Chapter 16

Like Water

Chapter 16

 

“Wait, wait, wait. Stop. Rewind. You and Kyungsoo were what now?” You were practically seated at the edge of your seat after hearing what you heard.

 

“Oh, remember a long time ago, we talked on the phone and I told you there was this cute guy on my campus? And how I was relieved since he was the first Korean I met when I was in Cali? Yeap that was Kyungsoo.” She said as she used her straw to poke through the ice that was left in her cup.

 

“Yeah, but I thought his name was D.O or something?”

 

Yeseo looked at you and laughed. “Well, yeah, D.O and in his surname Do. Duh. Americans apparently had trouble pronouncing his name so he made a nickname for himself to make it easier for everyone.”

 

You leaned back in your seat, processing the information that just went into your head.

 

So Yeseo and him are close friends? Wait, did he say anything to her about me? Did he…did he tell her about that night?

 

“Did he…did he tell you anything?” You nervously eyed her, searching for some clues, a hint, from her expression. But knowing your best friend, she’s one tough book to read.

 

Yeseo thought about the question for a while, her eyes looking up at no particular object, before shaking her head. “Not anything interesting. Recently he just told me how his dad made him meet this rich lady’s daughter and it happened to be you and it just so happened that you and me are best friends. Other than that, nothing in particular.” She shrugged.

 

But then, she shot you a playful, cheeky look and a smile crept up on her face. “Why do you ask? Did the both of you do something?”

 

You felt the blood rush to your cheeks as your mind wandered to that night, when both you and Kyungsoo were alone at the pool together. You mentally slapped yourself for letting yourself feel that way.

 

Just what are you doing Hae Ra?! Get your together, you’re not thinking about Kyungsoo that way! That guy’s a cocky bastard!

 

“N-Nothing! Pfft why would I want to do anything with a jerk like him?” You let out a nervous chuckle and turned your gaze outside the window. From the corner of your eyes, you noticed how the shoulders of your best friend were shaking up and down because she was controlling her laughter.

 

“Alright, alright, I won’t tease you. So you don’t like him?”

 

You finally relaxed in your seat and played with the straw in your empty glass.

 

“Of course not. We’re just acquaintances.” You shrugged. Just then you heard your best friend clapped her hands together.

 

“I see. But no one can disagree how good looking that guy is. I actually had a crush on him back in Cali.” Yeseo giggled, as she remembered her days in California.. “That dude was really popular back then you know?”

 

You raised your eyebrows. “Really? Why is that? Cause he was good looking?”

 

Yeseo chuckled and shook her head. “Nope. Well, partly. It’s because he was super chubby. And then after one summer, he came back looking smokin’ hot!” Yeseo fanned herself and laughed.

 

“And that’s when you had a crush on him I suppose?” You teased your best friend.

 

Surprisingly Yeseo shook her head. “I didn’t like him for his looks Hae Ra. Even before he lost all that weight, I already had a tinsy bitsy crush on him. Because he was the first friend I made, and he’s so kind, and sweet, and caring-“

 

You burst out laughing, clutching on to your stomach. Yeseo looked at you, feeling a little confused and offended with your reaction. She folded her arms and glared at you.

 

“Yeah, yeah, laugh all you want. I know it’s corny but personality is way better than looks okay.”

 

You waved your hand at her, and took a deep breath to calm yourself.

 

“No, no it’s not that. We are talking about the same Kyungsoo right? Because the Kyungsoo I know is totally the opposite than he Kyungsoo you know. That dude’s a total cocky jerk!” You laughed.

 

“No he’s not! He’s like a total sweetheart. You should’ve seen how many girls were dying just to get a glimpse of him back then! I considered myself lucky to be the first friend he made. And, we’re both Koreans. It’s like fate.” Yeseo clasped her arms together and stared dreamily into the distance.

 

Woah, I don’t think it’s a crush. I think she’s really head over heels for that brat.

 

“You still like him don’t you?” You smirked. You noticed how a blush crept on your best friend’s face and she sheepily nodded. Suddenly, she reached out to both your hands, a desperate look on your face.

