Chapter 26

Like Water

Chapter 26

 

 

“Okay class, I have an announcement to make.” Mr Kris said and everyone stopped talking and paid attention to the front of the class.

 

You nudged the sleeping Chanyeol beside you, who slowly fluttered his eyes open and lifted his head. He yawned and stretched his long arms above him while at the same time, fixing his messy hair. A small pool of drool was visible on his table but you ignored it and shifted your gaze to Mr Kris.

 

Once he had gotten everyone’s attention, he began to speak.

 

“Now as you all know, this year is your final year. And in order for you to graduate, you’d all have to do well for your final exams.”

 

A few of the students nodded their head in agreement, which included you. Chanyeol just rested his head on his hands and tried his best not to fall asleep again.

 

“Looking from your mid-term tests results, the school thinks that it might be hard for some of you to do so. Thus, we have come up with a decision to help all of you graduate easily; and that is to participate or be a member of a club in the school, each and every one of you. And here’s the best part; it’s compulsory.”

 

The students in the class started to make whiny noises to show disagreement. You did too. You were already in your final year, and you were doing quite well in regards to your studies, so why the heck did you have to be a member of a stupid club in the school? You didn’t even know what kind of clubs the school has.

 

Seeing the upset faces of the students seemed to satisfy Mr Kris and he just smirked before dismissing the class for lunch. The students started move out from the class, eager to get to the cafeteria and also discuss which clubs they wanted to enter together. You grabbed your lunchbox and milk, and headed up to the rooftop. Chanyeol followed suit behind you.


“So, what are you going to join? To be honest, I don’t even know the school had clubs.” Chanyeol laughed while he chewed on his lunch.

 

You sighed and shrugged your shoulders. “Me either. Ugh, this is such a drag. I’m doing fine with my studies. Why did they have to make it compulsory? Stupid school.” You grumbled and took a sip of your milk.

 

Chanyeol looked at you and suddenly took out a piece of paper from his school jacket. You looked at him with a confused expression before eyeing the paper.

 

“What’s that?”

 

“Some students were giving put flyers to the seniors in the hallway just now. You were too oblivious to notice them so I took one for us. It seems to be a list of all the clubs in the school. We can pick one together if you like.”

 

He offered the paper to you and you hesitantly looked at it. Your eyes widened at the number of clubs listed. How were there that many clubs in the school, and you didn’t even know or even heard about them? Your eyes scanned through the paper, trying to find at least one item to be appealing.

 

Judo Club; too tiring.
Chess Club; too boring.
Cheerleading; too preppy.

And plus, the girls in the school are kinda your enemies.

 

You let out a frustrated moan and tossed the paper back to Chanyeol. “I don’t even know what to pick. All of them don’t seem appealing to me. What about you? What are you going to pick?”

 

Chanyeol examined the list while his eyebrows made a slight frown while he concentrated.

 

“Hmm, I actually thought of just joining whatever is it you wanted to join.” He smiled cheekily at you.

 

You scoffed and rolled your eyes. “You’re being such a pest, you know that? For once, try to do something that doesn’t involve me? What do you like?” You asked him.

 

Honestly, you wanted to be in the same club as him. You weren’t really on good terms with anyone else in the school and you’re sure none of the clubs would want to accept you. Chanyeol was the only person you’d considered closest to a friend. So you were hoping he’d pick a club first and then you’d join it with him. You looked at him with hopeful eyes, when he placed the list on the floor.

 

“I like music, so I guess I’ll join the Song Composing Club. What about you?”

 

You stared at him, feeling dumbfounded.

 

Song Composing Club? Oh hell no. I can’t even read musical notes, let alone carry a tune. There is no way I am going to join some stupid music club. Looks like you’re on your own for this one Hae Ra.

 

You sighed and took a look at the list once more. Just t then, something caught your eye at the bottom of the list. Written there, in a cursive font, was ‘Swimming Club’. It was like the heavens had seen your despair and had bestowed a gift to you. You smiled and looked at Chanyeol who was looking at you.

 

“I think I finally know what I want to join.”


 

School had ended but the seniors were supposed to stay behind and proceed to the clubs they intend to join for a briefing. Chanyeol had gone off to the music room before you, even though at first he was hesitant to leave you behind. But with your constant death stares and threats, you managed to shoo him away. You then made your way to the back of the school building, where the sports complex was. The swimming pool was located right beside it.

 

When you reached the located destination where it said the briefing for the Swimming Club would be held, you were quite surprised to find it…empty. You furrowed your eyebrows and walked around the pool towards the office and changing rooms to see if there was anyone present. To your dismay, you found that you were the only one in the area.

 

“Hello?” you called out but nobody replied. You sighed and folded your arms. “Where the heck is everyone? Did they die or something?”

 

“Nope, they’re all here.”

 

Just then a voice from behind you made your heart jump in shock and you turned around to see a smirking Kyungsoo, standing behind you. You let out a sigh of relief and placed your hand on your chest.

 

“Jeez, you scared me! What are you doing here anyway?” You glared at him.

 

Kyungsoo chuckled and placed his bag on an empty bench. That was when you noticed he was not in his school uniform but instead in a sleeveless white hoodie and black shorts. He was even wearing slippers instead of shoes. Kyungsoo noticed you staring at him and chuckled.

 

“Now, now. I know I’m good looking but all that staring is making me nervous Hae Ra.” He teased.

 

You rolled your eyes and let out a sarcastic laugh. “Ha. Ha. Very funny. You still haven’t answered my question though.”

