Chapter 18

Like Water

Chapter 18

 

 

“Are you okay? Were you really sick?” Kyungsoo asked silently as you entered his car and his driver started drive towards school.

 

You couldn’t go to school for week because everyone, especially your mother, had been on high alert regarding your health and suggested that you should rest at home. Really, you felt fine but you didn’t know why everyone in the house was making a huge fuss out of it. Even Mr Lee.

 

“I’m good. Nothing to worry about.” You told Kyungsoo.

 

“I see. Well, that’s good then.” He said, before looking out of the window.

 

You didn’t mean to sound so cold towards him. Honestly, you were getting tired pf everyone worrying about you. You didn’t know why they were so afraid. It’s not like you’ve never fainted before. The first time you ever did was when you first got your period. The cramps were too painful for you to endure and you out. But even then, the people didn’t really seem to worry so much as compared to now. Why was that so?

 

The car reached the school and both of you got out. Without saying anything to each other, the both of you parted ways; him to his usual group of friends, you with Chanyeol who was waiting for you like a puppy at the gates.

 

“Good morning Hae Ra. It’s nice to see you in your uniform again. Because honestly, pink and bunny-patterned pajamas really didn’t suit you.” Chanyeol teased you and you blushed.

 

The whole week while you stayed at home, he’s been coming over to your house to give you notes on the classes you missed. They were his notes though, and you had to admit, you were quite impressed. It was like he really did pay attention in class. And because of that, he’d always see you in your bed, wearing your pajamas. You thought you had managed to cover it up well, but it seemed like your planned failed, seeing how he was teasing you about it.

 

“So I like bunnies and the color pink. So what, big deal.” You mumbled and Chanyeol smiled.

 

“And I don’t have a problem with that. Hey, if you like those kinds of stuff then so be it! But, I just think you could’ve chosen a better design for your pajamas.” He continued to tease you and you couldn’t help but smile a little.

 

Chanyeol’s been to your house for a week,  and you were starting to feel more comfortable around him. You were able to open yourself up a little bit. And by a little bit, you mean just smiling in front of him, even if it’s for a second. Chanyeol had noticed it of course, your change. But he didn’t want to say anything about it, fearing you might revert back to how you were, cold and emotionless. So he had decided to just enjoy this moment.

 

The both of you got to your locker and you noticed how it was wrapped in clear plastic. That was new. Usually, the other kids would just trash your locker and vandalize it with markers or stick gum on it. This time it was clear plastic? What were they planning?

 

Seeing the confused look on your face, Chanyeol spoke up. “Uh, this was my doing.” He looked at you.

 

“You did this? But, what for?”

 

He let out a nervous laugh and rubbed the back of his neck. “Well, the whole week when you were at home, the kids kept…you know?” He asked you. He didn’t have to finish his sentence for you to understand what he was trying to say. Seeing how you were nodding, he continued.

 

“So, I figured that if I were to cover your locker with plastic, they wouldn’t be able to do all those things. And even if they did, it’d be easier for you to remove it. And they can’t remove the plastic since I’ve secured it properly.” He smiled at you.

 

You had to admit, you were touched by him. Nobody in that school ever did something like that for you. The kids who watched you with pity as you scrubbed away the vulgarities scribbled on your locker almost every day during lunch, they just looked at you. They didn’t even offer any help.

 

But Chanyeol, he’s different. He was the first to help you. He was the one that snatched the cloth away from your hand and scrubbed the ink off your locker. He was the one that came up with a solution to the bullying. Well, maybe it won’t really stop the bullying but then again, it made you feel as though you had someone to rely on.

 

“Thanks. But I don’t think this would hold them off forever you know. The kids in this school are smartasses. They’ll figure something out.” You opened your locker, thankful that he was smart enough to make an opening through the plastic for you to do so.

 

“And that’s why I’ll be here for you.” He said, looking at you earnestly.

 

Your hand that was reaching out for your books froze for a moment and you quickly regained yourself and shut your locker.

 

“S-stop sprouting nonsense.” You mumbled and made your way to class.

 

Chanyeol chuckled and hurried to catch up with you. “It’s true though! Ever since that day, when I saw you trying to get those stains of your locker, I made vow to always protect you.”

 

What is he talking about?! Did he hit his head or something?! What an embarrassing thing to say! It’s not like we’re lovers or anything…

 

“Stop, stop, stop. I can’t take any more of your corny talk. It makes me want to puke.” You rolled yours and went to your seat.

 

Chanyeol chuckled and sat beside you. “Okay, okay, I’ll stop. But I know deep down, you’re happy right?”

 

You didn’t answer him. You didn’t want to. Instead, you just opened your books and concentrated on your notes.

 

Stupid .

 

“You’ll stay with me right?”

 

“What?”

 

“Today..you’ll stay with me at the café, right? You won’t leave again?”

 

“What are you talking about, of course I’ll-“ You turned to look at him but was taken aback at how he was looking at you.

 

His cheeky or cocky smile wasn’t showing, and his eyes weren’t smiling. His eyes seemed to hide a deeper meaning to them. Something you can’t quite read but you know it looked sad, and desperate.

 

“…stay.” You managed to complete your sentence. You noticed the way his expression changed instantly and in a second, he was the same old Chanyeol again.

 

“Good, the next time you leave me again, you’d have to accompany me for a year, you got that?” He said, giggling like an elementary school girl and rested his head on the table.

 

You didn’t know why but your hand automatically reached out to his lonely looking back and you were about to touch him but managed to get back your senses.

 

, what was I about to do? Why do I feel so sad…for him?

 

You tried to shake the thoughts out of your head and concentrated on your notes. Fortunately, your homeroom teacher entered at that moment and the lesson started.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

“NOT YOU AGAIN!”

