Chapter 11

Like Water

Chapter 11

 

 

“Don’t forget to study for your first test of this semester this coming Friday. Especially you, Park Chanyeol.” Mr Kris pointed to the tall boy seated at the back of the class.

 

Chanyeol giggled and nodded his head in embarrassment. The other kids in the class scoffed and shook their heads, which included you too. Mr Kris sighed and shook his head while he collected his things before leaving the class.

 

The minute he left, everyone got into their cliques, dragging tables and chairs near each other, talking, gossiping with each other before the next class start. Chanyeol, as usual, turned to face you and started talking about whatever that came into his mind.

 

Seriously, how can he have something to talk about all the time?

 

And you too, as usual, flipped open your books and read through the topics that was going to be discussed in the next class.

 

“…seriously, I swear he does not see my potential and passion for his class. I am gonna own that test so hard, he’s going to beg me to teach the class instead.” Chanyeol said cockily as he placed his feet on the table and leaned back in his chair.

 

“Passion my …” You mumbled as you flipped through the pages of your book.

 

Chanyeol raised his eyebrows and leaned in to you. “Yah, I’m serious. I was supposed to graduate before you but then…I just didn’t feel like it and purposely failed the final exams. Besides, if I hadn’t been held back, I wouldn’t have met you right?” He smiled cheekily to you.

 

You put down your pencil and lift your gaze from the genetics book you were reading from.

 

“You got held back a year? Wait…you’re older than me?” You furrowed your eyebrows.

 

Chanyeol sighed and rolled his eyes. “That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you silly. I am older than you. Wait, are you saying I looked young?” He placed his thumb and index finger under his chin and a pose.

 

“I didn’t say that. I just thought you were a few months older than me, that’s all. Not a whole year older.”  You shrugged and went back to reading your notes.

 

“Guess you need to study hard again this year too if you want to graduate.” You said.

 

Chanyeol smirked and went back to his previous position, this time his hands behind his head.

 

“Oh please, that’s such an easy thing to do.”

 

“Oh yeah?” You raised your eyebrows.

 

“Mmhmm…” He closed his eyes and smiled to himself.

 

“Okay then…if you get first in class for the upcoming test this Friday, I’ll accompany you to that stupid café for a week. Deal?” You challenged him.

 

Chanyeol immediately opened his eyes and smiled widely at you.

 

“How about a month?”

 

You shrugged and folded your arms.

 

“Yeah whatever, a month.” You agreed.

 

It’s not like he’s really going to ace that test anyway. He doesn’t even pay attention in class. This is easy.

 

“But, if you don’t, then you’d have to leave me alone for a month. Deal?”

 

Chanyeol pursed his lips into a thin line and thought hard about it before looking at you, his face determined.

 

“Deal.”

 

“Yah, why must you drag me?! I can walk by myself you know!” You screamed as you tried to pull your arm away from the gigantic freak in front of you.

 

“Nope, not going to happen. You made a deal remember? Now you’ll have to follow me to the café for one month!” He goofily laughed and continued to drag you.

 

You scowled at him from behind. Who actually knew that he did got first place for the test? The whole class couldn’t hide how flabbergasted they were. Who knew that jerk, who didn’t even pay attention to a single lesson in class, could get full marks…yes, FULL MARKS, on the test?

 

Was that even possible?! He must’ve cheated! And the worst part is that I got second place? He’s better than me? That’s so embarrassing!

 

You sighed and covered your face with your other free hand. Chanyeol noticed and smirked at you.

 

“Didn’t think I could really do it huh? I’ve been held back a year, wait no…I purposely wanted to be held back a year. Why? So that I could meet you. So of course all the materials we’re studying right now, I’ve studied them before. So that test? It was a piece of cake.”

 

You looked at him. “Wait, you purposely got held back a year just so that you could meet me? But why? I don’t even know you!” You said, looking perplexed.

 

Chanyeol just smiled and shook his head. “Nope, you know me, it’s just that you can’t remember right now. But don’t worry, soon you will, I know it.” He said confidently.

 

You let out an exasperated sigh and gave up.

 

Well, sometimes he does look familiar to me. But every time I try to remember, my mind goes blank.

 

“Today is my off day so we can just hang out in the café okay?”

 

“Why must it be the café? Don’t you have other places to go to?”

 

“It’s like a second home to me. Besides, I don’t think you’d like it if we went elsewhere right? Wouldn’t that be more troublesome for you than to stay indoors, in the café?” He looked at you.

 

You shot him a look.

 

This dude’s right. Oh well, better than going to the bowling alley again I guess. , I hate it when he’s right.

 

“I’ll just sit by myself at the corner there-“

 

“Excuse me, by yourself? Not today young lady. It’s my day off so I’ll be with you the whole afternoon!” Chanyeol chirped.

