Strength and Belief

Eternal

Taemin gloated as he thought about his interaction with Naeun. His girlfriend. Lee Taemin had a girlfriend now and that was all the university spoke about.

Taemin heard loud whispers about the uncanny girl he loved and how she was a celebrity and that they had a secret relationship.

"Omo, Taemin oppa is taken! I hate this celebrity!"

 "They met at an audition that Taemin failed, but she succeeded!"

"She's probably a singer, right?"

Taemin chuckled at all the comments and went to his Vocals class. His teacher was speaking to a girl who carried several packets of paper.

"Take your seat, Naeun. It's wonderful to have you back." Sooyoung smiled.

"Ne. I'm happy to be here again." Naeun smiled back. She took her seat, when a pair of hands covered her eyes. She gently touched them and said, "Lee Taemin, I know its you."

"Surprise!" Taemin said. Naeun giggled and removed his hands from her eyes.

"So, how was your morning?" Taemin asked.

"It was good. Thanks to Luna and Jessica unnie giving me all the make up work, I was able to catch up quickly."

"That's great. Naeun-ah, you're too intelligent."  Naeun blushed and shook her head.

"Aniyo. I just think ahead. Taemin...."

"Call me oppa!"

"Okay. Taemin....oppa?" Naeun turned pink, as she called Taemin. Taemin felt his heartbeat fasten and grinned brightly.

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry."

"Waeyo?"

"I haven't been able to work with you on our song. When is it due? Has our grade been decreased?" Naeun sighed.

Taemin laughed. "Naeunnie, relax! Sooyoung seon saeng-nim said that we can take as long as we want because you know..."

"Alright. Let's hand in soon, okay?" Naeun said. Taemin nodded, as the teacher began to speak to commence the lesson.

"Everybody, please welcome Son Naeun back to the class." Sooyoung gestured to Naeun, who gave a diffident smile.

"Naeun! You're back!" Ki Kwang whispered from behind her.

 Naeun turned around and whispered, "Yes, I'm back!"

Taemin chuckled at Naeun's ebullience.

