They Don't Understand

Only in Fiction...

 

A/N: Hi everyone!  I'm sorry for the really late update.  I've just been so busy with school.  This chapter kind of gives background on Jaehwa's family and past.  Thanks to T-Tshinee for the awesome banner and background!  And thanks to my readers and subscribers!  I'll try to update more often!

 

---2---

 

“Yoboseyo?” Jaehwa mumbled tiredly into her cell phone as she collapsed into a chair.

The dancer had just finished a long practice at the studio.  The Beast members were on a short trip to Japan to promote their new Japanese album, “So Beast”, and would be gone for a few days.

“Jaehwa,” a familiar deep voice answered.

The girl automatically straightened her posture.  “Appa!”

“Your mother and I just wanted to check up on you.  How are you?” her father replied.

“I’m fine.  Um...how are you and umma?” she asked quietly.

“We’re also fine,” he said.

The tension could be felt through the phone.  Jaehwa knew what was coming next.  He broke the silence.  “Jaehwa, we want you to consider going to university full time.  You’re not going to get anywhere with your dancing career.”

She sighed, having anticipated his words.  “I’m sorry, appa.  But I’m happy with what I’m doing right now.”

“You start school in the fall.  You’re not going to be able to keep your grades up while juggling dance and school.”

“My major is going to be music and dance anyways!”

“Jaehwa, listen.  Your mother and I have a proposition for you.  Please consider it.  We want you to give up on dancing and attend medical school.  You’ll go so much farther in life.”

Tears glazed Jaehwa’s eyes as she listened.  “You’ve told me this many times already, appa.  I’ll give you the same answer as I usually do.  I intend to continue with my dream.  Someday, I know I’ll make it to the top.  I’m sorry, but this is my decision, not yours.”

There was a long silence on the other end of the line.  “I understand, Jaehwa,” he said, disappointment clear in his voice.

I understand.  He always said that.  But he never really understood.  Jaehwa’s parents had never approved of her choosing dance and music as a career.  All her life, they pushed her in academics and education.  It had always been study, study, and study for as long as she could remember.

However, inside, Jaehwa had always wanted to become an idol and travel the world.  She taught herself how to dance and trained her vocal ability by singing alone in her room.  She and Yoseob practiced together for the years leading to the JYP auditions.  After the harsh rejection, they were both ready to give up.

It was then that Jaehwa realized that Yoseob had so much more potential than she did.  She decided to help him on his dream even though she knew it was highly unlikely that she would reach hers.

Jaehwa was so proud of Yoseob when he made the Cube auditions and joined Beast.  However, it was a different story for her.  She ranked at the bottom of the list.  Her parents took this to their advantage and tried to convince her to give up.  And she did.  For a while at least.

Yoseob tried for weeks to get his best friend to return to the music scene.  Jaehwa remembered the words he had said that finally woke her up.  “Son Jaehwa, stop being such a hypocrite!  You always tell me to never give up and to always go for my dreams.  So why are you giving up so easily on yours?”

“Jaehwa?” her father’s voice brought her back to reality.

“I have to go, appa,” the girl said quietly.

“Alright.  I love you, Jaehwa.”

She sighed.  “I love you too, appa.”

Jaehwa closed her phone and leaned back into the chair.  “What should I do?” she whispered to herself sadly.