Starlight, Moonlight

Eternal

Naeun smoothed her shirt down and asked Luna what the time was. 

"It's 3:30pm. Waeyo?" Luna inquired, standing against a tree.

Naeun gasped and exclaimed, "I promised Jessica unnie that I would be walking home with her today. I have to go, Luna-sshi!" Naeun waved to Luna and ran to look for Jessica. She spotted her with Tiffany, another 3rd year student. 

"Annyeong haseyo sunbae." Naeun bowed to Tiffany. 

Tiffany smiled and said, "Annyeong. You must be Naeun. You're so pretty!" 

"Komapsunida." Naeun blushed. She felt thankful for receiving a compliment from someone so talented. 

"Well see you later, Jess. Annyeong Naeun-sshi!" Tiffany left. 

"Yah, what took you so long?" Jessica demanded. 

"Mianhae, I forgot about meeting you here. Luna-sshi and I were discussing about the correct way to write something and I guess we got carried away." Naeun sheepishly smiled. 

"You're so cute, Naeun." Jessica giggled, and the two headed home.

"So, how's your relationship with Onew oppa?" Naeun wondered.

"It's good. We've argued a bit, but we quickly resolved our conflicts." Jessica sighed. 

"What's wrong, unnie?" Naeun sensed something was wrong, when she noticed Jessica's dull expression and how slouched her shoulders were.

"I'm worried about Krystal." Jessica explained her worry. "She's always talking about Taemin. If Taemin rejects her, she'll be heartbroken." 

"Ne. Don't worry, unnie. I can make sure Taemin likes Krystal." Naeun patted Jessica's shoulder. 

"Komawo. You're a true friend, Naeun-ah. I feel so guilty of never returning favors to you." 

"Ani, don't be like that." Naeun smiled at Jessica's compliment."Anyways, see you tomorrow, unnie. I'll hope for Taemin to like Krystal." 

Naeun's fake smile disappeared as she saw Jessica walk away. 

What am I getting myself into? Naeun thought, as she stepped inside. She dropped her things in her room, only to find her mother sitting on her bed.

"Umma, Annyeong haseyo. What are you doing here?" Naeun questioned. Her mother should've been at work. 

"Ah, Naeun-ah. Come sit. I've invited Sunny and Taemin for dinner today. Is that alright? I'm here selecting what you're wearing for the dinner." Naeun's mother informed, holding up a pink hanbok.

Naeun's face flushed with embarrassment when she saw the hanbok. "Umma, it's just a dinner. Why do I need to wear something so traditional?" 

"Arasso. Eunji complained about that, too. I'm going downstairs." Naeun's mother said, taking the hanbok with her. 

"Aiish. Why is Taemin coming? Now, I have to face more awkward moments with him. Ani, I should tell him about Krystal's good habits." Naeun said to herself. She was accepting her fate of not being with Taemin anymore. Deep inside, she still wished for Taemin to be hers, but the thought was pushed away. 

To Naeun, friendship should be more cherished than love, because it lasts longer. 

~~~~

"Taemin, we have to go to omeonim's house for dimmer today. Make sure you're dressed nicely." Sunny said.

"Noona, we're always going there! Their house is so boring!" Taemin whined.

"Yah, we're going to Naeun's house, not where you're thinking we're going." Sunny scolded.

Taemin's face brightened immediately. "Jinjja? Why didn't you tell me before? Aigoo....I have to go see what I should wear..." Taemin chattered away to his room. 

Finally, he would be able to speak with Naeun without any interruptions from Krystal. Krystal was a nice girl, but she tended to annoy him with her cute voice and unnecessary aegyo. Naeun was more natural and didn't need to do aegyo to be cute.

Naeunnie, I hope you're as excited to see me as I am to see you! Taemin hoped as he settled on a pale blue dress shirt and dress pants.

~~~

The bell rang twice before Naeun was able to open it.  

"Annyeong haseyo. Come in." Naeun welcomed.

"Annyeong haseyo. " Taemin and Sunny greeted both Naeun and Eunji who just entered the living room. Naeun led Taemin and Sunny to the couch and they all sat down. Naeun's mother sat in a single chair. Unfortunately, Naeun's father was unable to make it, due to his excessive amount of work.

"So, how's school, Naeun?" Sunny attempted at a conversation starter.

"Noona, you sound like an ajhumma." Taemin complained. Taemin's comment eased their awkward atmosphere, as everyone laughed. Naeun smiled at how Taemin still had the straightforward trait of his.

"It's fine." Naeun replied.

Eunji, Sunny, and Naeun's mother began to discuss about Sunny and Eunji's future, and Naeun stared at the ground, not knowing what to do.

"Naeun, do you want to go look at the stars outside?" Taemin asked.

"Sure. Let me just tell Umma." Naeun said. She whispered to her mother and left with Taemin to go outside. 

The two sat down on the soft, dark green grass and gazed at the infinite number of stars that poured into the sky.

"I used to look at stars with Eunji unnie. We named as many as we could." Naeun reminisced.

"Jinjja?" Taemin said. "I used to just look at stars and wondered why they weren't as big as the moon was."

Naeun giggled. Taemin suddenly shifted a little closer to her and her smile faded.

"So, how's life?" Taemin casually brought up.

"It's good. I'm glad we've been practicing more lately." Naeun said.

"Ne, I am too. It's fun to be with you." Taemin confessed. He blushed and looked away, as did Naeun. 

Son Naeun, stop thinking about Taemin as a crush. He doesn't like you and Krystal needs to be with him, not you. Naeun thought.

"How's Krystal?" Naeun teased.

"She's nice."

"You two would make a good couple. You should go out with her, someday." Naeun couldn't believe what she had just said. She had just given away her first love and maybe her last. 

Taemin stood up in shock. Naeun....you don't like me.....It's official. I should've known you were too good for me. It's better if I don't be with you. You're too perfect, Son Naeun. Thank you though, for giving your time away, and being friends with me. 

"Maybe I will....." Taemin said, staring at Naeun before leaving.

Author's Note:

Annyeong! 

Oh no.....what's happening?! Why did Naeun do such a thing to her first love? Stay tuned for the next chapter and keep on commenting! :)