Reality's Present

Eternal

Naeun stood up for the first time in days. Her body became accustomed to the daily therapy she was receiving, so she felt better. Her lost energy was slightly regained.

"Naeun, sit down!" Eunji exclaimed.

"Unnie, I'm alright. You don't need to worry." Naeun assured. Naeun walked up to the window and gently touched the glass. Her fingers pressed aggressively against it and made fingerprints when she removed her hand.

"Unnie...." Naeun began. "Can you give me my song book?"

Eunji handed her a purple notebook with Naeun's name written clearly. This book comprised of all the song lyrics Naeun loved and incessantly looked through. She would often listen to these songs, while reading their lyrics.

Naeun opened the book. She flipped each page one by one. Finally, she stopped at a page and read the lyrics.

gibun joheun parameul ddara nuni pushin jeo haneul arae
areumdaun norae joheun hyanggiro gadeukhan neowa geotneun gil
Following the happy breeze, beneath that bright sky that blinds me
Beautiful melodies and fresh air fills this road that I'm walking with you

Then, she began to sing them slowly. She paused and sighed.

"Eunji unnie, you can go home. Jessica unnie said she'll be here soon. You have to study." Naeun said.

"Naeunnie, I won't leave you alone." Eunji refused.

"Unnie, you know I won't give in to you. Please go. I don't want to be a burden to you." Naeun urged.

"Aiish. You are my sister. You're never a burden to me. But I'll go. Annyeong." Eunji ruffled Naeun's hair and hugged her tightly.

Naeun smiled and then stepped up to a full size mirror. She looked at her thin legs, her deeply bagged eyes, her pale skin, and her blue hospital gown. She walked out of the hospital room and saw her nurse hurrying down the hall.

"Naeun-ssi! What are you doing outside?" The nurse gasped.

"Jwesong-hamnida. May I go outside? I feel strong today." Naeun asked.

"Well, alright. Please take this with you and press it if you need assistance." The nurse said, handing her a pager.

"Ne. Komapseumnida." Naeun thanked and went down the hall towards the balcony. She pushed the door open and fresh air welcomed her. Naeun coughed before entering the balcony.

She smiled brightly and relished in the radiance of the sun shining. She had not been this joyful, since before the hospital, which had been three weeks ago.

 Aigoo.... I've taken the outside world for granted. Its been so long since I've seen this blue sky. When can I have this life again?

"Annyeong!!!" Naeun shouted happily to a hospital worker from the balcony. The worker looked up and smiled at her. Footsteps were heard coming toward the balcony. Naeun turned around to see Jessica looking furiously at her.

"Son Naeun! What are you doing here?" Jessica demanded.

Naeun turned around. "Unnie, the nurse allowed me to come here. I needed some fresh air."

"Yah, you have to get some sleep!!! Even if you feel well, you need to relax!" Jessica said.

"Its okay, unnie. Also, I may or may not have a surprise for you soon. You'll like it." Naeun smiled.

Jessica tilted her head in wonder.

"Jinjja? What?"

"I'm not going to tell you. It's a surprise, of course!"

Jessica sighed. "Alright. Whatever. Son Naeun, you are making me tired." Naeun laughed loudly.

The two friends remained silent, watching people rush in and out of the hospital.

"Unnie, I am getting better."

"That's amazing, Naeun!" Jessica clapped her hands together.

"I guess." Naeun said. She shifted away from Jessica and leaned against the railing of the balcony.

"Naeunnie, what's wrong?"

Naeun sniffled. "Unnie, I don't like this life. Everyday, I am asked if I am alright. There are so many people that fret about me. I feel that I am burdensome to everyone. Yesterday, Eunji unnie was rejected for a role because she didn't do well on the audition. That was because she didn't practice enough. Her lack of practice was because of me. She spent all her time here, looking after me. From now on, please don't visit so often. I'm fine here alone."

Jessica walked up to Naeun and hugged her.

"Yah, we do all this because we love you, okay? Don't try to prevent anyone from coming to see you. They are doing it because they love you." Jessica smiled.

"So, I can't stop you?" Naeun smiled.

Jessica shook her head. "Do you want to go inside?"

Naeun nodded her head. As Naeun and Jessica went into the hospital room, they saw two doctors looking at two reports sedulously.

One doctor, a short woman with chin length hair, looked up and smiled at Naeun.

"Annyeong haseyo, Son Naeun." The doctor greeted.

"Annyeong haseyo." Naeun bowed.

"I'm  Dr. Oh Yeon Seo. That's Dr. Choi Siwon. We're here just to check you before you leave." Dr. Oh Yeon Seo informed, holding her report up.

"Leaving?" Naeun exclaimed. Did the doctor mean leaving the hospital?

"Yes, leaving. Naeun-ssi, reading your test results, we have seen that your lack of fresh air has been affecting your health. I can tell that you miss going outside, as well. So, your doctors, as well as your parents, have made the decision of letting you come home for a couple of weeks before returning to the hospital. It may improve your health." Dr.Choi Siwon explained.

"Jinjja?" Naeun gasped. "Am I leaving today?"

The doctors nodded and Naeun smiled brightly. She was going to abandon the tedious hospital and return to her sweet home.

"Yay!" Jessica cheered, hurrying to pack Naeun's belongings.

"Excuse me, Naeun-ssi. Please remember. Do not wear yourself out. It is crucial for your lungs. They need as much clean air as they can get." Dr. Oh Yeon Seo warned.

Naeun nodded, but continued to pack.

