Chapter 38

Like Water

Chapter 38

 

 

“For smiling and laughing with me.”

 

You got out of the car and gently pushed Kyungsoo away. “Oh stop being so corny, I hate that kind of stuff.”

 

Kyungsoo chuckled and followed you as you walked into the school building. You noticed how Chanyeol wasn’t waiting for you at his usual spot and how the other students were quietly watching the both of you walking side by side down the hallway to the lockers. They were whispering and pointing at the both of you so obviously that it was hard to pretend not to notice. Kyungsoo sighed and kept on walking.

 

“Just ignore them and get to class Hae Ra.” He said to you.

 

You nodded. “I know that.”

 

When the both of you reached your locker, Kyungsoo held up a small box in front of you. “Here, it’s for you.” He said as he tossed the small item into your hands.

 

“What’s this?” You said as you eyed the suspicious velvety box. You shut the box the minute you knew what was inside and tossed it back to Kyungsoo. “I don’t need this.” You said as you started to take out your books from your locker.

 

Kyungsoo sighed and ran his hand through his hair. “Look, I’m wearing mine right now. My father told me to give this to you. It was aired all over the news remember? People know about our engagement. But it seems the media wanted more proof, and this is the proof.” He placed the small box into your hands.

 

You sighed and reluctantly opened the box again and the silver ring with small intricate design on it shined effortlessly. Kyungsoo smiled and pointed to the ring.

 

“See, it doesn’t even have a huge diamond, so it won’t be too flashy for you to put it on. And I know how you hate attention.”

 

You took out the ring and put it on. Perfect fit. And you had to admit, the design of the ring wasn’t that bad either. It was exactly your style. Not too flashy and not too simple. You closed the box and threw it into your locker. The ring felt cold against your skin but you figured you’d get used to it after a while.

 

“See? It looks nice on you.” Kyungsoo tried to compliment you but you scoffed.

 

“Oh please, the sooner we figure out how to end this, the sooner I’ll be able to get rid of it.” You shut your locker and held your books against your chest. “See you after school Kyungsoo.” You smiled at him and made your way to class before the bell rang.

 

Kyungsoo just stared at your back before staring at the silver ring on his finger. He sighed and rubbed his thumb over it. “Get rid of it huh.”

 

 

You sat in your seat and noticed how Chanyeol was reading a comic book. Knowing how he’ll just ignore you for the rest of the day, you just kept quiet and opened your books to do some quick revision before class starts.

 

“Congratulations on the engagement.” He said suddenly, breaking the silence between the both of you. You turned to see him smiling at you.

 

How could he smile like that? Wait…of course he could. He wasn’t the one getting forcefully engaged to someone. You rolled your eyes and sighed.

 

“There’s no need to be so happy about my engagement you know.” You said and closed your book.

 

Chanyeol raised his eyebrows. “Why not? You seemed to be happy about it when I watched you on the news. The both of you really suit each other you know, standing there side by side, holding hands. I didn’t even know you would agree to it.” He shrugged.

 

“Now listen here, who said I was happy about getting engaged—“ You were cut off by the sound of the bell and as if on cue, Mr Kris walked in, instructing the other students to get back to their seats before he could begin taking the attendance.

 

Chanyeol sighed and kept his comic under his table before going to his usual pose; arms folded on the table and head down. You stared at him. You didn’t know why you were feeling angry at him. You just thought he would know that a person like you, especially you, wouldn’t have easily agreed to the engagement, let alone an arranged marriage with his rival, Do Kyungsoo.

 

Lessons started as usual. You decided to focus instead of pondering about Chanyeol or the engagement. A few hours later, the bell rang and it was time for lunch.

 

“You go on ahead to the rooftop first Hae Ra. I’m gonna buy us some drinks. It’s been a while since we’ve went up to the roof hasn’t it? And the weather is going to get colder so we can’t really eat there then.” Chanyeol said cheerfully as he stood up from his seat. You nodded and was about to make your way out when you heard a commotion at the front of the classroom.

 

To your surprise, Kyungsoo was standing by the front door of the class and he was waving towards you.

 

“Hey, let’s eat together! I bought us some drinks too.” He beamed while holding up two bottles of drinks.

 

“Uh…” You glanced to look at Chanyeol but he was just smiling at you.

 

“It’s okay Hae Ra. You can go eat with him. I’ll just head to the cafeteria and join the guys from the song composing club.”

 

Before you could say anything, Chanyeol walked out of the classroom. You sighed as you watched his back disappear down the hallway.

 

“The food’s not good enough?”

 

You snapped out of your thoughts when you heard Kyungsoo’s voice. The both of you were sitting alone in the school garden. It was actually your first time being there since you were always eating at the rooftop with Chanyeol. Kyungsoo suggested eating there instead. He said the nice change of environment would do well for the both of you at a time like this. The place was vacant anyway. After hearing about your engagement with Kyungsoo, the students in the school were avoiding you even more. But it was not like you minded it. It has always been that way for you.

 

“Here, have some of this. It’s really good.” Kyungsoo offered you a bite of his lunch.

 

You smiled and shook your head in response.

 

“What? Come on, despite the looks, it’s not that bad. I made it myself you know.” He tried to act hurt and then tried to offer you his lunch again.

 

You sighed and took a bite just for the sake. One you didn’t expect was how good it really did taste. “This is amazing. Did you really make this?”  You looked at him.

 

Kyungsoo smirked and looked proud. “Well, they didn’t call me Mama Kyungsoo in the home economics class for nothing.”

 

“Mama Kyungsoo?! Well, they should at least give you a better name.” You laughed.

 

Kyungsoo smiled at you. “There’s that smile again.” He said, catching you off guard.

 

You sighed. “Kyungsoo, we have got to solve this as soon as possible. I just, I don’t know, I feel like it’s not right to get married when we aren’t in love in the first place right?” You looked at him.

 

It doesn’t feel right because somehow, I feel like I’m guilty of something. And I hate that.

 

“Well, what do you suggest we do?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“Hmm, I have no idea actually. But we just got to keep thinking okay?”

 

Just then the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch and the both of you made your way back to class.