Distraction

Only in Fiction...

 

---28---

IU’s smile disappeared the moment she turned away from Yoseob.  She knew she had done the right thing.  But even so, she still had an empty feeling in her chest.  If only we hadn’t drifted apart, she thought to herself.

But she knew she had to move on from him.  Life goes on, and so must she.

-----------------------------------------

Yoseob hurried back to the Cube headquarters.  He felt so happy, like he was floating on air.  Dujun met the main vocal in one of the hallways.

“Yoseob!  You’re looking like you’re in a good mood,” the leader exclaimed, raising an eyebrow.

The singer nodded enthusiastically, smiling brightly.  “You bet!” he said.

Dujun studied the younger member carefully.  Then a thought struck him.  “What happened?  Did you–  Yoseob?”

But the other idol had already turned the corner and disappeared down another hallway.  Dujun sighed, curious to know what had made the main vocal so cheerful.

Yoseob continued his search for a certain person.  He first checked the practice room, but only the dancers were there.  Then he went in the recording studio, finding it vacant.

Finally, he came to the conclusion that she was not in the building.  Yoseob immediately headed for the subway station.

“I wonder why she’s not at Cube,” he wondered, watching the destinations flash by on the screen above him.

I hope nothing’s wrong, he thought worriedly.

-----------------------------------------

Nervously, Yoseob walked down the familiar hallways of the apartment complex.  Seeing the door wide open, Yoseob quickened his pace to reach the room and then peeked inside.

He heard loud voices arguing inside.  Who is it? he wondered, cautiously taking a step into the apartment.

“We had hoped you would be rational and take our advice, but it looks like we’re going to have to take matters into our own hands.”

“Appa, no!”

“Jaehwa, this is for your own good.”

“Umma, please!  You can’t do this to me!”

“We’ve already talked with various administrators at the university.  They’ve agreed to give you the entrance exam even though it’s already the second semester.”

Yoseob’s eyes widened.  Jaehwa’s parents wanted to take her out of Cube and send her to medical school instead.

“No!  After so many years, I’ve finally made it!  You can’t just come into my life again and take away everything I’ve worked for!” Jaehwa’s voice desperately tried to protest.

“Pack your things, Jaehwa,” her father’s unforgiving tone cut into her pleas.  “We’ll be back in a few days to take you home.”

Yoseob barely had enough time to hide himself in the adjacent bathroom as the Sons marched from the living room and out the door.

 He waited until their footsteps disappeared out the hallway.  Apparently, Jaehwa was waiting as well.  The moment the sound of the door slamming echoed through the small apartment, she burst into tears.

Yoseob rushed into the room to find the younger girl on her knees sobbing into her hands, her back facing him.  He instinctively wrapped his arms around her.

Jaehwa stiffened in surprise and was about to scream.  Sensing her panic, Yoseob immediately whispered, “Shh, it’s just me.”

Recognizing her best friend’s voice, Jaehwa’s tensed shoulders relaxed, and she turned around.  Yoseob allowed her to cry into his chest as he rubbed her back comfortingly.

“You heard?” she mumbled between sobs.

Yoseob answered quietly, “Yeah.”

Silence descended on the pair, except for Jaehwa’s quiet crying.  Yoseob her hair gently as she began to calm down.

“Don’t worry, Jaehwa.  We’ll get your parents to change their minds.  I promise.”

I guess my original purpose for coming here will have to wait until a better time.