Too Late

Only in Fiction...

 

A/N: Okay, just in case anybody is a major IU fan:  I don't hate her in real life.  Actually, she's one of my favorite solo singers so just remember that this story is purely fiction!  Oh, and please check out my new story "White Confession".  I'm probably going to add a chapter to that one this weekend.

 

---4---

 

Jaehwa stood backstage, trembling anxiously.  This was her first major performance since she had entered the music industry.  Why wouldn’t she be nervous?

Suddenly, she heard her ringtone go off in her backpack.  After bowing apologetically to the staff, she hurried to check her messages.

Good luck! –Dujun

Show them how it’s done! –Junhyung

Jaehwa hwaiting! –Gikwang

Can’t wait to see my favorite dongsaeng perform! –Dongwoon

Do your best!  Hwaiting! –Hyunseung

Smiling, Jaehwa put her phone away.  Then, she realized that there was nothing from Yoseob.  Oh, he must be busy, she thought, glumly.

The girl quickly shook off the uneasy feeling in her chest as she followed the other dancers onto the darkened stage.  She breathed in and out slowly, trying to calm her nerves.  Her limbs automatically moved when the opening of G-NA’s song boomed through the speakers.

As she danced, Jaehwa searched the energetic audience for some familiar faces.  The dancer grinned when she spotted a group of boys cheering loudly at one of the tables near the stage.  They jumped up and down in excitement while enthusiastically chanting the words to the song.

For some odd reason, there were only five members of Beast at the table.  Jaehwa scrunched her eyebrows in confusion as she looked for her best friend.  They’re not going to be performing for a while…where could he be? she thought worriedly, I hope he’s okay.

As G.NA rounded into another single, Jaehwa had to force herself to concentrate on the dance rather than on her best friend’s whereabouts.  However, the apprehensive feeling kept nagging her in the back of her mind, as if trying to warn her of something.

When the song finally came to a close and the backup dancers followed the idol off the stage, Jaehwa let out a sigh of relief.  She felt that she had done well, but her mind had been elsewhere during the entire performance.

All of a sudden, her thoughts were interrupted when a large somebody ran into her from behind.  “JAEHWA!” Dongwoon exclaimed as he practically tackled her.

Surprised, Jaehwa turned around to meet the smiling faces of Beast.  “Oppa-dul!” she answered, laughing. “How’d I do?”

Gikwang cheered, “You were amazing!  Daebak!”

Dujun scrutinized the girl’s expression, immediately noticing that her smile didn’t reach her eyes.  “Jaehwa, what’s wrong?” he questioned seriously, seeing right through her mask.

Jaehwa automatically started to deny the leader’s keen observation.  Silently, she counted the heads.  Still five.  Her bright smile fell.  “I–”

Suddenly, she remembered something. “Wait a minute, when is Yoseob-oppa’s special appearance?” she asked.

Junhyung also noticed her sudden change in attitude.  “I think he’s up next.  Why?”

The younger girl’s expression cleared at the realization.  “Oh, so that’s why he wasn’t there.”

The rapper raised an eyebrow suspiciously.  “Is that why you looked so distracted on stage?”

Jaehwa nodded quietly, a blush tinging her cheeks.  Hyunseung cooed jokingly, “Aw, Jaehwa’s worried about her oppa!”

Rolling her eyes, she playfully elbowed him.  “Aish!  Let’s go back so we don’t miss his performance.”

The boys rushed off.  However, Dujun stayed behind, his face serious.  “Oppa?  Are you okay?” Jaehwa asked in a concerned voice.

He looked at his dongsaeng without answering for a while.  Then he said, “Son Jaehwa, do you have feelings for Yoseob?”

Jaehwa was taken aback.  Her eyes widened.  “N–” she started to deny, but he cut her off.

“Don’t lie,” he said, narrowing his eyes, “I see your expression every time you are with Yoseob.  I also saw how troubled you looked on stage.”

She shook her head.  “I don’t know what you’re talking about.  He’s my best friend and only my best friend,” she protested, trying to hide her secret.

“Do you not know who’s performing with Yoseob tonight?” he demanded.

“No,” she said in confusion, “Nobody ever told me.”

His eyes widened.  “What?  Aigu…” he muttered, running a hand through his hair.

The leader took a deep breath.  “Yoseob’s performing with IU,” he said, watching for any change in the girl’s demeanor.

She bit her lip as thoughts rushed through her head.  Jaehwa knew all too well about Yoseob’s famous fanboy crush on IU.  Rumors were always floating around about the two.  She remembered when she watched their ‘Marshmallow’ performance.  Jealousy had filled her even though the younger girl had never done anything to her before.

