Noticing

Only in Fiction...

 

A/N: Sorry for the late and really short update.  Final exams...

 

---23---

 

“Oppa, what do you think of this?” IU asked cutely as she held a pink bow up to her hair.

“Huh?” Yoseob snapped out of his daze and looked at her.  “Sorry, what?”

IU sighed.  “Nevermind,” she said softly, placing the bow back on the table.

Finally finding free time in both of their schedules, IU and Yoseob had decided to spend the day together.  They had met up at Hongdae’s entrance right before lunch.  After eating a quick meal, they began to browse the many shops and stands lining the streets of the area.

Yoseob seemed completely out of it.  His mind kept replaying the past day’s events with Jaehwa.  No matter what he did, he could not get the thoughts of her out of his mind.  He could still feel her soft lips pressing gently against his.  He remembered gazing into her beautiful dark eyes as their faces moved closer and closer–

“Oppa?  Oppa?” IU spoke up, tugging lightly on Yoseob’s arm.  “Let’s go to the next shop.”

“Ah, alright,” he said distractedly, following her as she excitedly headed for the accessories.

As his girlfriend looked around at the merchandise, Yoseob stared off into space.  Suddenly, he heard a pair of female voices from somewhere behind him.  I must be going crazy, Yoseob thought exasperatedly, I swear that sounds like Jaehwa.

“Unnie, why couldn’t I stay home and rest?”

“Come on, you haven’t been shopping with me since your debut!  Please?  Just for a couple of hours?”

The other girl sighed.  “Arasso.”

Yoseob’s eyebrows furrowed as he strained his neck to see over the shelf that blocked his view.  “Oppa, how does this look…” IU trailed off before asking curiously, “What are you doing?”

Yoseob turned to face her and scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.  “Nothing.  I just–”

“Look who it is!  Yoseob-oppa and IU-ssi!”

IU peered around Yoseob’s frame while he spun around.  “Annyeonghaseyo,” Hyuna greeted cheerfully as she pulled a reluctant Jaehwa along with her.

Jaehwa gave the couple a small smile and a quick wave, but avoided eye contact with Yoseob.  IU opened to say something to Yoseob but stopped short when she noticed the way Yoseob’s gaze never wavered from Jaehwa’s direction.  She pursed her lips in irritation at his lack of attention on his own girlfriend.

Hyuna’s sharp eyes did not miss the signals Yoseob was unknowingly sending to Jaehwa.  She smirked inwardly, satisfied that Yoseob was finally realizing his genuine feelings for his longtime best friend.  Everything’s going to work out just fine, she thought.

IU broke the silence.  “Yoseob-oppa and I were just about to leave.  It was nice seeing you!” she attempted to say brightly through a strained smile.  “Oppa, let’s go.”

Hyuna raised an eyebrow at the girl’s demanding tone.  The 4Minute member watched the couple through narrowed eyes as IU quickly yanked her boyfriend to the exit.

She turned to Jaehwa, who was quietly staring at the floor, dragging the toe of her shoe across the pavement.  “You know,” Hyuna began with a teasing grin on her face, “Yoseob likes you.”

Immediately, Jaehwa looked up in surprise.  “W-what?”

“He likes you.  I can tell.”

Jaehwa shook her head fervently.  “No, you’re just imagining things, unnie.  He’s dating IU.”

“Yes, but he has feelings for you.  I can see it and so can IU.  Why do you think she left so quickly?”

Jaehwa stayed silent, unable to think of a counterargument to Hyuna’s statement.

“Trust me on this.  He’ll come around eventually,” Hyuna firmly insisted, patting her friend’s shoulder comfortingly.