 

“That’s why I’ve been thinking, and I know you don’t really like this guy, but Hae Ra, could you help me with one teeny weeny bit of favor?” She looked at you.

 

Oh no, I know where this is going I am not-

 

Yeseo stood up from her seat and sat beside you, both her hands still firmly grasping on to yours.

 

Oh no, no, no. I am not going to do-

 

You began to back away from her but unfortunately, there was no more space left for you to move. You cursed in your head for choosing to sit near the wall. You turned your head to Yeseo and caught her making those puppy dog eyes of hers. Damn, she knows how weak you get when she does that to you. It’s been like that ever since the both of you were kids. She’d always gets you to do stuff her way with those damn eyes.

 

“Pretty please Hae Ra? You’d do it for me right?” Yeseo spoke as though she was a five year old little girl, begging to get an ice cream. No, begging to get her face smacked. You sighed, completely giving in to her request.

 

“Fine, fine, you annoying little piece of meat and your annoying eyes that are asking to be stabbed. I’ll do it, for you.” You rolled your eyes as Yeseo swallowed you into a tight hug with her arms.

 

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! So, I’m assuming you already know what I want you to do but because I’m leaving Seoul next week and not coming back until the next vacation, you can take your time. Okay?” She beamed at you.

 

“But how the hell am I supposed to make him like you? I don’t even hang out with him! The only time I do see him would be in the morning, since take turns to carpool each other to school.” You whined.

 

Yeseo raised her eyebrows at you. “The two of you go to school together?”

 

Before Yeseo gets any wrong idea stuck in her head, you quickly added. “Our parents are business partners so since they’ll be meeting each other a lot, they thought it’d be nice if me and him were friends.”

 

You noticed how Yeseo relaxed a little and let out a tiny sigh of relief.

 

“I see, well, that’s even better. Now you’ll have plenty of opportunity to ask him!” She went back to her usual beaming self.

 

“Ask him what?”

 

“Well, obviously I don’t want to just come in straight like a wrecking ball by telling him that I like him. I want you to ask him about me. Like say, whether he finds me pretty? Cute? Hot?-“

 

“Okay, okay I get it. You want me to find out whether he’s interested in you? Even the slightest bit?”

 

Yeseo nodded enthusiastically. “Yes! And also, maybe find out about his ideal type?” She cheekily smiled at you.

 

You rolled your eyes and nodded your head before Yeseo decided to give you a friendly headlock hug.

 

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You’re the most awesome and kind-hearted best friend ever!”

 

You smiled and just chuckled. Yeseo was always like this, and that was what you liked about her. She might come off as annoying and a total brat to other people, but to you, she’s someone who balances you out. You being someone who’s dull and boring, Yeseo is there to make it seem better.

 

Just then your phone ringed in your bag and you saw it was Mr Lee’s number. Panicked, you looked out of the café’s window and noticed how dark it already was. You quickly picked up the call.

 

“Young Master, thank goodness! I’ve been trying to contact you, I didn’t see you at the usual café and I got worried. Where are you right now?”

 

“I’m sorry Mr Lee. It completely slipped my mind to tell you. I’m with Yeseo right now. We met up earlier and hung out, since she’s leaving Seoul soon. I’ll text you where we are so you could come pick us up.”

 

You ended the call and looked through your messages.

10 from Mr Lee and-

35 FROM CHANYEOL?!

 

What?! Why are there so many texts from him?

 

Yeseo looked at you with a worried expression. “Is everything okay? Did Mr Lee scold you?”

 

You smiled and shook your head. “No, no, it’s fine. Just some random spam texts.”

 

Yeseo scrunched her face. “Ugh I hate spam texts! I mean, how childish is that?”

 

You let out a nervous laughter and read Chanyeol’s texts.

 

Yo shortstuff, how could you leave me behind with Mr Fancypants?

---

Hey, Mr Fancypants went home already. You can come back now.

---

Hae Ra, where are you? Are you seriously not coming?

---

Ah, I get it, you’re playing hard to get aren’t you? That’s okay, all the girls plays hard to get with me ;)

---

Okay it’s been almost an hour, are you still going to ignore me?