Putting on a fake smile, Jaehwa looked up at Dujun.  “Really?  That’s great!  He must be so excited,” she lied smoothly.

Dujun was not convinced.  He just searched her expression for any hint of emotion.  To prevent further discussion on the topic, Jaehwa quickly turned around and hurried out of the backstage area.  However, it was not fast enough.  The leader caught a glimpse when her smile disappeared the second she walked through the door.

 

-----------------------------------------

Jaehwa settled into the seat the boys had saved for her, again hiding her chaotic emotions.  I have to be mature about this, she reassured herself, it’s just a harmless collaboration.

The first notes of IU’s ‘Good Day’ echoed throughout the stadium.  The stunning IU stepped out, singing with her melodic voice at perfect pitch.  Jaehwa waited anxiously for Yoseob’s appearance.

Soon enough, the Beast member joined IU on the stage.  His deeper voice matched flawlessly with hers as they harmonized.  The girl in the audience couldn’t help but feel envious.  She thought bitterly, They’re perfect for each other.

Jaehwa saw Dujun stare at her from her peripheral vision.  Even with all her effort, she just couldn’t bring herself to smile.  Instead, a tint of sadness clouded her normally happy features.

It’s too beautiful, beautiful day

Make it a good day

Just don’t make me cry

As the last note hung in the air, the applause started.  Jaehwa attempted to seem enthusiastic.  Before the pair left the stage, IU spoke into the microphone, “Thank you, everyone.  Love you all!” as she and Yoseob made a heart together.  

IU quickly gave Yoseob a kiss on his cheek, causing him to blush bright red.

“Aish, Seobie is such a fanboy!” Junhyung joked, rolling his eyes.

Jaehwa laughed only half-heartedly.  Her heart was still aching from watching the pair’s closeness.  It didn’t help when Hyunseung added onto Junhyung’s jibe.  He chuckled, “I wouldn’t be surprised if they return to Seoul as a couple!”

Dujun shot Jaehwa a sympathetic look.  She brushed it off, trying to act nonchalant.

A short while later, the Beast members left to join Yoseob backstage for their performance.  Jaehwa watched their spellbinding newly remixed choreography of ‘Fiction’ with the twist of Hyunseung and Hyuna’s ‘Trouble Maker’ special.

Yoseob was obviously very happy.  Anyone with eyes could see that.  He danced more energetically and sang with more emotion than ever before.  Jaehwa knew that, without a doubt, it was because of IU.

-----------------------------------------

After they returned to Seoul, the Beast managers offered to drive Jaehwa back to her apartment.  In the van, she stayed silent as everybody excitedly chatted about the awards ceremony and their ‘Best Dance Performance’ win.  Jaehwa wasn’t the only quiet one though.  However, in his case, he was dreamily staring out the window at the passing cars and trees.  The girl unconsciously touched the star necklace resting on her chest.

Dujun kept alternating glances between her and Yoseob.  For the first time since Beast’s debut, they sat at different sides of the van, with the worried leader in between.  The other members had caught onto the silence, but Dujun was the only one who knew what was really going on.

When the van stopped in front of her apartment, the girl picked up her bag and stepped out of the vehicle.  “Annyeong, Jaehwa,” Dujun said, sending her a concerned look.

Hyunseung, Gikwang, Dongwoon, and Junhyung chorused, “Annyeong, Jaehwa!  See you tomorrow!”

Jaehwa waved and turned her gaze to her best friend.  She prompted uncertainly, “Oppa?”

Her heart panged when he did not answer.  Hurt, she sighed and waved to the members once more before closing the car door.

-----------------------------------------

That night, sleep kept evading Jaehwa.  She tossed and turned in bed as thoughts swirled around in her tired mind.  As memories from Yoseob and IU’s passionate duet filled her consciousness, tears started clouding her vision.

“Stop being so emotional!” she scolded herself, blinking in an attempt to clear her eyes, “It was just a duet!”

As expected, a lonely silence followed her short outburst.  A line from ‘Good Day’ ran through her head again.  Just don’t make me cry…

Within seconds, the tears cascaded down her face.  “Who am I kidding?!” Jaehwa shouted to no one in particular.

As she settled back into her duvet, she mentally vowed, I need to let go now…before this hurts me too much.

But deep down inside, she knew.  she knew that she was already in too deep.  And she knew that there was no way she could forget without getting her heart broken any more than it already was.