Chapter 15

Like Water

Chapter 15

 

The three of you made your way towards the café in silence, with you sandwiched between the both of them since they refused to stand side by side. Since the pavement was a little narrow and you’d have to lean in closer to each other whenever someone else was walking in the opposite direction, your shoulders kept bumping against each other and you were getting really annoyed.

 

What annoyed you more was whenever that did happen; the both of them wouldn’t glare at you, but at each other. They’d also mutter curses at each other and you’d have to control yourself not to just slap them both. The three of you finally made it to the café and instead of sitting with you and Kyungsoo, Chanyeol said he’d go to the back and find Baekhyun instead.

 

“Good riddance.” Kyungsoo muttered as he sat in front of you.

 

“Why can’t the both of you get along? Like seriously, the two of you are really similar.” You said, as you took off your school’s blazer and place it on the seat beside you.

 

Kyungsoo widened his eyes as though he was offended. “What do you mean we’re similar? In what ways?”

 

“Well, firstly, the both of you annoy the out of me. Secondly, you guys are childish as hell. Thirdly, the both of you are cocky. Shall I continue?” You said sarcastically.

 

Kyungsoo made a face at you and waved his hand. “Just shut up. I don’t want to hear it. Besides, you’re here to treat me right?” His mood changed in an instant and his eyes formed crescents.

 

The two of you are bipolar too.

 

You ordered caramel latte for the both of you and while waiting for your order to come, you took out your textbook and started to write down some notes. Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows as he looked at how concentrated you were.

 

“Woah, mid-term exams are not until a month. Why are you so eager to study?” He said.

 

“I have to do well for the next exam, you don’t understand. It’s..it’s a personal thing.” You mumbled as you scribbled something at the side of the page.

 

Just then Chanyeol came back with your lattes, and he had a pissed off look painted across his face. Right beside him was an annoyed looking Baekhyun. You assumed he was in his shift since he was wearing the staff uniform as well as the apron.

 

“Could you guys please take care of him? I have work to do and this brat just kept sticking on my back like some glue.” He spat out to you and Kyungsoo. He puffed his cheeks and blew his fringe away from his face.

 

Chanyeol pouted and played with the hem of his school shirt. “Come on Baek, I promise I won’t disturb you! I’ll just sit at the back quietly, minding my own business!” He pleaded desperately.

 

Baekhyun glared at the taller boy, which is a good use of the eyeliner on his eyes because damn, they looked fierce. Chanyeol sighed and moved to the seat beside you. He took your blazer and hung it at the back of the chair instead so that he’d have space to seat.

 

“Excuse me, my blazer was on that seat. Why can’t you sit beside Kyungsoo? There’s an empty sit next to him.”

 

“I don’t want to!”

“What, no way!”

 

The both of them protested at the same time. You sighed and gave up bothering about that minor stuff and continued to focus on your book instead. Chanyeol sulked and sat silently beside you. Kyungsoo did the same. He then got frustrated with the silence and tapped his finger on the page of the book you were reading.

 

“Aren’t you gonna entertain me?”  He looked at you, his face clearly showing how bored he was.

 

Right before you were about to answer, Chanyeol answered for you.

 

“Why would she want to talk to you?” He said cockily.

 

Kyungsoo scoffed and rested his arms on the table. “Well excuse me, it was only supposed to be a date between Hae Ra and me. She was the one who wanted to treat me.”

 

Chanyeol’s eyes widened. “Date?! What do you mean date- Hae Ra is that true?”

 

You slammed your book shut and glared at the both of them. “Oh my god, could the both of you just shut up?! Why do you guys fight like a bunch of girls all the time? It’s getting damn annoying. Just make up and try to be friends will you?”  

 

The both of them stared at you, shocked by your sudden outburst. You sighed and packed your bags.

 

“That’s it I’m leaving. I’ve kept my part of both your deals, come to the café, “ you gestured to Chanyeol, “and treated you to a drink.” You pointed to Kyungsoo. “Now, I want to spend some time, without the both of you.” You quickly said and slung your bag over your shoulder.

 

You took your blazer hanging from Chanyeol’s chair and made your way out from that café. You were quite relieved the both of them didn’t follow you but at the same time, you felt the need to rant. So you took out your phone and dialed your best friend’s number. Now that you think about it, it’s been a while since you and Yeseo hung out. You were too busy dealing with Chanyeol and Kyungsoo.

 

At the second ring, your best friend picked up.

 

“It’s about time you called me! Where have you been girl? It’s like you’ve moved to another planet or something!”

 

You laughed, a warm feeling inside of you while you heard her voice.

 

“Relax Yeseo, I’m still on Earth. Do you have time today? Wanna go to the mall and catch up?”

 

Without even hesitating for a second, Yeseo agreed and the both of you planned to meet at the mall near the area.

 

The moment you were in her sight, she tackled you down with a tight bear hug. You had to cling your arms around her so that you wouldn’t fall backwards. You heard her giggle with glee in your ear and you couldn’t help but smile as well. The two of you broke the hug and she automatically linked her arm with yours and the both of you started walking.

 

“It’s been ages since you’ve called me to hung out. You know how angry I was for you ditching me at the movies the other time?”

 

You shrugged. “So what, at least you got to spend some alone time with that uh what’s his name... Jongup.”

 

Yeseo scoffed and rolled her eyes. “It’s Jongin actually. The both of us broke up.” She said flatly.

 

You turned to her. “Already? When?”

 

“I don’t know, maybe three days after that?”

 

You didn’t know what to say. It was true that her relationships didn’t really last but three days was too fast!

 

“Who broke it off?” You asked cautiously. You knew it must be the guy because that always happened to her. The guys in her relationships would always be the one to break it off first.