Kyaa~!! I'm coming home! Lee Taemin, you'll be so pleased! Naeun thought.

~~~

Taemin sighed once more and turned back to his writing. He was unable to concentrate with the noise levels of the cafeteria. His Dance teacher was forcing him to read a book about the fundamentals of exceptional dancing, as a punishment for not paying attention in class.

How was he able to though? His mind was inundated with thoughts of Naeun. He desired to see her. Luna had not come to see him yet to take Naeun's presents. Each time Taemin tried to speak to Luna about this, she would either suddenly remember she had other tasks to do or that she forgot. Taemin soon became exasperated at Luna's excuses, however. He vowed to scold her the next time they met.

A figure sat next to him and he looked up to see who it was.

"Onew hyung." Taemin tried to smile.

"Yah, stop thinking about her!" Onew ordered.

"I can't,hyung. She is unforgettable. She's left such a mark on my heart that I cannot erase her from it. I hope she becomes healthy."

"Taemin, I hate to tell you this. Lung cancer cannot be cured, like most cancers, and this cancer is something most people die of." Onew said softly.

"No! That cannot happen! Hyung, that will not happen! Please tell me that!"

"I'm sorry. Your love for her will eventually disappear, Taemin. Forget her." Onew advised. "What good will it do to love a dying girl?"

"Onew hyung. You don't comprehend love. I thought you did. Love is staying with the same person forever. I will be with Naeun, even if she isn't. I know she will be though. I love her, hyung. My love for Naeun is eternal."

"Eternal? Hey, I read some fan fiction titled Eternal." Onew teased.

"Hyung!"Taemin sighed.

"Taeminnie, you can only hope. I'm sorry for being pessimistic but I'm only stating the truth." Onew smiled.

Taemin nodded and began to walk with Onew to his next class, when a girl bumped into him.

"Mianhae." Taemin mumbled and went around the girl.

"Yah! Lee Taemin! Its me, Krystal!" The girl shouted.

"Oh, Krystal, its you. What's up?" Taemin discerned.

"I have some excellent news for you!" Krystal jumped up and down.

Taemin chuckled. What could be so excellent that Krystal was acting like a child for?

"Naeun is coming home for a couple of weeks. She has to go back and she's only coming because the doctor said that being cooped up inside wasn't good for her."

Taemin's jaw dropped. In that moment, the entire world froze. He broke into a wide smile.

"Son Naeun is coming?" Taemin whispered. He suddenly cried joyfully and hugged Onew tightly. He began to dance around happily and smiled to himself.

Kyaaa~!!! Naeun-ah, you're coming home!!! I missed you. Your return is a fortuitous gift and I will cherish it. Who knows if I'll be able to later?

"Aigoo, he's such a kid." Onew said, looking at Taemin's contentment.

"When is she coming home?" Taemin asked, after his happy dance.

"Today evening, I think. Jessica unnie told me."

" Aiish. I would have known about this if they had not made that stupid rule about females only in Naeun's presence." Taemin grumbled.

"What?" Krystal said, confused.

"You know the rule that males can't enter Naeun's room or see her for some reason? That's why I wasn't able to see her these past few days and give her my little presents." Taemin explained.

"Jinjja? I saw Naeun's father and Ki Kwang visit her. Maybe only selected males can visit her." Krystal said.

"That's a strange rule. Who told you this?" Onew questioned.

"Luna-ssi." Taemin responded. Now that he thought about it, it did seem like a peculiar rule. This was a co-ed hospital, so what was the problem of allowing males to see a female in need? Taemin also wondered why he was the only one who couldn't see her.

"Oh well. At least you get to see Naeun now." Krystal smiled. Taemin nodded. He would speak to Luna later about the regulation.

~~~

Taemin peeked through the maroon curtains for the nth time to see if Naeun had arrived.

"Yah, she'll come soon. She has to check out and pack all her things. It will take a while." Sunny said, watching television.

Taemin sighed. Naeun-ah, hurry!

He shuffles around the room, peeking an eye out the window once in a while. Eventually, he became tired and decided to take a seat. He heard a knock on the door and rushed to open it.

A young girl with long, black hair staring at him. Her figure showed signs of emaciation with small bags underneath her eyes and a thinner body structure. She shyly smiled at Taemin, strands of hair falling into her face.

"Naeun....." Taemin was rendered speechless. Though he had only not seen her for a few days, it had seemed like a century to him. In these few days, Naeun had changed. She looked healthier.

"Taemin....I'm back." Naeun said. Taemin walked closer to her and spread his arms around her body, encasing her into a gentle hug. Naeun wrapped her arms around  Taemin tightly. She missed him and his beautiful smile terribly.

"Taemin-ah, I missed you. Even in these few days, I was not able to stand a say without thinking about you. I know it seems cheesy but it's factual. You have made me happier, Taemin-ah. Thank you. And...." Naeun hesitated.

"And I want you to be my girlfriend." Taemin said, looking into her eyes.

"Yes....I will." Naeun froze. She felt giddy inside. There was a fluttery feeling inside her. She wanted this moment to last forever.

Taemin looked back at her as she did him. He felt as if he was on top of the world. He wanted this moment to last forever.

My desired wish has come true. Now, what more can I ask? Their minds thought alike.

Author's Note:

Annyeong chingus!

I updated a somewhat cheerful chapter today! ^^ I hope you enjoyed reading it!

http://www.wonderfulgeneration.net/2010/01/snsd-forever-lyrics-englishromanization.html#ixzz340Q74qkd