Just An Act?

Only in Fiction...

 

A/N: Hehehe, hope you like this chapter~  This is what you were all waiting for.  You'll know what I mean when you read... ^^

 

---22---

 

When Yoseob and Jaehwa returned to Cube, it was already late afternoon.  They sat together, monitoring a few of their recent performances.  Jaehwa spoke up, “Oppa, I heard that you are making a solo debut soon.”

Yoseob nodded eagerly.  “We’re filming the music video teaser in a couple of days.”

“What’s the delay?” Jaehwa asked curiously.

“They’re still looking for someone to play the female lead.”

“Um…why not ask IU to do it?  She’s an actress, too, right?” Jaehwa offered, unable to meet Yoseob’s eyes when she said this.

“I already asked,” Yoseob muttered, looking down at the floor.  “She’s busy.”

Jaehwa noticed the disappointment in his voice.  “I see,” she said quietly before concentrating on the screen again.

Yoseob sighed, deep in thought as he mused about the upcoming events.  Suddenly, his eyes brightened as an idea came to him.  “Hey,” he said, looking over at Jaehwa.  “Why don’t you play the lead role?”

Jaehwa’s eyes widened in surprise.  “I don’t know…” she mumbled.  “I’ve never acted before.”

“You don’t need any acting experience.  It’s just a short video.  Please say you’ll do it!” he pleaded, clasping his hands together.

Jaehwa thought for a moment.  “Alright, but–”

“Great!  I’ll go tell Sajangnim!” Yoseob cut her off, jumping up excitedly and running out of the room.

Jaehwa blinked in shock before shaking her head in amusement.  “Aigu, that boy…”

-----------------------------------------

“Everyone, we’ll be filming in a few minutes,” the director announced to the staff.

Jaehwa tried to sit still as the stylist did her makeup.  Yoseob was watching her from across the room, making her feel slightly self-conscious.  “Oppa, you’re making me nervous!” she cried out.

“Sorry,” he replied before looking away.

Jaehwa tried to calm the fluttering in her heart.  Yoseob looked flawless.  The suit he was wearing gave him a more mature and masculine aura.  His bright eyes were lined seemed darker than usual, thanks to the makeup.  His hair had been dyed a lighter color, but it only seemed to fit with the set’s smoky surroundings.  Overall, he looked absolutely amazing.

Finally, Jaehwa was ready.  The director quickly guided her through the motions.  She was supposed to walk away from Yoseob in a dramatic break up scene.  Jaehwa felt slightly uncomfortable but tried to get into character, taking a deep breath and erasing the emotions from her face.

Yoseob stood across from her.  The cameras began rolling while the lights dimmed and the fog set in.  As they stared at each other, Jaehwa felt herself falling into his dark eyes.  Thankfully, the blush on her face was not visible due to the lighting of the set.

On cue, she slowly began walking away, breaking eye contact.  As she moved past Yoseob, Jaehwa felt his focused eyes still locked her, but she forced herself to look ahead and step out of the scene.

She let out a sigh of relief when the director finally yelled, “Cut!”

-----------------------------------------

Jaehwa watched in interest as Yoseob filmed his solo parts.  He lifted the cup of coffee to his mouth, slowly taking a sip before swallowing.  When he opened his eyes, he looked up, straight at Jaehwa and his lips teasingly.

She looked away immediately, feeling her cheeks heat up again.  I know he’s just joking around, but why does he keep making me feel this way? she thought to herself, attempting to keep her heartbeat under control.

A while later, Jaehwa sat beside Yoseob as they watched the staff put together the video.  Jaehwa stared in awe at the image of Yoseob surrounded by the smoke.  “Oppa, you did well today,” she managed to tell him.

“Thanks,” he replied, sending her a breathtaking smile.

The director suddenly leaned back in his chair.  “The video is missing something,” he thought out loud, tapping a finger against his chin.  “There needs to be something more for the audience to really get drawn in.”

Yoseob and Jaehwa looked at each other in confusion.  “Something more?” he mouthed to her while she shrugged in response.

The director turned towards the duo.  “Would you two be okay with a kiss scene?”

Jaehwa paled, her eyes widening.  “A kiss scene?” Jaehwa repeated in disbelief.

“A quick kiss will be fine,” the director tried to persuade her.  “Just to put at the beginning of the video.”

She began to protest when a male voice said, “I’m okay with it.”

Jaehwa’s head whipped around.  “What!?  Oppa, you have a girlfriend!” she reminded him, giving him a pointed stare.

Yoseob looked up at the ceiling in thought.  “It’s just a kiss.  Nothing will happen,” he said nonchalantly.

“It’s settled then,” the director said with finality.  “Everyone go back to their places.”

Jaehwa’s mouth dropped open.  “Oppa, what will IU say?” she asked, panicking.

“We’re just acting.  She’ll understand.  Relax, Jaehwa!  What are you getting so worked up about?”

Jaehwa’s heart panged when Yoseob said this.  She was scared, frightened that this would completely ruin her and Yoseob’s friendship.  They had just gotten back to being best friends.  How would this affect her feelings for him?

Well, he’s probably right.  One kiss won’t do anything.  Like he said, it’s all an act, she tried to convince herself.

-----------------------------------------

Once again, Jaehwa faced Yoseob in the smoky set.  However, this time, they stood only a couple inches apart.

“Ready,” the director prompted.  “Action!”

Yoseob never broke eye contact as he leaned down towards Jaehwa’s face.  Jaehwa’s heart thudded in her chest, threatening to burst out in anxiety.  Eotteoke! was the final thought on her mind before Yoseob’s lips touched hers.

At that moment, the barrier she had built up in her mind finally broke open.  Her feelings for Yoseob flooded out, enveloping her mind and swallowing up all other worries.   Jaehwa felt like she was in heaven as their lips moved in synchronization.

Her eyes instinctively fluttered closed as the warm feeling washed over her body.  Yoseob closed his eyes as well, allowing himself to forget about the music video, the cameras, and his current relationship status.

He had the urge to wrap his arms around Jaehwa’s waist, but the director had ordered for only their lips to touch, no other contact.  But Yoseob wasn’t complaining.

They kissed for what felt like an eternity, when in reality it was only a few seconds.  Neither one was willing to pull away first.  It was only when the director shouted, “Cut!” that they reluctantly opened their eyes and ended that kiss.

Jaehwa felt the heat rising up in her cheeks again.  She looked away, unable to meet Yoseob’s smoldering gaze.

Yoseob was officially confused.  Whenever he saw IU, his heart fluttered.  However, when he kissed Jaehwa, his heartbeat quickened, racing well past the normal pace.  When he looked at Jaehwa, a smile automatically came to his face.  When he talked with Jaehwa, every trouble that stressed him out was forgotten.  When he sang with Jaehwa, all of his emotions poured passionately into the song.

With IU, he felt a need to act his part, to play a certain role.  With Jaehwa, he felt genuine happiness.

What is going on with me? he thought in despair.