Remaining Strong

Eternal

"Naeun is..." Eunji paused,closing her eyes.

"Naeun is what?!?!" Taemin demanded impatiently.

"Naeun is in the hospital. She will not be home for a while." Eunji said quietly.

"Why is she there?" Taemin asked.

"Lung cancer."

"Why? Naeun doesn't smoke." The idea that Naeun would get such a disease was silly.

"Ani. She does not. In fact, no one in our family does. Except that Naeun has been around too many dangerous chemicals as a child. My father worked in a factory as the manager. He took Naeun with him, but I guess she wasn't able to cope with the chemicals like other people. She spent a lot of time with my grandfather who smoked as well. All the past effects are starting to show up now. That's why Naeun's been coughing differently lately. Her weakness and all are symptoms." Eunji explained.

Taemin remained silent. Tears were on the barrier of coming out, but Taemin stopped them. He would not cry.

"Taemin, are you okay?"

"Aniyo, noona. I am not. The only girl I ever liked is ill and I want to be by her side."

"Taemin, not even my parents can be near Naeun. She is being treated. Luckily, we took her to the hospital just before she could've....died."

"Can we at least go to the hospital?" Taemin pleaded.

Naeun, why don't you take care of yourself?Taemin thought.

"Aniyo. Taemin, you need to go to school tomorrow. Please tell Naeun's teachers the current situation. I'll go to the office and hand him an absence note."

Taemin sighed. All he wanted to do was see Naeun and make sure she was alright.

He left the house, nodding to Eunji. Eunji sighed.

"Naeun-ah, why do the worst things happen to the nicest people?" Taemin said to himself.

Sunny's usually jovial face became serious as she saw a teary-eyed Taemin walk up the steps.

"Aigoo....Taeminnie,its alright.  Naeun will regret this." Sunny said, solacing him.

"Noona, Naeun is in the hospital." Taemin said.

"Waeyo?"

"She has lung cancer. Her surroundings weren't the best place for her, as a child and even now. We aren't allowed to even go near her. She is being tested." Taemin bit his lip.

"Taemin-ah, are you alright?"

"Noona, what about Naeun? Is she alright? Who cares about me?"

"I'm sure Naeun does." Sunny smiled.

"Ani. I'm just an arrogant guy to her. I don't deserve her." Taemin expressed.

"Taemin, I know you could be pessimistic, but what is this? Look up. You must believe your dream will come true." Sunny said.

Taemin wordlessly left and plopped onto his bed. He held up the song that he and Naeun composed. He gently touched her name. Finally, after looking at Naeun's name, he put the paper aside and fell asleep.

~~~

"Taemin, where's Naeun? She told me she would ask you to walk with her today." Jessica asked.

Taemin stared at her, thinking of what to say. "Noona, Naeun is in the hospital. She was diagnosed with lung cancer last minute. Please don't tell anyone."

Jessica turned pale. "Aigoo...Naeunnie....Can we go visit?"

 Taemin shook his head. "I asked Eunji noona."

At that moment, Krystal, Jongin, and Luna spotted Taemin's grim face and immediately rushed to his side.

"Taemin, what's wrong?" Jongin questioned.

Taemin stated carefully about Naeun's condition.

He answered their questions and left to go to his class. His mind only ached to see Naeun.

~~~

"Does anyone know where Naeun  is?" Sooyoung questioned, as she usually did when someone was absent. She noticed the abnormally glum faces of Krystal, Jessica, Ki Kwang, and Taemin. It was funny that they were all Naeun's friends.

"Lee Taemin, do you have an idea where Naeun might be?" Sooyoung directed towards Taemin.

Taemin took a deep breath. "Seon saeng-nim, Naeun was diagnosed with lung cancer last night. She is in the hospital currently and her sister requested schoolwork to be sent to me for her. So may I receive it?"

Sooyoung let out a small gasp. "Alright. I shall do this right away. Can Naeun have visitors?"

"Aniyo. Even her parents cannot see her." Taemin answered.

Class went on smoothly, but the students couldn't help but stare at the empty seat next to Taemin from time to time.

~~~

"Onew hyung, I want to see her." Taemin demanded.

"Fine. Do you want to go to the hospital then?" Onew asked.

"Yes. I do. Naeun is more important than school." Taemin said.

"Taeminnie, where has the smile on your face gone?" Onew sighed, taking Taemin to a nearby bus stop.

"Onew!!!!" A girl's  voice broadcasted.

Onew stopped to see Jessica and Luna running to them.

"We'll come  with you. We know where you're going." Jessica said.

Onew nodded and found Taemin already at the bus stop.

"He's in love, Sica. True love... One that will not end because of a problem." Onew smiled.

"Is ours that kind of love?" Jessica asked.

"I don't know, Sica. We'll have to see." Onew said.

~~~

Taemin nervously walked in front of the others. Luna felt like a third wheel with Jessica and Onew, so she rushed to meet up with Taemin.

"Taemin, will Naeun be okay?" Luna questioned.

"I don't know." Taemin said quietly.

Taemin spotted Naeun's parents and walked to them.

"Taemin, Naeun has been asking for you." Mrs.Son said.

Taemin began to speed up to them.

Naeun's father pointed at a door and Taemin silently opened it.

He shivered. Naeun was lifeless and languid on the cot. Her body was hooked up to several tubes. She seemed to have lost all the color in her face.

Taemin knelt down beside her and held her hand tightly. He touched it to his forehead and leaned against it.

"Naeun-ah, why do you do this to yourself?" Taemin whispered. Suddenly, he felt Naeun's hand touch his forehead. He looked up and saw Naeun smiling.

"Taemin-ssi, you're here." Naeun said. Taemin wiped away his sadness and grinned. He was at a loss for words.

"Taemin-ssi, I'm sorry for not meeting you last night." Naeun apologized.

Taemin chuckled. Even at times like this, you manage to be so thoughtful and considerate. That's why you're so likable.

Luna, Jessica, and Onew opened the door to Naeun's room and smiled at her and Taemin's closeness.

"Naeun!" Jessica exclaimed, rushing to her. Luna stood on the side, watching Naeun from afar.

Suddenly, a doctor came from the office. Taemin stood up and called Naeun's parents.

"Excuse me, will all of you meet me outside? Naeun-ssi, they will be right with you." The doctor said.

The the small group of people stood outside waiting for the doctor to speak.

"Naeun has a very serious case of lung cancer. I'm afraid to say that she should get her priorities in order, just in case. Make her happy." The doctor immediately left after speaking.

 Taemin froze. What was this? Naeun had to get her priorities in order? She wasn't going to die.

"No, no.....NO!!!!" Taemin shouted, hysterically.

"Taemin, calm down." Onew put his hand on Taemin's shoulder.

Taemin closed his eyes and took deep breaths. A small fire lit up in his eyes. His body language had changed. He seemed stern. He would not cry. He had to remain happy for Naeun. She could never see him like this.

"Alright. I will do anything to make Naeun happy. She is my priority." Taemin stated.   

Author's Note: 

Hi chingus! 

Sorry for not updating in a while. I've been having a lot to study.... 

How was this chapter? Please do not fret too much about Naeun! I assure you the story won't be ending sadly... :)

Also, I'll be going on a two or three week hiatus. Unforunately, I've been stressed lately and I will be very busy in the following weeks, so I won't be able to update much.