 

You rolled your eyes as he pushed you to the table right beside the big window.

 

“Yah, I don’t want to sit here! I wanna sit at the back!” You protested and was about to make your way to the back of the café but then a strong pair of arms pushed you down in your seat and he sat in front of you.

 

“You agreed to come with me to the café for a month, which also means whenever you’re in this café, you’ll listen to me, okay?”

 

“What- no- that wasn’t part of the rules-“

 

“Well, well, well, what do we have here?”

 

You stopped talking and turned to face the person standing next to your table.

 

Kyungsoo, together with two other guys from your school, were standing there looking all arrogant and cocky. You sighed and rubbed your temples.

 

What the hell is he doing here?

 

“I see our Hae Ra is all grown up huh? Going on dates and everything?” Kyungsoo smirked and the other two guys standing beside him chuckled as though he just said something funny.

 

Chanyeol, who was controlling his patience, looked back and forth between the two of you. You could tell how agitated he was by the way his jaw became tensed. 

 

You tried your best to ignore the little pests beside your table and tried to get Chanyeol’s attention by staring intensely at him.

 

Look at me you giant! Come on, can’t you see I’m trying to get your attention here?!

 

You thought maybe if you kicked his leg under the table he would notice you, but unfortunately, you were cursed with short legs and they couldn’t seem to reach his.

 

“Why are the both of you so quiet? Aww, are we disturbing your date? Should we leave you guys? But you know Hae Ra, your mother told me to keep an eye on you.” Kyungsoo continued to annoy you.

 

“Look here buddy-“

 

“Kyungsoo-ssi, can I speak to you for a moment?”

 

Chanyeol was about to blow his top but you managed to intervene just in time by standing up from your seat. He looked at you, clueless as to why you suddenly pulled Kyungsoo out of the café. He was about to follow you but Kyungsoo’s friends were already blocking his way. In the end, he puffed his cheeks and sat back down, while folding his arms. He could however, see you and Kyungsoo from the window.

 

You pulled Kyungsoo with you and immediately let go of his arm the minute you stepped out from the café. Kyungsoo rubbed his arm, sore from the force you used.

 

“What’s the big idea? Wait, are you…mad at me?” He looked at you with eyes as big as saucers.

 

You scoffed and folded your arms.

 

Is he really asking me that question now?

 

“Are you playing dumb with me right now Kyungsoo-ssi?” You looked at him in the eye.

 

“Woah, woah Hae Ra, chill will you? I was just messing with you.” He laughed as though it was no big deal.

 

You were really in no mood for this.

 

“What are you doing here Kyungsoo-ssi? Do you find joy by messing with my life? Huh? Does it make you feel good?” You asked him.

 

He raised his hands to calm you down.

 

“Really Hae Ra, I was just messing with you. I don’t get why you’re so mad at me. Can’t you take a joke?”

 

When he said it like that, it got you wondering. Why were you so bothered by it in the first place? He was just being a douche. All you could do was to just annoy him. But why didn’t you? Why were you so agitated? And that’s when you realized something.

 

Could it be because of the giant? I…didn’t want him to get upset? Ha…what was I thinking? Hae Ra, you’re thinking about other people’s feelings now? No, I didn’t do it for that derp, I did it for myself. That’s right. What if Chan-derp caused a scene back there? That’d be embarrassing for me.

 

Kyungsoo sighed and rubbed the back of his neck.

 

“Listen, I’m sorry, okay? I didn’t mean to make you angry. It really was a joke.”

 

You looked at him in surprise. He seemed really sincere in his apology. And you noticed he was even reaching out his hand to you for a handshake. You almost laughed.

 

“Kyungsoo-ssi, are you…bipolar or something?” You asked.

 

Kyungsoo looked at you and blinked his huge eyes. “Excuse me?”

 

“I mean, one minute you’re a douchebag and in a blink of an eye you suddenly seem like…a nice person.” You mumbled the last part. Thank God he didn’t really notice what you said.

 

“I just don’t like seeing you upset okay? Especially when it’s me who made you feel that way.” He blurted out.

 

You just stared at him.

 

This guy is definitely bipolar.

 

You sighed and shook your head. “It’s okay, you don’t have to apologize Kyungsoo-ssi. I overreacted. You’re right, it was only a joke.”  You looked at him reassuringly.

 

He smiled at you and somehow, it made you smile a little too. Note, only a little. It wasn’t that obvious.

 

He looks much better when he smiles like that. Less…douche-like.

 

“Oh, you were about to smile there, didn’t you? Seriously Hae Ra, you should definitely try to smile more. It suits your face.”

 

“Stop sprouting nonsense Kyungsoo-ssi. I’m going back inside if we’re done here.”

 

You were about to walk away when he pulled your arm.

 

“Why do you keep using formalities with me? Kyungsoo would do just fine Hae Ra.” He smiled at you again.