---

Hae Ra, you promised you’d hang out today! A month is still not over yet! If you’re not here in thirty minutes, you’re going to have to accompany me for another month!

---

Okay, okay, a month is too long, just another week.

---

Hae Ra….Hae RA….HAE RA REPLY ME WILL YOU?! L

---

OMG HAE RA I JUST SAW YOUR BUTLER. HE CAME TO PICK YOU UP BUT HE DIDN’T SEE YOU WITH ME AND HE RAN OUT OF THE CAFÉ LIKE USAIN BOLT. ARE YOU OKAY? WHERE ARE YOU?

---

GOD DAMN IT HAE RA PICK UP YOUR DAMN PHONE.

---

YOU BETTER NOT BE SEEING MR FANCYPANTS IN SECRET OR I’LL KILL THAT FREAKIN’ BASTA-

 

You quickly shut your messages and looked at your missed calls folder and your jaw went slack.

 

72 missed calls?! He called me 72 times?! Is that freak crazy or something?!

 

Yeseo looked at you. You smiled to her and started to gather your stuff.

 

“Looks like I have to go. Mr Lee is coming to fetch me soon. I forgot to tell him I was with you and he’s been worrying about me.” At that moment, you saw the car pull up at the driveway. An angry looking Mr Lee came out and he looked at you, no he was shooting daggers at you. Even though he’s usually calm and collected, when Mr Lee is angry, even your mother wouldn’t dare to go near him.

 

Yeseo saw Mr Lee too and she clicked her tongue. “Oooh, looks like someone’s in a bad mood. You better hurry and get out there girl, he looks like he’s about to explode any minute.”

 

You nodded and quickly left. You shot a nervous glance to Mr Lee, and even tried to smile at him but he just ignored it and opened the door for you as usual.

 

“Oh Mr Lee, thank you for opening the door-“

 

“Just get in.” He snapped at you.

 

You quickly shut your mouth and did as you were told. “Yes sir, right away sir.”

 

The ride back home was as silent as death. You couldn’t bring yourself to talk to Mr Lee, and the whole time, he had his eyes on the road, an indignant expression was painted all over his face. When the car pulled over in front of your house, Mr Lee cuts the engine and remained seated in his seat. That made you worried even more since he’d always open the door for you. You felt bad and figured you should apologize to him again so you finally decided to speak up. But he beat you to it.

 

“Young Master, I have to say that I was frightened to death when I didn’t see you at the usual café with your tall friend. You should’ve told me that you were going to meet Yeseo. He looked at you through the rearview mirror, his pained expression made your heart hurt.

 

“I’m really sorry Mr Lee. It’s been a while since I’ve met Yeseo and I got excited so I forgot to inform you. But I promise you it won’t happen again.” You tried to reassure him. But the concerned look of his was still there.

 

“You really have to tell me where you go Young Master. This isn’t just a minor thing. It’s very dangerous to be out alone. Things may happen to you. I do not want you to be in another accident-“ Just then his eyes widened and he immediately stopped talking and averted  his eyes from you.

 

You sat up straight from your seat and leaned over towards Mr Lee.

 

“Accident? What are you talking about Mr Lee? What accident?”

 

“Did I say that? I’m truly sorry Young Master, it was a mistake. It meant nothing. Now let’s hurry in before Madam starts worrying.” He became flustered and quickly went out of the car to open the door for you.

 

You gave him a puzzled look before coming out of the car.

 

Accident? What accident? I don’t recall anything happening to me.

 

Just as you were thinking about what Mr Lee had said earlier, your head throbbed so painfully that you lost the will to stand. Just before you hit the ground, Mr Lee caught you in his arms.

 

“Young Master! Young Master! Dear lord…” He said in a panicked voice and carried you in his arms and ran into the house.

 

Your eyes suddenly felt so heavy and everything around you slowly started to disappear into darkness. The last thing you heard was the sound of Mr Lee barging into the house shouting, “It’s happened again!”

 

Your eyes couldn’t stay open anymore and you fell unconscious.