 

He smiled and took out a clipboard and a pen from his bag. “Didn’t you hear? We’re supposed to have a briefing for the clubs today. Come on Hae Ra, didn’t you pay attention in class? I’m very disappointed in you.” He teased again and this time you lifted your hand as though to hit him and he laughed.

 

You sighed and folded your arms. “So I’m guessing you’re joining the swimming club too? Anyway, why aren’t you in your uniform? It’s only a briefing.”

 

He shook his head and waved his pen in front of your face. “My dear Hae Ra, I’m already part of the swimming club. I’m the President of the club actually. You’re here for the briefing while I conduct the briefing.” He smirked.

 

Your jaw dropped. That explains the outfit. But how was he the president?

 

Kyungsoo nodded his head, as though he heard your thoughts and offered you to seat on the bench while he stood in front of you.

 

“You see, there was no Swimming Club. I happen to be the founder when I entered this school a few months ago. Apparently, the previous swimming club was a total failure, people only wanted to join and host pool parties and stuff so the school had to shut it down. Thanks to the school map you gave me on my first day of school, I managed to find this little sanctuary and thanks to my awesome convincing skills and good looks, I managed to get permission from the school to reopen the club and this time, only for those who has passion for it.” He said and stood triumphantly.

 

You nodded your head as you slowly processed the whole thing. Honestly, you were quite happy that he was able to convince the school. If it weren’t for him, you wouldn’t be able to find a club to join. And the fact that he was going to be in the same club, it meant that you had someone else you knew in the club and you wouldn’t have to worry about the other members. Wait…other members…..

 

“Where are the other members then? Don’t tell me you’re the only one.” You looked at him.

 

Kyungsoo nodded and wrote something on the clipboard he was holding. “Oh, I’m not the only one. As of today, you’re part of the club too, so that makes the two of us. Great! Full attendance, I guess I should start the briefing.” He placed the clipboard down and placed his hands on his hips.

 

“What do you mean full attendance? There can’t be only the two of us right? You have got to be kidding me!” You said in disbelief. But Kyungsoo just shook his head.

 

“Nope, I’m not kidding. It is just the two of us. Oh, it seemed that I forgot to tell you. I recently did a survey on the students and it turned out that most of them aren’t really into swimming unless it’s a pool party or no training is involved so…I guess only you are interested then. That’s enough talk for now, I need to brief you about the club.” He said and began listing down the rules and regulations of the Swimming Club.


“Remember to bring your swimming gear for training or else, you’ll be punished severely. Thank you and I’ll see you at your first training.” He concluded and finally dismissed you. You could tell he felt a little bit triumphant and accomplished and just rolled your eyes.

 

You quickly stood up and grabbed your bag. You looked at your watch and noticed that you only have a little time left to get to the café and start your shift. You were supposed to meet Chanyeol at the school gates in five more minutes so that the both of you could walk to the café together. Just before you left, Kyungsoo called out to you.

 

“Are you going home? Want to go home together? My car will be here in a few minutes, I could ask them to send you home as well if you don’t mind.”

 

He’s doing it again; that bipolar thing where he’s cocky at moment and thoughtful the next. Is he always like that?

 

You shook your head and flatly rejected his offer. “I’m sorry but thanks, I have somewhere else I need to be right now and I’m going to be late if you keep talking to me.” You pointed to your watch to show that you were rushing.

 

He looked at you and nodded his head. “Oh, okay. I’m sorry for holding you up. I’ll see you tomorrow then.” He said and grabbed his things before disappearing into the tiny office at the side of the pool.

 

You sighed and clutched your bag. From the look on his face, you could tell that he was a little upset with you but you didn’t have a choice. You really had somewhere else to go. You shook the thoughts from your head and hurried towards the school gates where Chanyeol was already waiting for you.

 

The moment his eyes landed on you, his face lit up and he waved his long arms. Somehow a part of you felt like you missed his presence. It was the first time that you decided to do something that required the both of you to separate and you felt relieved that you would be spending the rest of the day with him again.

 

Is this what it feels like to be comfortable with someone? To be friends? But how come the things I’m feeling aren’t the same as when I’m with Yeseo? She’s my friend too. We’re basically sisters.

 

The thought kept bothering you as you got closer and closer to where Chanyeol was waiting for you diligently. You and Yeseo had been friends for as long as you could remember, but you don’t mind being apart from her even for a few years. But why did you feel a little empty inside when Chanyeol wasn’t beside you?

 

You didn’t know what you were feeling but somehow, you didn’t seem to hate it. In fact, you kind of liked the familiar feeling. You looked up and see a smiling Chanyeol, his sleeves were rolled up to his elbows, his hair was a little messy but it still looked good and that small dimple appeared at the side of his cheeks again.

 

You looked at him and started to wonder when was the time when you felt as though you didn’t want to part with him, not even for a minute.

 


[A/N] I'm so sorry for not updating anything last week, I had my wisdom tooth extracted. And I was on vacation for the whole week in Malaysia and it was ahrd for me to get a decent Wifi connection. 

Anyway, while I was on my vacation, I read the news of Baekhyun and Taeyeon being in a relationship and you know what? I SHIP THEM. I mean, she is his ideal type and and the both of them have quite a few similarities; both are small-sized, are talented singers, and dorky. I really wish them the best and hope they'll last long. 

And to the fans that don't really agree to their relationship, I suggest that you guys should just try and accept it. What's more important than the happiness of your idols? I must admit my heart did break a little when I found out about it even though he isn't my bias but these things were meant to happen anyway. It's not like they're gonna remain single throughout their whole idol life right? And enough hate on the both of them. Instead, congratulate them :)