 

Chanyeol’s voice echoed in the air as the both of you went up to the rooftop for you lunch. The both of you didn’t expect anyone else to know about that place but was surprised to see a familiar figure seated at the usual spot you and Chanyeol would sit. It was none other than Kyungsoo.

 

What is he doing here?

 

You raised your eyebrows at him. Chanyeol was already fuming beside you, annoyed to see his ‘rival’ (that’s what he regarded Kyungsoo as, you didn’t know why and didn’t bother to ask) happily eating his lunch and waving his puny hands at the both of you.

 

“What does it look like I’m doing? I’m eating lunch you .” He said cockily.

 

“- Oh you’re going to get it now!” Before Chanyeol could massacre Kyungsoo, you pulled his arm and shook your head.

 

“Forget it. Let’s just eat lunch in the class.” You mumbled to him and your heels.

 

Chanyeol smirked and pulled out his tongue towards Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo, shocked with your actions, dropped his chopsticks and shouted.

 

“Yah! What’s wrong with having lunch together? Aren’t we friends?!” You stopped in your tracks. Just then you remembered Yeseo’s favor and you groaned.

 

Just do it for Yeseo. Do it for the sake of your best friend. The faster you do it, the quicker you’ll be able to get rid of Kyungsoo.

 

Seeing how you turned and walked towards Kyungsoo, Chanyeol’s eyes widened and his hand reached out to you.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?! Let’s go while we have the chance!” He whispered to you.

 

You ignored him and sat beside Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo beamed at you but as soon as he noticed an annoyed looking Chanyeol, who sat down beside you, his face turned sour.

 

“I only wanted Hae Ra to stay. No losers are allowed. You can go sit at the other corner.” He spat at Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol, who was about to give a comeback, stopped when he saw you glaring at him.

 

“Just let him stay will you? Besides, Chanyeol is also my frie-“ You stopped.

 

Friend? Is he? Do you consider him a friend? Well, he did help you a few times, and the both of you had always been together during lunch.

 

 I made vow to always protect you.

 

The words he said echoed in your mind and you quickly shook them away.

 

“He-s like my bodyguard.” You finished your sentence.

 

Kyungsoo seemed surprise at your words but Chanyeol, although a little bit disappointed, was still grinning from ear to ear since you wanted him to stay. By then he already knew how hard it was for you to let people in and to be considered as a bodyguard by you, was already enough at the moment.

 

Kyungsoo sighed, dissatisfied that Chanyeol was joining for lunch. But he couldn’t do anything else. If you wanted him to stay, then there’s no choice but to let him stay. Kyungsoo knew you were close to Chanyeol, but he never expected you to defend Chanyeol. What made him curious was, what was it about Chanyeol that made him bearable for you.

 

For the first few minutes of lunch, the atmosphere was tense. The three of you quietly ate your lunches, with Chanyeol occasionally trying to get your attention by looking at you or asking whether you were thirsty, if he could get you something to drink. He even tried to wipe off the crumbs from the corner of your lips but failed when you slapped his hands away. Kyungsoo just looked at the both of you, silently examining the both of you. You couldn’t bear all the staring and Chanyeol’s constant attempts to get your attention, so you decided to speak.

 

“I heard you and Yeseo were close back in California.”

 

Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows and slowly nodded. “Yeah, the first friend I made over there. She just told me the both of you were best friends. Who would’ve thought, a cold and quiet girl like you would have a best friend.” He smirked. Chanyeol glared at him.

 

You ignored his remark and kept your cool.

 

“What do you think of her?” You asked.

 

“Huh? Hmm, she’s cool I guess.”

 

“Just cool?”

 

Kyungsoo cocked his head to the side. “Erm, yeah. Why?”

 

You shook your head and stopped asking any more questions.

 

This brat is a tough nut to crack.

 

Just then the school bell rang, which meant lessons were about to start soon. The three of you stood up and brushed off the dust from your uniforms.

 

“Say, do you want to come over today after school?” Kyungsoo asked you. You looked at him, startled by his invitation. Just when you were about to answer, Chanyeol took a step forward, shielding you from Kyungsoo.

 

“She has plans today. Actually for the rest of the month. So no, she won’t be coming over.” He said, with his arms crossed over his chest.

 

Kyungsoo chuckled but his expression quickly changed into a death stare. The both of them stood in silence for a while, throwing daggers at in each other in their heads. You sighed and pulled Chanyeol’s arm.

 

“Let’s go, we’ll be late for class. And yeah, sorry Kyungsoo, I’m fully booked.” You said as you dragged Chanyeol towards the stairs. He was still looking at Kyungsoo and stuck out his tongue before leaving the rooftop.

 

For a few minutes, Kyungsoo stood there and he scoffed.

 

Childish bastard.

 


 

[A/N] Funny thing that happened to me this week. I was sandwiched between the sliding doors at the airport because for some reason it couldn't sense me, and because of the shock, I was down with high fever for three days and couldn't go to work. Ha...ha...stupid door.

Anyway, in regards to the Sewol Tragedy that happened in South Korea a few days ago, I'd like to give my condolences to the families involved. It really is very tragic. Imagine, kids my age, our age, being trapped underwater in that ferry for days, with no food, no oxygen. Can't imagine how scared the kids might be feeling. And as for the captain of the ferry, it migh be true that it was his fault the incident occured, but i don't think people should be cursing him to die or hang himself. He deserves no such thing. He is a human too, and humans make mistake. At least now he's been sentenced to jail. That, plus the guilt he feels is already enough for a punishment. 

I just hope they would quicken the progress to lift the ferry, so that the families would be able to see their children again.