooms to try out some clothes while you waited for her outside. You felt a little awkward to be sitting there alone so you took out your phone and started to text your butler.

 

Mr Lee, could you come and pick me up at the mall in like ten minutes?

And a few minutes later,

Of course Young Master, I’ll be there in nine minutes.

 

You sighed, feeling relieved you had such an efficient butler as Mr Lee. Then you could make an excuse for leaving and going back to your ‘kiddy pool’ and just have some more alone time instead of being a third wheel and holding in your puke while your friend Yeseo drools over her date.

 

“Hae Ra? Holy ….it is you! Aha! Yah!”

 

Your head shot up as you heard that familiar deep voice. Slowly, you turned your head around and just as you feared, Chanyeol was standing behind you, dressed in a sweater and jeans with his hands waving at you like a little boy. You rolled your eyes and was about to make a run for it but you noticed he wasn’t alone. Someone else was with him and good lord was that someone hot.

 

Chanyeol noticed you eyeing his friend and smirked.

 

“This is Jongin. A friend of mine.”

 

The guy with a slightly darker skin tone than Chanyeol nodded slightly at you. You felt a blush creep up your cheeks.

 

“Are you here alone? I’m accompanying this little brat on a date. It’s his first time dating an older woman so he needs all the help he can get, right my little kkamjong!” Chanyeol headlocked the younger and started rubbing his fist on the younger’s head.

So he’s younger? Darn…wait, what in the world of cheesecakes were you thinking?

 

You shook your own thoughts from your head. “I see, well, it’s nice meeting you but I have to go now so..”

 

“Who are you talking to- OMO YOU’RE HERE!” Yeseo came out from the fitting room and ran towards Jongin who welcomed her with a tight hug.

 

Both you and Chanyeol raised your eyebrows. “Okay what in the world?” You heard him say. And you were thinking the same thing. So…this Jongin guy is your bestfriend’s date? She’s actually dating someone younger?

 

Your friend noticed how clueless you looked and straightened herself and you noticed how that Jongin guy naturally s his arm around her tiny waist. And did Chanyeol say he needed help? Puh-lease this guy seemed to know what he was doing!

 

“Hae Ra, meet my date Jongin and this is his friend Chan- Wait hold up, you two know each other?”

 

Your best friend pointed to the both of you.

 

“NO!”

 

“WE’RE CLASSMATES!” Chanyeol then placed his arm around your shoulder but you elbowed his ribs making him jerk back and shoot you a look. Your friend clapped her hand as though the most brilliant idea in the world just came to her.

 

“Let’s all go out together tonight!”

 

I hate my life.