Chapter 14

Like Water

Chapter 14

 

 

“I heard they’re closing the swimming complex soon.” Kyungsoo said, as he entered your car.

 

His face was serious as he looked at you.

 

“Really? Why is that?”

 

“I don’t know. Rumors said that they were going to build a new mall there. Well, it can’t be helped. That place was old and not a lot of people go there too. It was kind of expected.” He shrugged.

 

You nodded and sighed.

 

That . Well, at least I got to swim in it once.

 

“When is it closing?”

 

“I don’t know. Maybe mid-year?”

 

You nodded again.

 

A few minutes later, you’ve arrived in school.

 

“Catch you later. Don’t forget about our date today.” Kyungsoo smirked and went out of the car.

 

“It’s not a date!” You shouted back but he already slammed the car door and ran towards his group of friends that was waiting for him at the gates. You clicked your tongue in annoyance.

 

Mr Lee went to your side of the car and opened the door for you. You sighed and went out, slinging your bag over your shoulders.

 

“I can open the door-“

 

“Yourself. Yes I know Young Master, but like I’ve said countless of times, it is my duty. Besides, I find it a joy to open the door for you.” He smiled.

 

You chuckled and shook your head.

 

“And it looks like someone else finds it a joy to tease you.” He added cheekily.

 

You raised your eyebrows. “Who?”

 

“Master Kyungsoo seems fond of you.” He smiled.

 

You scoffed and waved your hands. “He’s just an annoying brat.”

 

Mr Lee chuckled and nodded his head. “Yes he is. And I’d honestly have to say that I do prefer your tall friend over there. He seems…interesting.” Mr Lee gestured his gaze behind you. You turned to find Chanyeol flashing his pearly whites at you while waiting at the gates.

 

“He’s just like a bored puppy. But I have to agree with you on that Mr Lee. He does seem interesting.” You chuckled.

 

Mr Lee squinted his eyes while looking at Chanyeol and raised his eyebrows.

 

“I’m not sure about you Young Master but, that boy seems a little familiar, don’t you think?” He said, while examining Chanyeol.

 

You shrugged, not knowing what to say because honestly, you had the same thoughts. It was just that most of your memories, especially from when you were still a child, were foggy. It was hard for you to recall anything. You bid goodbye to Mr Lee and walked towards the gate. Chanyeol automatically joins by your side.

 

“Goooooooooood morning Hae Ra! Did you miss me? Of course you did, everyone would miss an awesome and good looking and funny, and chic, and cool, and flawless person like me.” He said confidently as the both of you walked down the hall towards your locker. You just rolled your eyes and smiled since you were already used to his nonsense. But then the image you saw of him that night came across your mind.

 

He was crying wasn’t he? I wonder why. Should I ask him? But…he seems okay today. And I don’t want to spoil the mood. Eh what am I doing worrying about others. This is so not like me.

 

You decided not to ask him anyway and collected your books for the next lesson.

 

The both of you entered class and sat at your desks. Since the teacher was not in class yet, that meant there was still some time for you to look through your notes so that you’d be one step ahead of the class. Actually, you wanted to be one step ahead of Chanyeol. Losing him to that test had put a scratch on your pride and you’re determined to win it back.

 

Chanyeol noticed how focused you were reading your notes and smirked.

 

“Looks like someone is trying their best.”

 

“Of course. I had my guard down on the first test and underestimated you.” You replied, without tearing your eyes away from your book.

 

He chuckled and rested his head on the table, but still kept his gaze on you.

 

“I can help you if you want. Hey, what about I tutor you? It’d be fun! We can study together at the café today! And you can’t reject since we’ve made a deal. Oh my God, Chanyeol that’s a brilliant idea. Why are you so smart?” He praised himself and patted his own shoulder.

 

“About that, I have an appointment today.” You said monotonously.

 

Chanyeol’s body shot up straight as he sat on his chair and examined you.

 

“What do you mean an appointment? But you promised you’ll come to the café for a month!” He whined.

 

“Relax, I’ll still be at the stupid café today. Except not with you…well, you could join us if you want to but I doubt you’ll want to-“

 

“Wait, wait, wait. ‘Us’? What do you mean by ‘us’? Who else is coming to the café?” he questioned you.

 

“Kyungsoo. But like I said, I’ll still be at the café with him so ‘m not really breaking our deal-“

 

“Why him out of all people?” He said out loud, startling the rest of the class who turned their heads to look at the both of you.

 

Just then Mr Kris entered the class and the class president gave the command for everyone to stand up and greet him. You sighed and closed your book before standing up. Chanyeol stood up as well but the look of annoyance and frustration on his face was still there. After the greeting, Mr Kris told everyone to open up their textbooks and proceeded with the lesson. Chanyeol sighed and leaned closer to you.

