The Perfect Duet

Only in Fiction...

 

A/N:  So much homework...and I've only been back in school for a couple of days...

 

---16---

 

CEO Hong drummed his fingers on the armrest impatiently, anxiously awaiting Seobhwa’s final recording.  After he had finished scolding them, the two had stayed backstage for a while.  Hopefully, they will produce some better results, he thought nervously, carefully calculating in his mind the amount of money spent on the duo’s promotions.

Just as he finished estimating the project group’s wardrobe budget, one of the directors beside him signaled, “We’ll be live in 5…4…3…2…1…”

-----------------------------------------

Dujun and Dongwoon had returned back to the dorm after the rehearsal prerecording.  The leader seemed slightly miffed at how much the duo’s performance was lacking.  Sighing exasperatedly, he entered the apartment to see the rest of the members sitting around the TV, eating dinner on the floor while waiting for Seobhwa’s live debut stage.

“The prerecording wasn’t that good,” Dongwoon explained to his Hyungs, “We couldn’t stay for the live because the managers wanted us to leave before all of the fans came crowding in.”

“I just hope the live goes better than the rehearsal did,” Dujun added in, taking a seat next to Junhyung, who was lying on his stomach, propped up by his elbows.

After a few opening acts, the Inkigayo MCs appeared on screen.  The five Beast members simultaneously leaned closer to the television as the MCs announced the next act, introducing the debut of “Cube’s most anticipated duo yet”.

“Well, what about Hyuna and me?  What does that make us?” Hyunseung grumbled, rolling over onto his back to get more comfortable.

“Hyung, move!  I can’t see the screen because of your big head,” Gikwang complained, shoving his way in between Junhyung and Dujun to get a glimpse of the TV.

Junhyung childishly stuck his tongue out at him before focusing his attention back to the show, resting his head on a pillow.

On the screen, the stage lights were dimmed, revealing the silhouettes of two figures, a female and a male.  The caption “Yang Yoseob & Son Jaehwa” appeared at the bottom of the screen followed by the title “Love Day”.

First, the spotlight on the left slowly brightened, and Jaehwa’s melodic voice began the song.

I have been really wondering

I have been wondering of everything

Why can’t I sleep

When I saw your face

Dujun nodded slightly in approval.  Her voice was slightly shaky, but that was probably from nerves.

Then, Yoseob’s voice rang out.

I’m wondering too

This heart is wondering

When I see only you,

A smile will come up first

As the verses went by, the Beast leader noticed a constant trembling in the pair’s voices.  The chorus was coming up, and the two kept glancing at each other but never meeting each other’s eyes.  Dujun held his breath, silently praying that the song would be a success, in both the vocal notes and the emotions displayed.

Onstage, Jaehwa visibly took a deep breath, slowly turning to face Yoseob, who mirrored her moves on the opposite side of the stage.

I really really like you

I love you that I’m going mad

I want to say the same thing

I hope you don’t mind,

Let’s just wait a little longer

Jaehwa’s eyes automatically closed as she sang, pouring in the same amount of passion that she had put into recording the song on that first day, if not more.  Yoseob let a smile rest on his lips as he gazed his partner.  She looked, in a way, angelic.  Her face was illuminated by the bright spotlight as she pushed her vocals to the very limit, but still managing to sound effortless.  For the first time since they started recording the song, both Jaehwa and Yoseob looked at ease, emotions evident in their eyes and movements as their voices harmonized together.

At stage front, CEO Hong breathed out a sigh of relief as he heard the true talents of the duo he had created.  He was satisfied as he thought, They are perfect for each other

Everyone seemed drawn by the enchantment of the pair’s voices.  Nobody could dare look away from them, not in the audience or in Beast’s dorm.  The idols sitting in front of the TV kept their eyes glued to the screen while the people in the audience stared in awe.

No, you you I love you

Now, I’ll tell you all with my heart

Will you believe in me (I’ll believe in you)

This is love (We are in love)

Side by side

Let’s walk together, both of us

-----------------------------------------

Dujun watched carefully as the song ended.  Yoseob took Jaehwa’s hand, taking her by surprise.  But after exchanging a quick glance with him, she relaxed, following his lead as they graciously bowed to the crowd together.  Dujun raised an eyebrow in interest when Yoseob did not let go of Jaehwa’s hand, even after they had stepped off the stage.