 

“It was him. But I don’t fret about it much. He was too young for me anyway. I should’ve seen it coming.” She waved it off like it was no big deal. But you could tell from her face how she was still affected by it, so you decided to cheer her up.

 

“Okay, okay, let’s forget about that Jongup-“

 

“Jongin.” She giggled.

 

“Yeah Up, In, whatever, close enough. How about you and me do some shopping today? My treat.” You smiled at her.

 

Being such a shopaholic, her eyes lit up instantly. “I hope you brought enough because I am going to splurge!” She squealed in excitement.

 

Even though you were worried she’d wipe your whole week of allowance clean, which actually shouldn’t matter because of you being rich and all, you were happy to be able to comfort your best friend.

 

Yeseo was the only closest friend you have. She was the one that knows all of your secrets. She was the one that you always called whenever you had things on your mind that you want to talk about, even if it was at 4AM in the morning. Well, yeah, Yeseo does look like those typical teenage girls who talks about nothing else but boys, clothes, movies. But she’s actually very intellectual.

That was why her dad wanted her to start training for the company early. She didn’t mind of course. She loved the idea of business, or anything else that has got to do with money. Being someone who has a tactful mind as hers, any company would be lucky to have her. Which actually reminded you of something.

 

“Hey, when are you going back to the States?”

 

She glared at you and a pout formed on her lips. “You want to get rid of me so soon Hae Ra? How could you?”

 

You sighed and elbowed her ribcage playfully. “I just wanted to know how much time left I get to spend with you drama queen.” You shook your head and smiled.

 

“I leave in about a week.” She said before gracefully sashaying into an expensive clothing store. You gulped, knowing that she would definitely buy the first expensive and stylish outfit she sees.

 

“A week? That’s fast. I thought you’d stay here for like a month.”

 

Yeseo shrugged as she browsed through a selection of fancy looking blouses, occasionally taking them out from the rack and putting it against herself. “It’s already been a month Hae Ra. You were just too busy to notice.”

 

Ouch.

 

You suddenly felt guilty for not being with your best friend, especially after she broke up with that dark skinned dude. You bit your lower lip, thinking that it was better If you just kept quiet and let your best friend splurge your money to her heart’s content. You owed her.

 

After a few hours of following Yeseo from store to store, the two of you finally sat down in a small café, both your feet felt numb after all the walking. When your orders arrived, Yeseo’s eyes widened as she noticed you were drinking Caramel Latte.

 

“Since when do you drink this kind of stuff? You’d always have juice when we come here.” She said, eyeing you.

 

“Oh, a friend introduced it to me. It’s pretty good to be honest.”

 

Yeseo raised her eyebrows and leaned in closer to you. “Hold on a minute. You mean to say that you actually made a friend? Wait, let me guess, it’s that tall hyperactive dude isn’t it?” she said, obviously very curious about your social life.

 

“First of all, I do have friends okay? I’m not a loser. And secondly, why must you assume it’s Chanyeol who introduced me the latte?”

 

Yeseo shot a look at you while folding her arms and you sighed.

 

“Okay fine yeah, it’s him. He introduced it to me.”

 

With a satisfied look on her face, Yeseo smirked and took a sip from her vanilla latte. “So you guys are close?”

 

“What? No, he just likes to follow me around, that’s all.” You shrugged, avoiding eye contact with her. You didn’t know why you felt your cheeks heat up though.

 

“Just likes to follow you around? So, he likes you?” Yeseo pressed further.

 

“What?! Pfft please, I have been nothing but mean to that dork, there’s no way he’d like me. Oh, how’s your drink?” You tried to wave her off by changing the subject and took a nervous sip of your drink. But of course, you always failed to do so when it comes to Yeseo. That girl is way too smart to be tricked.

 

“So, you like him?”

 

You almost choked to your death. Seeing the look on your face, Yeseo burst into fits of laughter. She had one hand clutched to her stomach and the other was covering so that she would spit all her coffee at me. After you managed to swallow your drink, you glared at her.

 

“I do not like him okay? We’re just friends that’s all.”

 

Yeseo wiped a tear from her eyes. “Are you sure?”

 

You nodded. “He’s not my type anyway. All he ever does is annoy me.”

 

Your best friend raised her eyebrows. “Oh really? And you have a type of guy you like?”

 

Again you nodded, not sure why your best friend was suddenly going all CSI on you. Yeseo leaned in towards you and rested her arms on the table. “I’m guessing that person must be rich?”

 

You decided to play along with her. Besides, two can play at this game. “Of course! The guy I like must have a status in the society.” You joked.

 

“And, he has to be good looking?”

 

“Yeap, like a face that was made and polished by God himself.” You kept in your laughter.

 

“Good at swimming?” Yeseo smirked.

 

“Definitely.” You were starting to get curious as to why Yeseo was suddenly so interested in you that it was starting to get scary.

 

Just what is she playing at?

 

“Someone like…the son of the CEO of Crown Confectionery?”

 

“Yes- Wait what? WhATT?!”

 

Holy cheeseballs how does she know about Kyungsoo?! Wait, I have a feeling this must be my mother’s doing. She must’ve told Yeseo’s dad and he told her? Well great.

 

“So you do like someone. And that someone is apparently Mr Do Kyungsoo.” She smirked.

 

“No, no, no, you got it wrong. I don’t like him okay? We’re just friends. And who told you about him anyway? I’m guessing it’s your dad?” You asked.

 

“What? No, not my dad. Kyungsoo did. Oh yeah, which reminds me. Kyungsoo and I were friends back in California.”

 

Oh hell no.

 


 

[A/N] I am so sorry for not updating! i just started my intern and I only spend like 3 hours each day at home and I didn't have time to update! I just barely managed to finish this chapter though but it's a little too draggy. Because I just realized that I left Hae Ra's best friend out from the story for too long.