Naeun-ah, I can just stare at you all day. Do you realize how happy I am that you're back? Taemin thought.

~~~

"Naeun-ah, do you know how happy I am that you're back?" Taemin said, sitting next to Naeun. They had met up after their last class of the day had ended and now were just relaxing with each other's company.

"Aniyo. How happy are you that I am back?" Naeun said. She glanced at Taemin's proximity to her and blushed.

"My happiness could stretch across the Earth eighteen times. That's how old you are." Taemin said.

"Jinjja? Wow, you really are happy. You know how happy I am?" Naeun looked at Taemin. He shook his head and awaited her answer.

"This much!" Naeun spread her arms out as wide as she could. Without further thought, Taemin took Naeun's hands and wrapped them around him.

"I want you happy enough to be able to hug me." Taemin smiled.

Naeun blushed. "Lee Taemin! We're  out in the open!"

"So what?" However, Taemin broke free and put his arm around Naeun instead. Naeun gently leaned onto his shoulder. Taemin held her hand tightly as she squeezed his hand back. Naeun suddenly stood up when she heard her name being called.

Son Naeun!" Luna hollered to where Naeun and Taemin were sitting.

"Luna! Annyeong!" Naeun greeted, hugging her friend.

Taemin glared at the grass. He wasn't exactly liking Luna at the moment. He was still suspicious about the hospital rule she had fabricated to prevent him from coming to visit Naeun.

Luna met Taemin's eyes and looked away guiltily. Naeun frowned at the two, sensing a tense atmosphere.

"What's wrong?" Naeun asked.

"Ani. Nothing's wrong." Luna smiled.

"Then why are you two so awkward with each other?" Naeun demanded.

"We just aren't close." Taemin assured.

"Don't fret. I'll make you two close."  Naeun laughed. The two nodded, with Taemin's tight lips and Luna's hesitant look.

"Yah, Son Naeun! Lee Taemin! I heard about you two! Congratulations!" Jessica and her sister, along with Onew, came rushing to the trio.

Naeun smiled and looked at Taemin. He grinned brightly and nodded.

"You're a true man now, Taeminnie. Or should I say Tae-MAN.". Onew said.

"Hyung!" Taemin groaned. Naeun smiled at his embarrassment.

"Naeunnie, you have grown up!" Jessica hugged her friend tightly.

"Congratulations, Naeun and Taemin." Krystal said.

"We aren't getting married or anything!" Taemin exclaimed. Everyone burst out in laughter.

"Well, do you want to get going then?" Naeun said.

"Ne. Annyeong!" Taemin and Naeun bid farewell to their friends and began to walk home.

At first, the two walked side by side with a few inches of space. As time went on, they went closer and closer to each other. Eventually, Taemin slowly laced his hands in Naeun's. Naeun glanced at her hands and smiled.

I never imagined that this would happen. Lee Taemin, what did I do to deserve this? Naeun thought to herself.

As they reached Taemin's house, Naeun broke free from his grasp and waved to him.

"I'll be going then! Bye bye, Taemin!" Naeun said.

"Aniyo. Come with me. I want you to see Sunny noona." Taemin urged. Naeun nodded and followed Taemin into the house.

"Noona! Naeun and I are here!" Taemin called, standing in the living room.

"Taemin, you're already here." Sunny smiled and walked to the couple.

She noticed Taemin's and Naeun's entwined hands and giggled.

"Aigoo...you two are dating!" Sunny clapped her hands together. Naeun turned red and looked down.

"Noona! You're embarrassing us!" Taemin whined.

"Taemin, you go take a shower. You reek of a foul odor. Naeun, how are you standing near him?" Sunny said.

"Jinjja? He doesn't smell funny." Naeun shook her head.

"I do?" Taemin widened his eyes. He immediately looked at Naeun and said, "Naeun-ah, I'll be back, okay? Mianhae."

Sunny stared at the two for a moment and waited until Taemin ascended the stairs.

"Naeun, I was only kidding about Taemin. I want to tell you something without him here." Sunny said.

"Ne." Naeun nodded. Sunny led her to the couch and told her take a seat. Naeun obeyed.

"Naeun, you are one of the luckiest girls on Earth. Why? Because Lee Taemin likes you. Taemin will take care of anyone he loves like a queen. He loves you, Naeun. He's always thinking about and its so sweet to see. I want you to know that he has loved you from the beginning. I actually introduced you to him when he first came here. Did you know that? I told him that you were the girl next door. He was too timid to start a conversation though. He's very quiet and only opens up to some people. He has chosen you as one of those people. Naeun, please don't break Taemin's heart. It would literally break his heart if you suddenly decided that you had enough of him." Sunny expressed open-heartedly.

"Unnie, I'll never leave Taemin's side even if he wants me to. I love him, unnie. He truly made a huge impact on my life. I've become happier because of him. Thank you for telling me this." Naeun hugged Sunny.

"I feel like an ahjumma with all this." Sunny complained.

Naeun smiled and saw Taemin coming down the stairs.

"Unnie, I have to go now." Naeun said.

"Alright, Taemin's here though. Its your choice whether you want to stay or not." Sunny said.

"Annyeong Taemin!" Naeun smiled.

"Call him oppa!" Sunny goaded.

Taemin watched Naeun pleading her mentally to call him oppa.

Naeun looked into Taemin's eyes. "Annyeong Taemin....oppa."

Taemin's eyes twinkled brightly.

"Omo!!" Sunny squealed.

Naeun blushed. "Okay, bye!"

Taemin walked her out and before she stepped onto the sidewalk, he grabbed and hugged her tightly. He looked up and kissed her forehead gently.

Surprised, Naeun stood still and let him embrace her.

"I love you, Son Naeun." Taemin whispered before letting her go. He waved at her and made sure she safely stepped into her house.

~~~

"Naeun, please step to the front and show us how to sing without a nasal feel." Sooyoung requested.

Naeun walked to the front and slowly sang to "Beautiful Days" by J-Min.

The class applauded loudly, especially Taemin, at Naeun's singing. She bowed and went to her seat.