 

“We’ll continue our conversation during lunch.” He said in a low tone before proceeding to do what he always does in class, sleep.

 

You shook your head and tried your best to pay attention.

 

Looks like it’ll be extra noisy today during lunch…just great.

 

“WHY IS MR FANCYPANTS COMING TO THE CAFÉ WITH US?!”  Chanyeol erupted the moment the both of you stepped on to the rooftop. He threw his arms up in the air and let out a frustrated sigh.

 

You rolled your eyes and rubbed your wrist. It was hurting since Chanyeol grabbed and pulled you out of class the moment the bell rang.

 

.

 

“Like I said, I owed him something since he did something…well…nice for me. And I don’t like it when I’m indebted to someone so I thought we could just hang out together for ONE day. Geez, relax will you?” You looked at Chanyeol who was now lying on the cold floor, his arm across his head covering his eyes.

 

You sat beside him, leaning against the wall and took out the lunchbox the maids had prepared for you. You opened it and took out the utensils before digging in. All that explaining had made you hungry and thirsty. You mentally cursed yourself for leaving behind your soya bean milk in class since Chanyeol didn’t even wait for you to take it out from your bag.

 

You sighed and decided to take note to buy some drink from the vending machine on your way back to class later. Not wanting to waste any more time, you took a bite out of your lunch.

 

“What exactly did he do for you huh? Seriously Hae Ra, all this mystery and vague answers are making me nervous.” Chanyeol sat up and look at you intently.

 

You raised your eyebrows. “Why are you even nervous? What are you thinking?”

 

Chanyeol pouted and folded his arms. “I don’t know! Did he buy you lunch? Or helped you with your homework? Or maybe...never mind, you’re right. Why am I nervous? Pffht, you don’t have to tell me.” He said and took out his own lunch and started to dig in.

 

You looked at him suspiciously and decided it was fun to for a bit since you were bored.

 

“Don’t tell me…are you, jealous?”

 

He choked on his food and rice from his mouth flew everywhere.

 

Bingo.

 

Chanyeol coughed while continuing pounding his fist on his chest to ease the pain. Tears started to collect in his eyes and his whole face was red.

 

“What?! Jealous-Oh please, me? Jealous of that fancypants? Come on I would never.” He tried to force out a fake laugh.

 

“Then you wouldn’t have any problems joining us? Cause it’d be better if the both of you talked. I’ll jjust sit there and mind my own business. Dealing with people is such a pain for me.” You said.

 

Chanyeol was at lost for words, and since he didn’t say anything after that, you took it that he agreed with Kyungsoo following the both of you to the café that evening. He pouted and opened the carton of milk he bought before school. Choking on his food had made his throat feel like it was on fire.

 

You watched as he gulped down his milk, feeling of envy and angst filled you. You were dying of thirst at that moment. Your throat was super dry and you haven’t had a single sip of water from the moment you stepped out of your house. You checked your watched and knowing that you had a few minutes left before break ended; you closed the lid of your lunchbox.

 

Looks like I won’t be able to finish my lunch, since I need to buy something to drink. And it’s all because of that jerk.

 

Chanyeol looked up in surprise at you.

 

“Yah, where are you going? You haven’t even finished your lunch.”

 

You shot him a look. “Well, because someone just had to pull me out of class right after the bell rang for break just now, I wasn’t able to get my milk from my bag. So I’m leaving early now. I’m going to buy something to drink while there’s still time left.” You said and stood up.

 

But just then, he pulled you back down and an opened carton of milk appeared before you. Chanyeol was offering you his milk.

 

“You can have mine. Milk with bibimbap isn’t a good combination anyway.” He said, but he averted his gaze from you.

 

“But you already drank some.” You said monotonously.

 

He turned to look at you, his face annoyed. “Just take it will you? Geez, it’s not like I have some kind of infectious disease or something it’s just milk!” He shoved the milk in your hands, but was careful not to spill any. “Besides, it was my fault that you couldn’t get your drink.”

 

You shrugged, somehow a little touched by his gesture and accepted the milk. He seemed pleased afterwards and became his usual annoying self. You drank the milk wholeheartedly, thankful that you could finally relieve your dry throat. While you were drinking, Chanyeol leaned in to whisper something in your ear.

 

“You do realize that we’re indirectly kissing each other right now.”

 

Milk sprayed everywhere from your mouth and Chanyeol laughed out loud while clapping his hands like a seal in a zoo.

 

Irritating bastard.