The Decision

Only in Fiction...

 

A/N: Okay, so I'm running on about 6 hours of sleep over the past week T_T and MS Word keeps crashing on me before I can save my work so I'm sorry if there are any errors!  I'm going to try to update often because I realized that it's been nearly two years since I started the story and... I'm still only on chapter 27!  =.=  I apologize to everyone who has waited so patiently since then!  I'll work harder to become a better writer!  xD

 

---27---

Yoseob paced back and forth in front of the large building.  He paused in his step, glanced uncertainly at the entrance, and then resumed his walking.

His head snapped to the side again when he saw the doors open.  Yoseob froze, his heart pounding with anxiety as someone walked through the double doors.

It wasn’t her.  The idol relaxed a little bit but was still obviously tense.  He bowed respectfully to the staff member as the man left for the parking lot, looking confused as to why the Beast member was waiting outside in the cold.

Yoseob scratched his head worriedly, staring up at the sky for a moment as he tried to gather his thoughts again.

Earlier that day, he had left the dorm before anyone had woken up, leaving for a walk to clear his mind and think about his decision some more.  When he was completely sure about his choice, he immediately texted Dujun, I’ll be back later.  I have something important to do, before hurrying off to his destination.

Then, he messaged another number.  Meet me outside the building when you have a break with your morning schedule. –Yoseob

That was about half an hour ago.  By now, Yoseob was beginning to doubt his decision again.  Different thoughts ran through his mind as he struggled between one choice and another.

“Pull yourself together,” he scolded himself before resuming his back-and-forth walking.  “It isn’t that hard to say a couple of simple words.”

As time passed, however, Yoseob became more and more nervous.  The cold morning weather was not helping him either.  He wrung his hands together to keep them warm, occasionally hopping in place to keep his blood circulating.

Finally, he decided to give up, checking his watch and sighing deeply.  He spun around on his heel and was just about to leave when the doors opened, and someone called his name.

“Oppa!  You wanted to see me?”

Yoseob in a deep breath before turning around and facing the person.  He stared into her eyes, but then hesitated.

“Jieun,” he started, wracking his mind for the words he had practiced earlier.

IU studied him with a troubled face, her expression mirroring his.  She had been thinking a lot lately as well and had also come to a final decision.

Yoseob found his voice again.  “Jieun, I’m sorry, but–”

Suddenly, IU let out the thoughts that had been locked up in her mind since the night before.  “I think we need to break up.”

Yoseob gaped at her, his jaw hanging in astonishment.  She had completely taken the words right out of his mouth.

Believing that Yoseob was shocked by the sudden breakup, IU quickly continued, “Oppa, this relationship just isn’t working out.  With our busy schedules, we haven’t been able to spend much time together.  It’s obvious that we’ve become distant.”

 “Jieun–”

“And I know there’s someone else that’s caught your eye lately.”

Yoseob blinked, stunned.  “How did you–”

She cut him off again, “Oppa, you’re not very subtle about it.  I think she is the one who has been in your heart all this time, hasn’t she?”

“I…” Yoseob trailed off, unable to think of an excuse.  “I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright, oppa.  I just want us to be happy, and I know that neither of us is happy at the moment.  Let’s not make a big fuss over this with the media, okay?  We’ll stay friends, right?”

“Deal,” Yoseob agreed, hooking his pinky around hers.  “You’ll find someone for sure, Jieun.  That someone just isn’t me.”

She nodded, smiling sadly.  Then, she turned and walked back inside, leaving Yoseob standing outside LOEN Entertainment, his mind up in the clouds again and a burden lifted from his heart.