 

You shrugged and nodded before heading back in.

 

Kyungsoo and his friends left shortly after and you were greeted by a sulking giant.

 

“Stop making that face, you look ten times uglier than you already are.” You said to him as you continued to read through your textbook and chewed on your doughnut.

 

Chanyeol clicked his tongue and leaned forward, resting his head on the back of his hands, elbows propped up on the table.

 

“So, what did you and Mr Fancypants talked about just now?”

 

“Nothing.” You simply stated.

 

Chanyeol pouted, obviously unsatisfied with your answer but he didn’t want to be seen as childish so he decided not to pry further. You noticed his reaction and smiled to yourself, knowing that you managed to annoy him.

 

You noticed how he continued to sulk. He kept looking out of the window and pouting while slowly stirring his hot chocolate which he hasn’t touched ever since it was served fifteen minutes ago. You started to feel bad and closed you textbook.

 

“Aren’t you going to drink that? It’s getting cold.” You pointed to his untouched hot chocolate.

 

Chanyeol just nodded but he kept staring out of the window. You sighed and crossed your arms, thinking about what you should do.

 

“Oh yeah, your friend, what’s his name again? Jongin?” You tried to start a conversation with him.

 

He looked at you, surprised that you were the one starting the conversation this time.

 

“Yeah, what about him?”

 

“I don’t know, is he and Yeseo still together? I haven’t heard anything from her so I thought you would know.”

 

Actually I couldn’t care less about their relationship. I just don’t want to be wasting my time coming to this café and end up reading my textbook instead of actually going home and swim.

 

Chanyeol shrugged and shook his head. “Beats me. I’m not even that close to Kai.”

 

You raised your eyebrows. “Kai?”

 

Chanyeol smiled and nodded his head. “That’s his stage name. Well, his future stage name. He wants to be a dancer and came up with the stage name ‘Kai’ for himself. It’s kind of weird, but I kind of like the name.”

 

You nodded your head.

 

That’s a stupid name.

 

“So, what do you want to be after graduating Hae Ra?” Chanyeol clasped his hands together and stared at you with curious eyes.

 

“I bet you want to be a successful business woman don’t you? Seeing how your family owns the biggest company in Korea-“

 

“I want to be a professional swimmer.” You said as you sipped your caramel latte. It was starting to become your favorite drink at the moment.

 

Chanyeol looked as though he almost fell off his seat.

 

“A professional swimmer? That’s weird. I didn’t think you’d be interested in pursuing that.”

 

“What’s so weird about becoming a professional swimmer? Oh, is it because people like me are supposed to be in business or something much high class than swimming?” You actually felt offended by his reply.

 

“I don’t know, maybe it’s because you rich people-“

 

“There you go again! Why do you keep saying that?” You cut him off.

 

Chanyeol looked at you, surprised by your sudden outburst.

 

“What do you mean? Saying what?”

 

“ ‘You rich people’. Why do you keep saying that? Do you have something against us or something?” You questioned him while crossing your arms.

 

He stared at you for a moment and broke into a fit of laughter.

 

“Listen, it’s not like that, really. I’m one of you guys. Hey, my family owns a really big company. I’m hurt that you didn’t know Hae Ra.” Chanyeol clutched his chest where his heart is to feign hurt.

 

You raised your eyebrows. “Really? Wait a minute…Park Chanyeol…Park…Park- “ Your eyes widened at the sudden realization.

 

He couldn’t be….He doesn’t seem like it though…

 

Chanyeol seemed to notice your expression and nodded while leaning back in his seat. “That’s right, I’m the heir of one of the biggest banking firm in Korea; Park Finance.”

 

You were baffled.

 

This guy? He’s the HEIR of Park Finance? You have got to be kidding me.

 

“I know, I know. You’re thinking, ‘How can a guy like me be an heir to such a wealthy and big company’, right?” He smirked and drank his hot chocolate which was no longer hot.

 

You raised your eyebrows.

 

“Prove it.”

 

He rolled his eyes and took out his wallet.

 

You scoffed.

 

If he’s going to show me how much cash he has in his wallet it doesn’t prove-

 

Your eyes widened and Chanyeol chuckled at your expression. He was showing you his family picture. You could see a younger version of him, another younger boy which didn’t look like Chanyeol at all, a woman whom you assumed would be his mother and right in the middle was Mr Park himself.

 

Holy swiss cheese…He’s definitely the son.


 

[A/N] So sorry for the late update guys! My final submission for my project was this week and I was so busy. So to make it up, I've updated this with a longer chapter^^ BUT, there's another announcement I want to make. My exams are next week which means I won't be able to update much from now on. I am so sorry! I'll try my best to continue the story when I have the time. Just bear with it for a few weeks okay^^? Love you all :)