"I've seen that many of you are slacking, in terms of singing, lately. I'm disappointed because this is one of most talented class I have seen since I was a second year myself. Please practice at home, guys. It's worth it and you'll be praised for your singing. Jessica Jung and Lee Ki Kwang, we are doing an impromptu test. You two will be doing a duet of your choice. Please come up to the front." Sooyoung announced.

Though Naeun tried to focus, her mind drifted to thoughts of her career. Would she be able to have a future? Her health was far too dominating for her to look at other faces of life.

At the end of class, Naeun walked to her teacher and said, "Seon saeng-nim, can I continue singing?"

Sooyoung was fazed. "Of course. Why can't you continue it?" She froze. Now she understood.

"Sooyoung seon saeng-nim, I want to become a singer, but I'm afraid I cannot. I don't like this life. Why was I cursed to become a cancer patient? This disease is pushing my loved ones away from me. Its forcing me to and I despise it. I can't continue with this anymore."

"Naeun, stay optimistic. You never know if a miracle may occur." Sooyoung advised.

Naeun thanked her and solemnly left the building.

I wish I would not have a slow and painful death, where I can see the pain my family goes through. Naeun sulked.

 As she walked to head to her favorite seating area, she noticed Taemin and Luna speaking earnestly about something near the  gates of the school.

She observed Taemin's change between a heartbroken expression and a resentful expression. She cautiously walked to him and smiled sweetly. Taemin gave her a tight smile and Luna turned around.

"Naeun..." It was obvious that Luna was nervous.

"What happened?" Naeun asked.

"Naeun, can I tell you something?" Luna said.

"Of course."

"Taemin-ssi, please do not say a word until I'm done speaking." Luna said. "I told him the truth, Naeun. I initially said that the hospital banned males from seeing you. However, Krystal kind of ruined it for me when she told Taemin-ssi about seeing your dad and Ki Kwang-ssi there. I didn't want to hurt either of you, so I lied. I'm sorry." Luna confessed. Naeun widened her eyes and looked at Taemin. He looked so vulnerable and she walked to him. He was staring into space, leaning against a tree. Naeun hugged him tightly.

He ignored her and said, " Why, Naeun?" Her eyes followed his own.

"Because I care about you."

"If you care about me, why did you try to keep me away?! I love you so much Naeun! I will do anything for you and I will endure any time of pain for you, whether it be physical or mental. I am strong enough to withstand any unfortunate events. Where has your optimism gone? Why did you think such a thought? You will stay with me for as long as I live, Son Naeun. I'll make sure of that."

"Taemin-ah, I have to be realistic. Lung cancer does not have a cure and most people die from it. What makes me special? I don't want us to become close. I want spend time with you. Did you know I was even reluctant to accept your confession? I love you, too, if you didn't know. I don't want you to suffer when I'm gone. So, lets enjoy the time we have together now that we are together. It was unwise of me to even accept you." Naeun poured out. Her sudden slip-up had shocked herself more than it had Taemin.

Taemin gazed at her. He slowly picked up her hands from his and squeezed them.

"I can take it, Naeun." He replied, dangerously quiet.

"Taemin-ah....you can't. I know you."

"Why don't you believe in me, Naeun?!" Taemin raised his voice.

"Well, I'll be going." Luna quietly said, but the couple were too engrossed in each other.

"I do. Everyone falls apart when their girlfriend or boyfriend is dying. It doesn't matter how strong you are."

"I'm different. I will be able to."

"Aniyo. Everyone says that. Haven't you seen movies?" Naeun backed away from Taemin and sat down on a bench. She looked down at the road and sighed.

"Naeun-ah, just trust me."

"Taemin, I'm dying. You won't be able to withstand my death. Please let go of me."

"Son Naeun!!" Taemin's voice grew stern. Naeun froze, looking at him. "Why are you so pessimistic? You will not die! Stop thinking like this. Why have you become like this? I will not leave you, no matter how much you want me to."

"Then, I will. Goodbye, Lee Taemin. I'm proud to say that I was yours and you were mine for at least two days." Naeun's faces dripped with tears as she clutched her bag and left Taemin dazed.

"Naeun....." Taemin dropped onto the bench. His eyes welled up and he let the tears fall, slowly at first, and then like a waterfall.

Naeun-ah, why did you do this to me?