Memory

Only in Fiction...

 

A/N: Who's ready for BEAST's comeback?!?!?!   ^^

 

---14---

 

“Are we ready to start again?” the producer asked patiently.

“Ne,” Jaehwa mumbled while Yoseob just nodded his head.  During the past ten minutes, the two had sat silently next to each other while the producers discussed different aspects of the song.  Jaehwa had stared straight ahead, not daring to look over at the boy only a few inches away from her.  Likewise, Yoseob had fixed his gaze on the sheet with the lyrics printed on it.

Jaehwa sighed in relief when Yoseob stood up to record his individual lines.  She fidgeted uncomfortably but froze when his pure vocals echoed around the room.  Curious, Jaehwa sat next to the producers, who were staring intently at the Beast member, their fingers moving up and down the dials on the dashboard.

Jaehwa gathered up the courage to face Yoseob.  His eyes were closed, his hands clasped firmly over the sides of the headphones.  A smile graced his lips as he effortlessly hit the more difficult notes.

So, that’s how it shall be

Me and you it shall be

When our hearts are together

That is when it starts

 “Hyung, how was it?” Yoseob asked cheerfully when he was finished.

“Perfect this time, Yoseob,” the producer nodded in approval.  “We won’t have to redo your parts like usual.  This time you got the emotions exactly spot-on.  What changed?”

The boy grinned dreamily.  ”I’m in love,” he announced, his eyes sparkling with happiness.  “This song completely describes my feelings.”

Jaehwa’s heart clenched.  Same here, she thought, averting her gaze to the floor.

“Okay, are you two up for recording the chorus now?”

Yoseob nodded eagerly while quickly scanning the sheet of lyrics in his hands.  Jaehwa’s eyes darted up to him for a moment before she sighed.  “Ne, let’s do it,” she mumbled reluctantly.

They placed the headphones over their ears, and the chorus of the guide song started.

I really really like you

I love you that I’m going mad

I want to say the same thing

I hope you don’t mind,

Let’s just wait a little longer

She closed her eyes and once again, vocalized as well as she could.  It was ironic how the person she was singing for was standing right next to her.  She snuck a glance up at him again, relaxing slightly when she caught the brilliant smile on his lips again.  If only that smile was for me, she thought before mentally scolding herself.  Why are you thinking these things?  Be mature, Jaehwa.

“Jaehwa, stand a bit closer to Yoseob.  The microphone can’t pick up your voice completely.”

She nodded, shifting over until her arm brushed Yoseob’s.  A spark exploded from just that one touch.  Jaehwa tensed, pulling her arm back before quickly looking up at him again.  His expression remained nonchalant, obviously oblivious to the spark.  It’s probably just my imagination, Jaehwa tried to convince herself.

But in reality, Yoseob had also felt the small spark.  He attempted to act passive, keeping his features neutral to avoid giving anything away.  What was that? he thought to himself, bewildered.

He glanced at the girl beside him.  When he had walked into the room earlier and had seen Jaehwa in the recording room, he suddenly remembered the first time he had heard her sing. 

-----------------------------------------

“Jaehwa, what do you want to be when you grow up?”

The younger Jaehwa smiled.  “I want to be a singer,” she said proudly.

Yoseob laughed as he took a bite of his sandwich.  “Do you even know how to sing?” he teased jokingly.

Jaehwa pouted.  “Of course I do!” she asserted, crossing her arms.

“Then show me.”

“Ne?”

“Sing for me.  I want to hear.”

“Out here?” she asked in surprise, gesturing to the grassy park they were picnicking in.

“Yes.  Is there a problem?  If you want to be a singer, you need to be able to perform first,” Yoseob said, grinning.

“But there’s no audience.”

“I’ll be your audience.  Please, Jaehwa?  I want to hear.”

“Arasso, oppa,” she gave in, searching her mind for the lyrics of her favorite song, ‘Waiting for You” by Fin.K.L.

When she opened to sing the first words, Yoseob felt his young heart beat faster.  Although the pitch wasn’t perfect, he was captivated by her pure voice.  Suddenly, he saw Jaehwa in a new light.  She had always meant a lot to him as his best friend.  But after hearing her sing, something changed.

“Oppa?  Oppa!” Jaehwa broke into his daze. “Oppa, was it that bad?” she asked timidly, hiding her blushing face in her hands.

“Ani!” he suddenly shouted, making the younger girl jump in surprise.  “Mianhae, Jaehwa.  That was amazing.  You’re going to be a great singer,” he said, hugging her comfortingly.

“Thank you, oppa,” she whispered.

-----------------------------------------

The memory reawakened something inside Yoseob.  But it only made him more confused about his feelings.  What’s going on?  I like Jieun.  I like Jieun, he chanted to himself, closing his eyes and throwing himself into the song.

But as he continued to sing, Jaehwa’s face kept reappearing in his mind.

I really really like you too

In truth, my heart got a little bit attached

I’ll wait a little longer

(Can you wait a little bit longer)

I’ll be there (Will you be here)

Our heart is already together

-----------------------------------------

“Daebak!” Gikwang exclaimed as the Beast members crowded around the small laptop, ‘Love Day’ sounding from the speakers.

“Hyung, can you raise the volume a bit?  I can’t hear!” Dongwoon pleaded from his spot on the floor.

“I’m trying!  Yah, Dujun, you need to get a new laptop,” Hyunseung complained as he fiddled with the volume controls.  “This one seriously .”

Dujun rolled his eyes.  “I will when I can afford it.  Now shut up, let us listen to the song.”

When the song ended, the leader straightened, standing up to stretch.  “I’m impressed.  I didn’t think Yoseob had it in him.”

“Hyung, he’s our main vocal.  Why the surprise?” Junhyung asked, raising a brow at the leader’s statement.

“I know that Yoseob’s a great singer.  But I didn’t know he could put that much emotion into a song.  I wonder what was on his mind.”

“Probably IU,” Dongwoon piped up.

“Hm…maybe,” was Dujun’s response.